Texas Fishing Forum

White Rock Lake Tips

Posted By: Dan90210 ☮

White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 12:59 PM

Any suggestions on catching the biggest fish in the Lake?

I am going to get the lake C&R record and looking for info to get me in the right direction.

What would you do if that was your goal? Areas to fish? Baits? Strategies?

If your info helps me become King of the Rock I will give you full credit when I do my acceptance speech.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 01:32 PM

1/16thoz unpainted jig head with a 2 inch white single tail curly grub one foot under a bobber. 8lb test line.
Mouth of Dixon Branch

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 02:13 PM

Thats one approach.

I was thinking live crawfish on some off shore structure. I feel you have to get out from where the bank fisherman can cast to get some un-pressured, offshore fish. Perhaps big swimbait on the same spot. Big Worm on a C-rig could be an option. Jig is always a big fish bait but I suck at jig fishing and lack confidence in it...so I like to fish what I feel confident in.

Someone told me the biggest fish are up the main creek. Not sure I buy that.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 02:58 PM

flip the grass and reeds
Posted By: BThomas

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 04:13 PM

Fish the deepest part of the lake by the spillway.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 04:22 PM

Find the crappie and bass fish in the same area. You will likely get skunked most days. BASS had a tournament there back in the 90's and I think only one angler caught more than 1 fish. It's probably the worst bass lake in all of Texas, if not the southwest. You can catch more and bigger fish in a nearby golf pond probably.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 04:32 PM

Pitch to every styrofoam cup you see in the main creek.

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 06:04 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
Find the crappie and bass fish in the same area. You will likely get skunked most days. BASS had a tournament there back in the 90's and I think only one angler caught more than 1 fish. It's probably the worst bass lake in all of Texas, if not the southwest. You can catch more and bigger fish in a nearby golf pond probably.

Its a tough lake no doubt. BUT thats why I am getting the record. It means more because it is a fickle lover.

Deep water check! Bass with crappie check!

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 06:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
Pitch to every styrofoam cup you see in the main creek.

Too many of them to hit them all in a day.
Posted By: UTMallard

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 06:39 PM

The dam has always been good to me. Med/deep crankbait and shakey head.
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 03/20/18 11:03 PM

Been fishing this lake for 20+ years. It can be tough for those people who are unfamiliar with this lake. My tip is let the wind be your friend! Fish the laydowns, but pitch to any weedbed, especially the ones that aren’t in clusters. Cattails, not yet! Give it a week. Fish evenings.

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 04/02/18 12:56 PM

Originally Posted By: "Old School"
Been fishing this lake for 20+ years. It can be tough for those people who are unfamiliar with this lake. My tip is let the wind be your friend! Fish the laydowns, but pitch to any weedbed, especially the ones that aren’t in clusters. Cattails, not yet! Give it a week. Fish evenings.

These are good tips. I am going back Saturday to resume my quest to be the King of the Rock.

Any recent reports or tips would be great! I will let you know how we do. There will be 4 of us going. We will be yakking. Might launch on the north end this time and get back into the creek some. Thoughts?
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: White Rock Lake Tips - 04/02/18 02:52 PM

Up in creek area where it forks
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum