Texas Fishing Forum

Shimano’s Budget offerings

Posted By: Ryan Somerville

Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/21/18 03:36 PM

I’m a Shimano guy and have had multiple reel manufacturers but keep going back to Shimanos offerings. But i always have noticed that there budget reels are [censored]. In my hands they feel like very cheap even there new one the Casticas i think it what it is called. I mean lews with there speed spool at 99 bucks is buy far the best on the market from what i found. Just seems from the Curado down the quality just isn’t there for Shimano. But is everyone thoughts on this?
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/21/18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan Somerville
I’m a Shimano guy and have had multiple reel manufacturers but keep going back to Shimanos offerings. But i always have noticed that there budget reels are [censored]. In my hands they feel like very cheap even there new one the Casticas i think it what it is called. I mean lews with there speed spool at 99 bucks is buy far the best on the market from what i found. Just seems from the Curado down the quality just isn’t there for Shimano. But is everyone thoughts on this?

I use nothing but Curados and love them.
Posted By: 96speed

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/21/18 04:58 PM

Low end budget serve a purpose, but when you compare them with the higher end stuff the differences stand out. Comparing an E5 Curado to the similar style Citica in your hands shows the differences real fast. Same with Revos and Lews, IMO. I received a $100 Lews reel for Christmas once. I'm not a Lews guy, but they do make decent reels. This thing just felt kinda mickey mouse. I'm not a huge gear snob--nothing wrong with the budget friendly reels, but the ones I have tried and felt in my hands all seemed pretty similar in construction and quality.

Not to be a troll here, but Power Tackle rods aren't exactly budget friendly. Why skimp on the reels with higher end rods?
Posted By: TexasTechBassAngler

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/21/18 05:00 PM

I've had nothing but success with my Curados and Citicas and I fish em hard. And to be honest I have an $80 Shimano Caius that I can't complain about yet at all.
Posted By: Ryan Somerville

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/21/18 05:14 PM

Originally Posted By: 96speed
Low end budget serve a purpose, but when you compare them with the higher end stuff the differences stand out. Comparing an E5 Curado to the similar style Citica in your hands shows the differences real fast. Same with Revos and Lews, IMO. I received a $100 Lews reel for Christmas once. I'm not a Lews guy, but they do make decent reels. This thing just felt kinda mickey mouse. I'm not a huge gear snob--nothing wrong with the budget friendly reels, but the ones I have tried and felt in my hands all seemed pretty similar in construction and quality.

Not to be a troll here, but Power Tackle rods aren't exactly budget friendly. Why skimp on the reels with higher end rods?

Your not trolling by any means. I was just working a show locally here for a Store who sponsors me and he sells Shimano, Lews, Okuma and getting into Daiwa now. I don't skip on my reels buy any means but the price of the US Dollar the Canadian Dollar means quite a bit the fisherman up here. Just was talking and showing a customer budget reels i showed him the lews and shimano lower end offerings and the customer said that the Speed spool LS i think is the 99 dollar one blew all the others out of the park. And I had to agree with him 100% on it.
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 12:12 AM

Casitas is probably the best budget reel under $100. But yes there are noticeable differences if you compare to a Curado
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 12:30 AM

I’m very happy with the new Curado K. I’ve got 3 of them plus some Lews Tournament Pros and I prefer the Curado. I used to have about 8 Curado E 7s, and I think the K is every bit as good!
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 12:39 AM

I have a Citica that I’ve fished hard since 2008. I also own virtually every high end Shimano made (Met MGL,Aldebaran) and I don’t mind throwing the citica one bit, and use it often.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 12:57 AM

curado 200e7 will always be their best reel ever made....
Posted By: dandeeks

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 01:03 AM

Completely agree. Right down to the 99$ speed spool, Lews reels are pretty awesome.
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 01:05 AM

I believe these days, a $100 - $150 gets you a lot of reel for the money and I feel that I don't need to spend anymore than that. I'll spend more for a rod though.
Posted By: Dmfo

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 01:12 AM

My New Curado K in my opinion is of a higher quality and cost less than the two Lews reels I currently use.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 02:33 PM

Last year, I went in to buy a new Citica, and the Curado was on sale for the same price, I think it was around $120. I haven't been impressed with that Curado at all. I like my Citica that's 4 years old better than that new Curado.

I realize that I may have gotten a bad apple in the new Curado, but it's the last one I'll buy. I have 4 of the old green Curados that I love and keep in good shape, and they're still great... prolly about 17 years old now.
Posted By: Jumpin J

Re: Shimano’s Budget offerings - 03/22/18 03:06 PM

Every reel company makes low-end products, once you get below the cost of aluminum frames, the quality doesn't hold up, in the heat. Most any reel with aluminum frame will be $100.+ and up.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum