Texas Fishing Forum

Walleye in Lewisville?

Posted By: teambassmanager

Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 02:33 PM

I have never heard of it BUT clearly it states that we did have over 800,000 Walleye stocked in Lewisville. Who has caught one? Thoughts?

Posted By: FMJag64

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 02:36 PM

Never seen one out there or caught one.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 03:28 PM

they put some in grapevine around the same time and I caught one off the old fishing barge. It was around a pound. I tried to lip it like a bass and then I saw some teeth. I was a wee lad back then.
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 03:38 PM

They used to try and see if walleye could survive in Texas lakes back in the 70’s. Only a couple these days still have them but I’ve caught em.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 04:10 PM

Cypress Springs got big stockings back then too in the early 70’s. Used to be a big billboard stating : “Lake Cypress Springs - Home Of The Walleye” when you turned off towards the lake, there’s Walleye Park...... Don’t know if anyone ever caught a single walleye from the lake. Examples of experiments gone bad(and wasted money). Oh well, don’t know if you don’t try. Saugeye do good in Lake Kirby in Abilene ands it’s a mud hole. Go figure? Closest to DFW with any that I know of is Wheeler Branch out by my house. Crystal clear rocky 85’ deep water. Prolly ought to catch one soon because no telling if they will ever actually reproduce there.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 04:23 PM

There are/were some in Squaw Creek. Buddy of mine tried to lip one thinking it was a smallmouth. He got a lot of razzing over the years about that.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 04:43 PM

I caught one years ago in the Trinity below the Lewisville dam while fishing for catfish. Lots of teeth!
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 06:50 PM

Most Oklahoma lakes have walleye or saugeye in them. Lake Murray, Lawtonka, Waurika just to name a few. I've caught several over 6lbs on deep cranks. Dang they are good to eat!
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 09:24 PM

Rayburn even had a stocking of them back then. They probably made it a week haha. Meredith in the panhandle had some big ones when it had water
Posted By: Toad Jerker

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 09:35 PM

Lake Greenbelt up towards Amarillo has some walleye and small mouth in it as well.
Posted By: Dr. Crank

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 09:52 PM

They must have stocked them in a lot of the lakes for a test run. I caught one about 2 lbs in cypress springs when it first opened and caught one about 3 1/2 lbs out of Ray Hubbard in the hot water discharge lol. I believe that was around 78 I guess that was a failed experiment no one talks about.
Posted By: cob

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 09:58 PM

Pottsboro Sportsmans Club and TPWD put them in Texoma in early 70’s. Three were caught in my boat. That was pre Striper stocking.
Posted By: watermelon orange

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 10:27 PM

Wheeler branch claims they have some still. I bet they are hard to catch out of a yak.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 11:31 PM

Conroe had them in the mid 1970's. I caught a pretty good one there. He was notfar from death when I caught him. Not many people I know ever caught one. Experiment down the drain.

Kind of reminded me of when WKRP let the turkeys out of the helicopter. They hit the ground like bombs. Nobody told them that turkeys can't fly.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/12/18 11:55 PM

Squaw had a very healthy population of them before that plant went online.
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 12:34 AM

We have them out here in a West Texas at Meredith, JB Thomas and Mackenzie. Much colder water than around DFW. Conchas and Ute over in eastern New Mexico have a great self sustaining population too. I caught a couple of five pounders using the old Hellbenders at Conchas within five minutes along the dam’s riprap rocks. Wind was howling straight into the shore and I’d heard they follow baitfish right up there too. Only two I ever caught at Conchas. We did catch a few at Lake Ellsworth near Lawton the same way. They really like that riprap. That was about 40-45 years ago when i was a kid. Great memories. Still think it’s the best eating fish out there. Culver’s even sells them seasonally at their chain of restaurants.

On a side note, around the same time as a kid, I can remember Oklahoma game officials stocking northern pike in Lake Humphrey’s near Duncan. They posted signs everywhere pleading with fisherman to contact them if they caught one. Looking at fishing reports today, it looks like another fail. TPWD even stocked a Tiger Muskie up in Nocona lake. Bet that was exciting for awhile! I kind of like that experimentation. Just keep trying. If they didn’t, we wouldn’t have stripers in fresh water (Santee-Cooper, S.C.) or redfish in Calaveras, Braunig or Colorado City lakes. Keeps it interesting
Posted By: KC Injection Baits

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 12:50 AM

In the late 70’s caught two behind the dam at Grapevine lake they were big but no more at one time there were also hybrids in grapevine but no more.
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 05:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker
Conroe had them in the mid 1970's. I caught a pretty good one there. He was notfar from death when I caught him. Not many people I know ever caught one. Experiment down the drain.

Kind of reminded me of when WKRP let the turkeys out of the helicopter. They hit the ground like bombs. Nobody told them that turkeys can't fly.
I missed the joke. I’ve seen too many turkeys fly away after my arrow ruffled a couple feathers but didn’t hit its mark lol
Posted By: Ed-n-eddy

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 05:31 AM

walleye, around here? OMG
That's all I ever fished for, way up north. Missing them down here.
Posted By: SwampyMarsh

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Ed-n-eddy
walleye, around here? OMG
That's all I ever fished for, way up north. Missing them down here.

Same here. I'm from Nebraska, but I'm gonna try wheeler branch apparently there is some there just have to know how to catch them
Posted By: skeeteroneal

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: watermelon orange
Wheeler branch claims they have some still. I bet they are hard to catch out of a yak.

Yes they are in Wheeler but you don't see many caught. I caught one 2-3 years ago out there throwing a crankbait in my kayak. Only one I have ever caught.
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 01:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishspanker

Yep... Conroe had them back then. Got 5 of them one morning on a white spinnerbait. I had no idea what they were until my dad told me.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 01:52 PM

I caught ONE in Ray Hub around 1975. I don't think they did well due to the warm water temps in the summer. Never heard of any others being caught there.
Posted By: Patrnflyr

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 02:17 PM

I was looking at TPWD’s site at stocking. At Lake Amistad in the 70’s they did the “throw it at the wall and see what sticks” method. They stocked millions of smallmouth, walleyes and even northern pike. I hope they keep trying. It would be nice to have some “exotics” in certain lakes around here. Surprised they haven’t tried peacock bass yet but I’m sure it would really damage the largemouth population.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 02:31 PM

tpwd was still figuring things out with stocking in the 70's. we had tiger muskie here too but those fish are long long gone...
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 02:43 PM

I did forget a couple of years ago my son and I caught 4 out of wheeler branch. Caught them on the right side of the dam in that cove.. That was when they allowed boats on the water. ALso caught bass in the same cove al on flukes.. Nothing big but fun..
Posted By: jafish

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 07:03 PM

I don’t know about now but several years ago white river lake held the state record. My son caught one at white river and I saw one in the Crappie house swimming around under the lights.
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/13/18 07:56 PM

Don’t forget Nile Perch we’re stocked in some lakes as well
Posted By: BTwrestle04

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/14/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
tpwd was still figuring things out with stocking in the 70's. we had tiger muskie here too but those fish are long long gone...

You sure it was Tiger Muskies and not just Muskies? Tiger Musky is the cross between a Northern Pike and Muskellunge. Would be a little surprising to me if they chose a subspecies that is more particular about cold climate (Northern Pike) than straight Musky.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/14/18 01:46 AM

There were Corvina stocked in Braunig many years ago. They were very large and catchable and looked a little like speckled trout. It was a stocking experiment that didn’t work out.
Posted By: ClarkC

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/14/18 04:08 AM

I had several walleye encounters sometime around 1975-1980. A guy fishing with me at Ray Hubbard caught about a 3# walleye while sand bass fishing out in the main lake. A few years later I caught a small one at Lake Palestine. I also caught a Sauger in the river below Texoma. Despite some of the stocking failures, I do wish they would get serious about a little smallmouth stocking. I have caught some nice ones in Texoma and Ray Roberts the last two years and it would be nice to see them continue to prosper.
Posted By: RL206

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/14/18 04:36 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
I caught ONE in Ray Hub around 1975. I don't think they did well due to the warm water temps in the summer. Never heard of any others being caught there.

We used to catchem on cb's and jigging spoons, they used to stack up close to the ridge at party cove and the levee between 30 and 66. They lived long enough to reach 9 lbs. then disappeared. Never saw any floating during that time or any other time.
Posted By: stetson

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/14/18 04:55 AM

Caught this one on a frog couple years ago on wheeler branch before they cut it off to bass boats
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/14/18 09:48 AM

The only ones I heard caught in Lewisville was by the old party cove area by the 35 bridge.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/14/18 11:15 AM

Originally Posted By: BTwrestle04
Originally Posted By: senko9S

You sure it was Tiger Muskies and not just Muskies? Tiger Musky is the cross between a Northern Pike and Muskellunge. Would be a little surprising to me if they chose a subspecies that is more particular about cold climate (Northern Pike) than straight Musky.

um, yes im sure. spent over a decade working with tpwd...
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/14/18 02:08 PM

Weird you ask, a couple years ago I was fishing next to the Lake Park GC. It was pretty calm out and I noticed what appeared to be a long slender fish about 14 inches just under the surface, creeped up within a few feet and thought to myself "that's a freaking walleye" wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it.
Posted By: Tony from Oak Point

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/15/18 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Weird you ask, a couple years ago I was fishing next to the Lake Park GC. It was pretty calm out and I noticed what appeared to be a long slender fish about 14 inches just under the surface, creeped up within a few feet and thought to myself "that's a freaking walleye" wouldn't have believed it unless I saw it.

I have caught logperch in the castnet on Lake Lewisville and they do have a walleye appearance although I've never seen one that big.

I'm still waiting to catch a monster Nile Perch stocked back in the 70s.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/fishboat/fish/act...0&Submit=Go
Posted By: basscat1

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/16/18 07:34 PM

My mom caught one while trolling for sand bass about 40 years ago. We were not sure what it was at first but it sure had a mouth full of teeth.

Bass-out
Posted By: 20lberorbust

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/16/18 08:13 PM

All of this Walleye talk but I am still looking for the LMB in Lewisville hammer
Posted By: teambassmanager

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/17/18 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: 20lberorbust
All of this Walleye talk but I am still looking for the LMB in Lewisville hammer

Super slow. Shakey Head. Rip Rap.
Posted By: DedShort

Re: Walleye in Lewisville? - 04/18/18 01:35 AM

I had a friend in high school that caught 2 at Lake Worth on the same trip. Only time I've ever heard of them being in there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum