Texas Fishing Forum

brain forts days

Posted By: harvey walker

brain forts days - 04/08/18 02:04 PM

O K how many of y'all that have auto deploy and launch your boat only to find out you forgot to turn it on or left the remote in the boat. I was at the lake the other day and a guy was looking at his boat going away because he forgot to turn it on.

I have once got to the lake and found out that I left all my rods at home, I said once.

I had a friend that found out he didn't have his boat keys at the ramp, he had them on the gunnel and lucky it feel off in front of his drive way.

What your story?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: brain forts days - 04/08/18 02:19 PM

I fished most of a day with my boat plug not screwed in. It was pouring down and I thought it was just filling the boat real fast. Left the bilge pump on. Once the rain quit, I realized it was still sloshing up through the floor drain. Ha. Luckily, that boat I had I could open the back cover and grab the plug from inside and almost tighten it fully.

It held enough for me to finish the day.

That same boat didn't have locking lids (cheap Nitro). So I removed all rods every day. Went a hour and a half to fish a tourney and got there, then realized I had no rods and reels.
I borrowed a rod and reel from a guy and fished all day long with a Zebco 202.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: brain forts days - 04/08/18 02:24 PM

I launched at Oakridge early one morning during the week, only to find out that I forgot to connect my fifty ft rope to the boat. I started sweating a little when it took quit a while before someone else launched. I would have paid someone $$$ to take me to my boat but fortunately there are some good folks around .
I am the original DA, there are no others.
Posted By: z520c

Re: brain forts days - 04/08/18 11:14 PM

An embarrassing one sure.... During a boat launch a few years back, auto-deployed my Ulterra without it's slide plate locked. Dumped the TM into the lake @ Umphrey's in front of the Bass Champs field on Rayburn. With TM hanging only by it's sonar cable, had to hitch a ride out to boat. Luckily the TM recovered full functionality after four hours, and still works well today.

z

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 01:20 PM

ttf
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 01:45 PM

Left straps on prior to launching, haven't secured the bow after loading, forgot plug, left life jacket in attached to kill switch & blew out with switch on highway, boat has floated away from dock because I didn't secure it properly, etc... thankfully all these were on separate occasions. smile
Posted By: BMCD

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 01:55 PM

Recently I had my boat stored at Rayburn, took everything out and all electronics off the prior week. Left for 3 days of fishing at Toledo bend the next weekend and realized I left my electronics at home when I picked my boat up.

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 06:25 PM

700 reads and only 6 of use had B F days, at less we are honest. I know everyone has left the plug out at less once.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 06:33 PM

Left my tacklebox at home.
Drove to the lake once with the family cat hiding under the console.
Left the seats at home once.
Had a wheel run off the trailer and pass me on I-30 once.

Put in once at Squaw in heavy fog. Hugged the left bank straight toward the dam for forty five minutes at 2 mph.
When I got there, it was the ramp. - this was before gps.
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 06:33 PM

When my son I go together, he usually tows the boat with his big truck. When launching, I'm aboard the boat, and my son backs the boat in. ONCE, while I was disconnecting from the wench, I got distracted by something that caused me to go check something in the back of the boat. Don't remember what it was, but I sat down, and backed the boat off the trailer. Suddenly, I noticed I was pulling all the strap from the wench. Then since I was off trailer, my son took off up the ramp towing the trailer. HOLY ####!!! Luckily, I can whistle very loudly. I got his attention. He stopped just in time. I disconnected, and he reeled in the slack.
Posted By: danwig52

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 06:37 PM

I made it on the lake, boated all the way to the point I wanted to start... put the trolling motor down, turned around and realized.... not a rod on the boat..... had emptied them to do some re-arranging, etc and they were still on the rod mount in my garage.....
Posted By: Brent S

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 07:23 PM

Recently drove to lake worth and forgot my boat keys at home. Usually I keep them in the boat, but for some reason I had taken them inside. Luckily I live 15 minutes from the ramp.
Posted By: Buddy E

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 07:41 PM

Launched one morning in the dark, put the plug in the hole for the aerator, went and parked the truck and jumped in boat and took off. Thought it was a little slow to plane and then realized what I had done. Hit the bilge and run to shoreline and move the plug around, boy did I feel dumb.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 08:07 PM

Was camping and fishing at Purtis Creek one weekend long ago. Idled up to the bank to eat lunch, forgot the TM was down, that ended my day of fishing. Forgot the plug a couple of times too.
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: brain forts days - 04/09/18 08:23 PM

Okay, this one should take the DA award.
I bought my first boat back in 1975. It was a 15 1/2 ft Monarch with a 55 Johnson,,,new. The next week, we couldn't wait to get down the road to Toledo Bend. We left at 12:00PM and drove about 3 hours until the truck just felt different, so I pulled over, looked back and,,,no boat.
I left the nylon rope tied to the front of the trailer, tied by the salesman, but somewhere along the way the knot just broke. I had to make the call to the Highway Patrol, to ask the stupid question of, have you seen an orange and white boat on the side of the road. It was 75 miles back West along I20E and of course the Law didn't think it was especially funny,neither did I. It could have beed a lot worse.
This was an expensive lesson learned, we weren't as knowledgeable as we are now. Boat was repaired and I ran it for another three years

To make it worst, there used to be a sports writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram named John Thompson.
How he got word of this I'll never know but Monday morning's sport page had a funny but embarrassing write up about my incident.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: west tex angler
I bought my first boat back in 1975. It was a 15 1/2 ft Monarch with a 55 Johnson,,,new. The next week, we couldn't wait to get down the road to Toledo Bend. We left at 12:00PM and drove about 3 hours until the truck just felt different, so I pulled over, looked back and,,,no boat.
I left the nylon rope tied to the front of the trailer, tied by the salesman, but somewhere along the way the knot just broke. I had to make the call to the Highway Patrol, to ask the stupid question of, have you seen an orange and white boat on the side of the road. It was 75 miles back West along I20E and of course the Law didn't think it was especially funny,neither did I. It could have beed a lot worse.
This was an expensive lesson learned, we weren't as knowledgeable as we are now. Boat was repaired and I ran it for another three years

To make it worst, there used to be a sports writer for the Fort Worth Star Telegram named John Thompson.
How he got word of this I'll never know but Monday morning's sport page had a funny but embarrassing write up about my incident.

That's pretty bad roflmao
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: harvey walker
700 reads and only 6 of use had B F days, at less we are honest. I know everyone has left the plug out at less once.

I get it now clap -- The title threw me off-thought he was going to a celebration day for old Calvary forts.
I doubt any of us have been without some cranial flatulence. pollo
Posted By: Walls

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 01:44 AM

Like Bryan, I too have left the graphs at home a couple times. Not the end of the world. Drove from Houston to Amistad for a weekend though and had forgot to put all my rods back in the boat after spending hours at the house re-spooling and meticulously rigging each one. hammerBought a couple walmart specials and made it work.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 01:47 AM

Had a trailer tire come spinning off in front of me in the truck while I was running down Hwy 121 in a rainstorm.
Lost a trailer axle in downtown Dallas at 4am on a Saturday. Mainly worried about drunks hitting me on Stemmons.
Ran out of gas in the boat on the North end of Eagle Mountain and had to swim the boat about 3 miles back while wearing my life jacket. Nobody offered to help until I was 100 yards from the boat ramp.
Drove all the way to Fork one trip, got there very early only to find out I forgot or lost the plug.
Posted By: DJB

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 02:36 AM

Had my trim motor stick one morning unloading at a tournament. Couldn't figure out the problem finally had to undo the battery and go home. Got home and saw I had a rod on the deck hitting my trim switch !
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: DJB
Had my trim motor stick one morning unloading at a tournament. Couldn't figure out the problem finally had to undo the battery and go home. Got home and saw I had a rod on the deck hitting my trim switch !

Now THATS funny!!!

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 01:35 PM

DJB your post just remind me of what happen to me just tree weeks ago, I had fished for four hour on a windy day. I ran to the back of an cove droped the t m down and hit the switch and nothing happen, I checked the breakers and they were not tripped, gave up when home. Later I was checking the wiring, the batteries only to discover that the t m plug had came loose.
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: TxDanFishMan
Originally Posted By: west tex angler

That's pretty bad roflmao

Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 01:43 PM

I left my 100ft extension cable plugged in and drove off the fuel up, when some guy pulled up beside me to tell me I was dragging the darn thing all over the road.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 02:12 PM

Not really a brain fart, but an oh [censored] moment...must've been '95 or so & headed to Ray Roberts with my buddy and Dad's boat. Anxious to hit the water, I forgot about how bad the tracks were going to Jordan and didn't slow down. It was an old trailer and when we crossed the tracks a leaf spring snapped. The boat was thrown off the trailer into the ditch facing the opposite way of the truck. The road to Jordan was pretty busy with anglers headed to the ramp so it was a pretty embarrassing moment. A good Samaritan with a flat bed came to our aid about 1/2 hour later. With the help of 5 other anglers we loaded the boat (a 15' tri-hull) onto to the flat bed and put the trailer in the bed of my pick up. The good Samaritan towed our boat all the way back to The Colony. The look on my dad's face when he saw us pull up with the boat trailer in the pick-up bed followed by the boat on a flat bed trailer was priceless. That was just the beginning of a series of unfortunate events for me and my buddy with that damn boat. It was cursed.
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 03:18 PM

My Skeeter is the first boat I've ever owned and used. I had just bought it and was excited to hit Fork for a day. The drive is around 3 hrs and I left just before day break. Somewhere along the long drive I lost a trailer wheel and tire. I have no idea how long I drove with a three wheeled trailer but when I got to Fork, it was gone!
Posted By: Bissett

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 05:01 PM

I left my wallet on the back of my boat on the top coat. I drove about 4 miles and realized I didn't have it so I pulled off the road and it was still sitting right there. I guess the leather was enough to stick to the gel coat
Posted By: Motomax

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 05:15 PM

On a really windy day on the Vine I had my trolling motor fly off the bow and over my brother's head. I instinctively turned the boat around looking for it like it would float. Dag Gum trolling motor looked like the scene from Top Gun when they ejected out of their jet. Swam after my boat in February after "parking" it on shore, it was cold and nearly drowned. The next year in May my boat floated away from the dock (stellar knot job and learned my lesson to not swim after it). I saddled up on a jet ski with a guy to get my boat that was now on the adjacent shore. He ended up getting stuck in reeds, tossed him a rope and had to pull him out.. left the tie downs on the d-rings while launching, left the aerator on for waaaay too long. Proud boat owner for 4 years now... Hope to have got the brain farts out!
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 05:52 PM

Ulterra story here, launched my boat on Belton with the remote in the boat, caught a ride out to the boat.
Came back in, loaded up boat, just finished tying down the boat when I accidently hit the pedal of the Ulterra with the mode light on. Yup, TM started to deploy, hit the pedal again, just before the blade hit the trailer.
Problem was, it had cleared the winch on the way down but was not going to clear it to stow.
Ended up unsecuring the boat, relaunching it far enough to where I could get the motor stowed.

Other one was fishing a night tournament on Stillhouse, I was co angler in my buddies BassCat.
We came in around 3:30 am, stood in the parking lot bs ing, he left, I went and used the restroom, when I got to my truck I realized I had no keys. Searched all over the parking lot, no keys. Callled my buddy and yes my keys were laying on the deck of his boat.
30 minutes later he gets back to the park, but cannot get in, gates are down. I had to walk from the ramp up to the gate.
Posted By: fish4bass

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 07:27 PM

Backed down the ramp and got out of the truck without putting it in park. Hung on the door while it dragged me down the ramp and luckily got my foot in to the brake before going in the lake. I must have been excited to fish that day. And lucky nobody was around to witness it.

Backed down the ramp once and got out to get in the boat for my partner to back me in. He got out and locked it sitting on the ramp running. With a long line waiting to launch. Luckily some nice lady came down with a coat hanger and I got it unlocked pretty quick. Thought I was going to have to break a window. I have carried an extra set of boat keys in the truck and a extra set of truck keys in the boat ever since.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: brain forts days - 04/10/18 11:57 PM

I’ve pretty much done everything listed and some more than once.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum