Texas Fishing Forum

Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where?

Posted By: go_cats_go

Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 01:47 AM

Planning a 4 day bass fishing trip w/ guide. Budget around 3k. Not looking for a world record. Lots of action w/ chance at a double digit? Mexico? US? What body of water?

Thx
Posted By: RCarter

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 02:14 AM

Falcon or Sugar.....contact guides in Zapata
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 02:39 AM

Clearlake CA...Matt Allan...if you can reach out early enough to get him booked.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 03:15 AM

El Salto
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 01:10 PM

Sorry, I can't do 4 days for that price; but I can do 6 days. It is a long drive as we pull the boats down there. You would need 10 days off work to make the trip and that is for you and a partner.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 01:27 PM

....... El Salto ......
You won't regret it !!!!
Posted By: franchi

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 02:01 PM

Do a bit of a change up. Float trip down river in a canoe or kayak for smallmouth
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 09:56 PM

Originally Posted By: go_cats_go
Planning a 4 day bass fishing trip w/ guide. Budget around 3k. Not looking for a world record. Lots of action w/ chance at a double digit? Mexico? US? What body of water?

Thx

Salto...
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 10:03 PM

Talked to a marine dealer on the phone yesterday and he said Toho and Kissimmee are out of control right now. 35 to 40 lb bags to win tournaments with a bunch of 8 to 10 lbers being caught.
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/01/18 11:44 PM

am going to comedero next week...pm me after I get back and will share with you how it was.....have been to both picachos and el salto with ron speed and they were both great experience... everything we've heard indicates comedero will be even better....
Posted By: go_cats_go

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/02/18 05:31 AM

Thanks everyone for the tips! I’m leaning towards Mexico!
Posted By: BCB

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/03/18 03:05 AM

beartrap is going to be the best answer on a Mexico trip. He will have experienced all three of our suggested reservoirs in recent time frames. For us Picachos fits that description and great trips now. We would like to hear how Comedero goes.

As for a trip in the USA there are plenty of options. MilleLacs and Sturgeon Bay for smallmouth, good suggestions on Kissimmee, don’t overlook Okeechobee, think about watching the Elites on Oahe as it’s going to really be something most likely. There are several northwestern reservoirs that will amaze folks. Idaho and Montana or Wyoming can really be that good.

If your taking your spouse then Sturgeon Bay is enjoyable. Another one for fun is the Butler Chain in Orlando or Lake Conway downtown Orlando. Conway can be 60-80 Fish a day and it’s easy. Take in Disney or just hang at Downtown Disney a day, then take a day or two on Toho/Kissimmee.

Good Luck!
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/03/18 12:21 PM

Originally Posted By: dmr183
Talked to a marine dealer on the phone yesterday and he said Toho and Kissimmee are out of control right now. 35 to 40 lb bags to win tournaments with a bunch of 8 to 10 lbers being caught.

I was going to say Florida, it is beautiful down there and a grass fisherman's dream!
Posted By: Troyz

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/03/18 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: BCB
beartrap is going to be the best answer on a Mexico trip. He will have experienced all three of our suggested reservoirs in recent time frames. For us Picachos fits that description and great trips now. We would like to hear how Comedero goes.

As for a trip in the USA there are plenty of options. MilleLacs and Sturgeon Bay for smallmouth, good suggestions on Kissimmee, don’t overlook Okeechobee, think about watching the Elites on Oahe as it’s going to really be something most likely. There are several northwestern reservoirs that will amaze folks. Idaho and Montana or Wyoming can really be that good.

If your taking your spouse then Sturgeon Bay is enjoyable. Another one for fun is the Butler Chain in Orlando or Lake Conway downtown Orlando. Conway can be 60-80 Fish a day and it’s easy. Take in Disney or just hang at Downtown Disney a day, then take a day or two on Toho/Kissimmee.

Good Luck!

Butler chain is a little hidden jewel. Not known for monsters but produces good quality fish and numbers can be good. Pretty lakes to fish but do it early before all the pleasure boats and jet skis take over. Toho and Kissimmee are always good. Fished Kissimmee a couple of weeks ago and got some decent fish. Lake level is down a little right now and FWC has been spraying some areas so that is affecting the fishing a little but still getting good stringers. One tournament we saw weigh in took 28+ pounds to win.
Posted By: basscatmo

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/03/18 12:57 PM

I did a three day last year in N. Door County on Washington Island about 40 miles north of Sturgeon Bay. Smallmouth fishing was fantastic......took one day to fish for Musky in the Bay of Green Bay and landed a 47 incher. Hard to beat that.
Posted By: MIKE SANDERS

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/03/18 02:17 PM

Lake Picachos Mexico for the most numbers and possible a big fish.Easy trip only about 45 minutes from airport to Ron Speeds lodge by van.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/03/18 02:29 PM

Lake Comedero,Mexico Ron Speed Adventures.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/03/18 02:49 PM

Lake Baccarac. No doubt the best big fish lake in the country right now. Go Check out Lake Baccarac Lodge facebook page and see all the giants caught. Ive been to El Salto 3 times in the past 4 years. A very fun trip but I wanted numbers of quality fish and that is what Baccarac has to offer.
Posted By: montgomery

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/03/18 02:58 PM

My choice is Anglers in El Salto we have been making trips down there since 2002 and just went over Christmas last year had 4 fish over 8 on the scales and my wife had one that went 7.5. lots of 4-5 lb fish so it was a good trip.
Posted By: bigmikey

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/04/18 02:43 PM

Go fish Lake Erie or St. Clair. No Mexico worries. Hundreds of smallmouth and giant ones
Posted By: scumfrogg

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/04/18 06:49 PM

save money call Lee Livesay and go to Fork. He has a 45-50lb bag today. shocked
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/05/18 01:13 AM

Originally Posted By: scumfrogg
save money call Lee Livesay and go to Fork. He has a 45-50lb bag today. shocked

popcorn
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/05/18 01:20 AM

Wouldn’t give my $$$ to any Mexicans, there are lots of big bass here in the Ol USA!!!
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/05/18 02:24 AM

Lake Fork has been ok the last 30 years
Posted By: Larry Mosby

Re: Best Bass Fishing vacation? US or Mexico and where? - 04/06/18 08:31 AM

Sam Rayburn has been requiring over 30 lbs to win tourneys with a lot of the bigger tourneys being won with bags in the high thirties. Numerous DDs have been being caught and it produced a real Sharelunker recently. Several other lakes around the east Texas area that produce a lot of DDs as well.

Fork has produced the largest real Sharelunker this year and holds 50 places of the top hundred bass ever caught in Texas, that's an impressive record.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum