Texas Fishing Forum

Grass carp impact on spawn

Posted By: Simmonsdlwa

Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/19/18 11:19 PM

Does the carp spawn disrupt or delay the bass spawn? Talking about all the shallow water splashing and rooting around
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/19/18 11:27 PM

I doubt it does any good. I also bet parks and wildlife says it doesn't hurt anything.
Posted By: pocfishin

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 12:22 AM

I can't speak to the impacts of grass carp on bass spawn. But I see a butt-load of common carp thrashing about in the shallow water of Lake Bastrop. And Bastrop has a very healthy number of bass.
Posted By: McLovin’

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 01:00 AM

Negative.

Those are common carp up thrashing around
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 01:19 AM

I doubt it's a big impact. It's not like carp just started spawning alongside bass last year.

I do think there may be some impact depending on water levels. On Rayburn for example, if the water level is down it creates a more defined bank which puts carp on top of bass. When the water is up, there are more flat shallow areas for the carp to get into. The majority of bass still spawn out a little deeper. Just my take on it
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
I doubt it's a big impact. It's not like carp just started spawning alongside bass last year.

I do think there may be some impact depending on water levels. On Rayburn for example, if the water level is down it creates a more defined bank which puts carp on top of bass. When the water is up, there are more flat shallow areas for the carp to get into. The majority of bass still spawn out a little deeper. Just my take on it

I've noticed the same thing about the water levels
Posted By: Cheesehead Wes

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 02:52 AM

I can tell you from experience that the carp have a huge impact on the spawn. Last year I witnessed multiple carp swim up and basically push a dd bass off her bed to eat the eggs. i’m not talking about little carp. Seems like the carp are like the bass at my lake. either tiny or gigantic!
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 04:13 AM

I know those Big Bass hate Baby Carp. I have caught some really nice fish on my baby carp Chatter bait and Spinner Bait. The Bass will just take the rod out of you hand on the wind blown banks. Those carp are doing everything they can to get to those eggs.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 02:23 PM

A few weeks ago, I was bed hunting at Amistad and on some shallow flats, I didn't see any beds, just big carp EVERYWHERE.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 05:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
I know those Big Bass hate Baby Carp. I have caught some really nice fish on my baby carp Chatter bait and Spinner Bait. The Bass will just take the rod out of you hand on the wind blown banks. Those carp are doing everything they can to get to those eggs.

Bass swimbaits are HIGHLY underrated.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Grass carp impact on spawn - 03/20/18 06:58 PM

Grass carp (Triploid) are generally sterile and do not reproduce. Additionally, common carp normally do their big spawn in May after most of the largemouth are done. What is going crazy on some lakes right now are the Buffalo. They were destroying shallow water on Monti the last 2 weekends. You would see these 50+ # fish going nuts in 1-2' of water. It made me leave the area it was so bad. But to answer the question, I don't think any of these species have any measurable effect on bass spawns. The single biggest factor in bass spawn success is water level and available cover for the fry to hide in.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum