Texas Fishing Forum

Swim Jigs - Rolling Over

Posted By: Creekhead

Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/06/18 01:15 AM

Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep swim jigs from rolling over when using Craw Trailers? Do I need to switch to a heavier weighted jig?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/06/18 01:17 AM

Try placing the craw trailer vertically instead of horizontally.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/06/18 01:08 PM

You have to keep your craw straight so that it planes the bait correctly or you could have too much bulk for the weight. It could also be your skirt and not the trailer, make sure you don't have a wad of strands on one side or the other. And your weed guard if not straight or fanned our correctly can cause the bait to roll. Lighter jigs are typically best unless you have clear water so I would work with the above before going heavier. My best swim jig right now has hardly any skirt left I've so many fish on it and it seems to swim the best. When I start with a new one it's a process to get it to act right.
Posted By: Creekhead

Re: Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/06/18 05:07 PM

Thanks. I will keep experimenting
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/06/18 05:19 PM

Slow your retrieve down too. Also, some heads roll more than others. Jigheads that are narrow/streamlined will roll more than a more round or cone shaped jighead. At least that's my observation.
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/06/18 09:25 PM

Turn the craw vertically instead of horizontally.
Posted By: Patta-whack

Re: Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/07/18 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: JadensBasshole
Turn the craw vertically instead of horizontally.

This. Or when rigging horizontally have to make sure it is exactly level.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/07/18 02:14 PM

Heavier jig will roll less... but main deal is make sure your trailer is straight
Posted By: bholladay

Re: Swim Jigs - Rolling Over - 04/07/18 07:25 PM

Pretty much all the above, make sure the trailer is dead straight and maybe slow your retrieve down a little. But might try changing swim jigs all together, I went through a batch of the strike king swim jigs that wouldn't stay straight for anything. Switched over to 6th Sense and Santone mainly and don't have any issues .
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum