Texas Fishing Forum

Water color ?

Posted By: Flooringit

Water color ? - 04/08/18 02:33 AM

I went by my local trout filled lake. It’s not very big prolly 60 acres. But is deep. Some spots 70ft. I went by to see the condition of the water and was surprised. It’s usually pretty clear but today it was brown. Not muddy brown. On the edge of the lake where you can see the waves hit shore there is a teal water ring all around the lake. I seen a spot where the water was very shallow you could see teal colored water. There is no grass in the lake it’s to deep for that. Anyone known what that’s all about ?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Water color ? - 04/08/18 04:17 AM

You will never know without the proper people to do the water test correctly. Then it will be an expensive search upstream to find out where it came from and who caused it. It does not sound like a natural happening.
You have work to do.

Re: Water color ? - 04/08/18 04:50 AM

We have lake biologist on duty here. It’s a poa community. I’ll be calling them Monday asking ?s. We know each other. They see me fishing a lot and see me tell them to make fishing better. Lol
Posted By: RCxpress

Re: Water color ? - 04/08/18 09:57 AM

Most likely and algae bloom. Probably blue-green algae in high concentrations creating the teel color. Wave action will push the algae toward shoreline causing the ring effect you described.
Posted By: RCxpress

Re: Water color ? - 04/08/18 10:03 AM

Should have mentioned that the brown could either be from localized runoff or possibly the lake turning over providing necessary nutrients for the alga to thrive.

Re: Water color ? - 04/08/18 06:20 PM

I thought maybe water turned over also. But the others In the area already had figured this one should’ve also. The teal is almost same color as hydro seed. I’ve never seen it before. I’m gonna go by biologist tomorrow

Re: Water color ? - 04/11/18 01:13 PM

Well the biologist called me told me it was algae dying. Reason was water warmed then we got a cold snap again and that killed a bunch off. What puzzles me is that’s the only lake inseeen here do that out of 7.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum