Texas Fishing Forum

Ultrex Universal Sonar

Posted By: TysonS

Ultrex Universal Sonar - 04/09/18 04:11 PM

Do I understand correctly that the universal sonar on the ultrex only works for 2D? No down or side imaging?
Seems hard to believe that it would be this limited?

IF true is there any point in buying a graph with additional features if the ultrex cant use them? ( I understand I can mount any transducer on the unit but wanted to ask first)
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Ultrex Universal Sonar - 04/09/18 04:32 PM

That's all it did ever on fortrex either. You can run di/si off back ducers networked or put a ducer on your ultrex if you need it that bad.

Re: Ultrex Universal Sonar - 04/09/18 04:46 PM

Originally Posted By: WAWI
That's all it did ever on fortrex either. You can run di/si off back ducers networked or put a ducer on your ultrex if you need it that bad.

Thanks. I dont really need SI in the front, just surprised me that at minimum DI isnt available?
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Ultrex Universal Sonar - 04/09/18 04:48 PM

The 2d sonar is easy, it is standard, and the sounder is a set frequency that all 2d sonar head units can use. The imaging transducers are different frequencies, and not as standardized. It doesn’t mean you can’t install your own transducer and just not use the built in... That’s what most people do to get the added imaging or chirp components.
Posted By: Bahala

Re: Ultrex Universal Sonar - 04/09/18 06:14 PM

You are correct TysonS. I had a SI/DI transducer mounted to my Ultrex and recently pulled it off. I installed a Helix 10 GPS Sonar unit (no down imaging or side imaging) and connected it to the Ultrex's US2 transducer. We are really happy with the setup. The 2D is really easy to read and we find it more useful than the side & down imaging. That said, I am surprised Minn Kota doesn't include an SI/DI transducer build into the Ultrex.

Re: Ultrex Universal Sonar - 04/09/18 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Bahala
You are correct TysonS. I had a SI/DI transducer mounted to my Ultrex and recently pulled it off. I installed a Helix 10 GPS Sonar unit (no down imaging or side imaging) and connected it to the Ultrex's US2 transducer. We are really happy with the setup. The 2D is really easy to read and we find it more useful than the side & down imaging. That said, I am surprised Minn Kota doesn't include an SI/DI transducer build into the Ultrex.

Thanks for the reply! I am thinking I will do the same thing. It would be nice to have down imaging but not a must. It will also save me some money on the front Unit! Do you have the "Link" option? Do you recommend it? thanks for the help!
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Ultrex Universal Sonar - 04/09/18 08:22 PM

I disconnected the US2 transducer and put on another transducer and couldn’t be happier. It cost me $60 from Humminbird but it’s worth it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum