Texas Fishing Forum

Going to fork to get away from the crowd..

Posted By: Chris_K

Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:03 PM

When has that ever been said before?? roflmao
Seriously, Athens is being beat to death right now.. so I think I’ll hit fork tomorrow. If a man wanted to bed fish and was unfamiliar with the lake, where should I launch and where are the sight fishing spots? Not trying to win a tournament, just want to hammer me some fish. Pm me if possible, that way your suggestions should be less crowded. Thanks in Advance.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:17 PM

Chris, how many boats a day you think Athens is getting?
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:18 PM

You will most likely be disappointed if you are trying to escape crowds on Fork in March on a Friday.

There aren't sight fishing "spots" either. Try up north in Little Caney though.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:22 PM

Hard to see em in that dirty water on Fork right now... not saying its not possible, but the lake is off color all the way to the dam. My favorite sight fishing creek had about 3" of visibility at best last weekend.

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
I’ve been there yesterday and today and the parking lot and grass were full and people were parking in the overflow parking lot. Have to get in line to beat a bank.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:45 PM

During the week?!?!?!? WOW!! What a beating. No wonder that lake is a shell of itself 2 years ago. Sad

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:46 PM

Originally Posted By: criglizard
You will most likely be disappointed if you are trying to escape crowds on Fork in March on a Friday.

There aren't sight fishing "spots" either. Try up north in Little Caney though.

I can’t imagine what Athens will be like this weekend. I jumped the barrier deal today just trying to find some fresh water. But the visibility sucked under the bridge
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Hard to see em in that dirty water on Fork right now... not saying its not possible, but the lake is off color all the way to the dam. My favorite sight fishing creek had about 3" of visibility at best last weekend.

10-4 on this and been that way for awhile. If you're wanting to sight fish go to PK.

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

10-4 on this and been that way for awhile. If you're wanting to sight fish go to PK.

If PK is possum kingdom, that appears to be about 4 hours from Athens. Any closer suggestions?

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris_K

If PK is possum kingdom, that appears to be about 4 hours from Athens. Any closer suggestions?

Clear water is hard to come by after all the rains we've had. I was at PK last Thursday and we caught'em pretty good in 2-3 fow. Couldn't actually see'em with 15-25 mph winds but they were there. Winnsboro might be clear enough on the south end but I wouldn't guarantee it. Hawkins is usually fairly clear but if you go there watch out for stumps with rebar sticking out of them. I'm sure fish will be on beds at Fork but I'd bet my new putter you won't be sight fishing. One thing about PK, there are no crowds during the week and that makes it worth the drive.
Posted By: 2014NITROZ-7

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 11:36 PM

Last saturday I drove out there and counted 175 trailers.
Posted By: TajChauvin

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 11:41 PM

What type of putter is it?

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/22/18 11:57 PM

Clear water is hard to come by after all the rains we've had. I was at PK last Thursday and we caught'em pretty good in 2-3 fow. Couldn't actually see'em with 15-25 mph winds but they were there. Winnsboro might be clear enough on the south end but I wouldn't guarantee it. Hawkins is usually fairly clear but if you go there watch out for stumps with rebar sticking out of them. I'm sure fish will be on beds at Fork but I'd bet my new putter you won't be sight fishing. One thing about PK, there are no crowds during the week and that makes it worth the drive.

I really appreciate the help. Thank you.. most people won’t take the time to provide feedback like this on here anymore.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 12:04 AM

Hawkins is usually very clear
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 12:08 AM

You got a new putter,..??? cool. cheers
Posted By: DJB

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 12:46 AM

I guess if there was a place to get away from the crowds you wouldn't find it on the TFF. I went to a local lake today that is usually empty this time of year.It was packed .I can always tell when Fork is tough, because all of the out of state trailers

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: TajChauvin
What type of putter is it?

TaylorMade Spider Platinum Tour.

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
You got a new putter,..??? cool. cheers

Yep, boat's in the shop so I can't fish. New putter helps me get over it. roflmao
Posted By: 361V

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 01:16 AM

But Lake Hawkins sux.....but is very clear. laugh

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V
But Lake Hawkins sux.....but is very clear. laugh

Yep, I'd rather drive 3 hours to PK. Something about 2-3 trailers in the parking lot as opposed to 2-300 like at fork is very appealing to me. Been to Hawkins twice, my first and last time. thumb
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 01:57 AM

I’ve been there yesterday and today and the parking lot and grass were full and people were parking in the overflow parking lot. Have to get in line to beat a bank.

Frank is right... I live on the lake and haven’t seen the ramps as crowded as they have been last 2 weeks. I haven’t checked all the ramps everyday but at least 3 of the main ones have been packed everyday pretty much.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 05:55 AM

Holbrook
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 11:39 AM

The north side of the lake will be spawning more than south. Throw a senko, one with small weight and one weightless. Don't attempt to sight fish since it's dirty. Visualize the beds in a little deeper water and focus on 4ft. Leave the bait for 15-20 seconds at a time. Fish as slow as you ever have and post back here when you catch that giant.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 12:00 PM

go to sandlin
Posted By: BlueSkeeter13

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 12:54 PM

I fished for a couple of hours Wednesday evening at Whitney and I couldn't believe how good the visibility was. I've never seen Whitney as clear as it is right now.
Posted By: Txfiremn

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 01:14 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueSkeeter13
I fished for a couple of hours Wednesday evening at Whitney and I couldn't believe how good the visibility was. I've never seen Whitney as clear as it is right now.

I live 15 minutes from Whitney but usually I'm on Waco. I have been wondering about Whitney though. How was it?
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 01:23 PM

You could see fish on beds last week on Fork. Haven't had rain since so I would imagine you could see even better now. Pick a lake right now anywhere around Texas and it should be very good.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 02:08 PM

I caught them on beds all day last Friday before Megabass. And a few on Thursday. PM me and Ill let you know where to look.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger1
You could see fish on beds last week on Fork. Haven't had rain since so I would imagine you could see even better now. Pick a lake right now anywhere around Texas and it should be very good.

That last sentence does not apply to Canyon Lake. roflmao

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 03:29 PM

Half the boats you see out there will be in Birch slinging a trap. Just get away from the community spots and you will be fine.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 03:43 PM

Spawn,....water level.....and Big Bass being caught is going to make for a busy
spring/summer for Lady Fork. Great for the local businesses...not so much for
weekend warriors. Be safe and enjoy. woot
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Half the boats you see out there will be in Birch slinging a trap. Just get away from the community spots and you will be fine.

roflmao woot roflmao woot roflmao

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 03:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 03:58 PM

There are no fish in Williams, and watch out for the sink hole in the very back, it will swallow your whole boat!! bolt
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/23/18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD
There are no fish in Williams, and watch out for the sink hole in the very back, it will swallow your whole boat!! bolt

fish the "pipe" at tawakoni
Posted By: JC Skeeter

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/24/18 04:27 PM

Then don’t beat the bank! I never understood boats in line on the same damn bank, that’s dumb. You don’t think there are any fish at all away from the bank? Why do some people even own graphs, or a boat, when you can just sit on the bank and fish.

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/24/18 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By: that1time

Then don’t beat the bank! I never understood boats in line on the same damn bank, that’s dumb. You don’t think there are any fish at all away from the bank? Why do some people even own graphs, or a boat, when you can just sit on the bank and fish.

I catch a ton of fish on Fork year round on the bank...that is how I love to fish. I love me some shallow water fishing. Lots of days I never even turn the graph on my bow on and the console graph get used for navigation only. Once the spawn is over I have very little company up shallow.

Re: Going to fork to get away from the crowd.. - 03/24/18 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By: that1time

The spawn happens maybe three months out of a year. I give myself s pass during these months
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum