Texas Fishing Forum

Classic Site Choices?

Posted By: Ken A.

Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 01:17 PM

I am sure the city of Greensboro NC pays handsomely to have BASS bring the Classic to their city. I know the BASS officials have to consider lots of things when choosing a location to have the Classic. Things like an indoor venue large enough to handle 100K people, hotels, proximity to the lake, etc are all factored in.

Personally, and this is just me, I like to watch fishing shows where a 4 pounder is not a giant fish but I will admit that seeing an event where 5 pounds separates First Place from 12th adds a lot of drama to the weigh in.

What say you?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 01:29 PM

Hmmmm.....

You're right about the need for off lake venues and such.

Personally, though, I'd like to see them fish a REALLY tough lake under constant weather changes. Make em struggle. Make them adapt.

This is a great time of year to have those conditions. I think they need to have the classic during prespawn times. During early spring, when weather patterns are unstable. I like to see the guys dig deep into their "memory banks" to figure out the bite. After all....it's the guys that can figure it out fastest that usually prevail.

Where it happens isn't as important to me...WHEN is where it's at! Lol
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 01:31 PM

The Classic expo and weigh in were in Greenville, SC. There is a reason they've had it there 3 times now. People love fishing in the Carolinas, (not that Texans don't). Also the locations attracts people to visit from TN, AL, GA, NC and SC. I drove 3 hours to get there and I am in NC. I heard Pros and guys talking about all the area lakes while I was at the expo, there is just so much fishing in the area. I was amazed at how many people I saw when I visited the expo Saturday.

I do like seeing them trying to weed through the 2-3 pounders and get those kicker fish to make their day. They have an option to chase Spots or go Largemouth on Hartwell which adds a different dimension to the tournament.

Personally, I would like to see the Classic at lake Lanier after seeing the FLW tourney take place recently.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 01:43 PM

Well, if Cowboys Stadium had been built in Zapata instead of Arlington...
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 01:45 PM

I'd like to see them move the dates of the classic around. Watching these guys grind for three days to scratch out 10-15lb bags is just not overly exciting to me. I get it's tough, and seasoned tournament anglers may actually prefer it... That said, if anyone new to the sport flipped on live this weekend and watch for two hours, I doubt they got sucked in watching guys flip docks and catching 2 lb fish. Just my opinion.

It was great to see a young guy get it two years in a row though. I'm sure that'll inspire a lot of the youngsters.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 01:50 PM

The best fishing lakes for size, numbers, active/aggressive fish tend to be quite a distance from major metropolitan areas; so they have to compromise.

I'd like to see the classic go international, maybe Mexico.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I'd like to see them move the dates of the classic around. Watching these guys grind for three days to scratch out 10-15lb bags is just not overly exciting to me. I get it's tough, and seasoned tournament anglers may actually prefer it... That said, if anyone new to the sport flipped on live this weekend and watch for two hours, I doubt they got sucked in watching guys flip docks and catching 2 lb fish. Just my opinion.

It was great to see a young guy get it two years in a row though. I'm sure that'll inspire a lot of the youngsters.

Good point on the "excitement" part. Or, lack thereof. I guess it would be boring for the average person to watch. So is chess and Snooker. The average person wants to see constant 5 pounders getting snatched out of the Big "O"'s grass mats, while fishing amongst the gators. I like that too. But, as an avid angler for over 40 years, I appreciate the hunt as much, or more, than the catching.
Posted By: furim2

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Things like an indoor venue large enough to handle 100K people, hotels, proximity to the lake, etc are all factored in.

What say you?

100K people? Bon Secours Wellness Arena in downtown Greenville is a 15000 seat sports arena. Minute Maid in Houston has a capacity of less than 42k.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 02:49 PM

I'm guessing Bama or Florida for next one.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 02:54 PM

I liked this event because it was tight, What Lee did for his 2 wins is great for the event. I do wish Bass Trak was not available on the last day. They all knew who won when they were weighing in.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 02:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

I'm betting Bama too. I'd also like to see them hold the Classic at an East Tennessee lake. Lake Cumberland, Douglas Lake, Percy Priest, Dale Hollow, Cherokee Lake, Center Hill, Watts Bar, Nickajack, even Chickamauga. You have numerous lake to choose from and I feel like Knoxville is close enough for these lakes, except maybe Nickajack and Chick.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 02:58 PM

Seems like we have this conversation every year...

BTW, don't they generally announce the next years by now? Did I miss it?

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:04 PM

[quote=kellisag]Seems like we have this conversation every year...

BTW, don't they generally announce the next years by now? Did I miss it? [/quote
We do since they pick a new location yearly or every other year.

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: furim2
Originally Posted By: Ken A.
Things like an indoor venue large enough to handle 100K people, hotels, proximity to the lake, etc are all factored in.

What say you?

100K people? Bon Secours Wellness Arena in downtown Greenville is a 15000 seat sports arena. Minute Maid in Houston has a capacity of less than 42k.

Understood but the venue for the Show for all the exhibitors needs to be able to accommodate a bunch of folks.
Posted By: Resh

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:24 PM

I vote Lavon. Meets all criteria, except good bass fishing.

Just need something to light a fire under some COE butt to get the ramps functional
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:24 PM

I would like to see it in Vegas on Lake Mead. That's a destination that I would probably fly to and the wife would tag along. I wouldn't mind seeing a California Classic either. I'm thinking the next one will be in Alabama

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Monty Wright
I would like to see it in Vegas on Lake Mead. That's a destination that I would probably fly to and the wife would tag along. I wouldn't mind seeing a California Classic either. I'm thinking the next one will be in Alabama

Not a fan of Vegas but I have been to a BASS event on Mead. It is a dink-fest there buddy. It would make for close weights but would be a real yawner to watch. sleep

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Reshelman

Just need something to light a fire under some COE butt to get the ramps functional

I doubt Texas gets another Classic anytime soon. We talk loud then fail to support these big events.
Posted By: ditchpickel21

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:39 PM

i want to see a California classic
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:50 PM

Texas wasn't the problem, having it in the city of Houston was the problem. You're average bass fisherman hasn't no interest in going into a MAJOR city like Houston and dealing with the craziness and traffic. I'm in Shreveport/Bossier and the location/traffic is what kept me away from the Houston Classic.

If it was ever in the right location in Texas, it would blow the attendance records away.

I doubt Texas gets another Classic anytime soon. We talk loud then fail to support these big events.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:56 PM

At some point there is going to be a classic in Springfield Mo.
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: slim 285

Or at least Branson, MO.

I would love to attend the classic in either of these two locations.
Posted By: mikereils5er

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 04:05 PM

I would love to see the classic on Clear Lake or the California Delta. But i feel like they lose so much money when they have them out there, good as fishing as anywhere in the country but so much money to actually have them there.

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 04:06 PM

Branson would be cool
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 04:39 PM

Back on the Red River would be nice, it's always a challenge with the water the way it is this time of year.
Posted By: C130

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94

I'm betting Bama too. I'd also like to see them hold the Classic at an East Tennessee lake. Lake Cumberland, Douglas Lake, Percy Priest, Dale Hollow, Cherokee Lake, Center Hill, Watts Bar, Nickajack, even Chickamauga. You have numerous lake to choose from and I feel like Knoxville is close enough for these lakes, except maybe Nickajack and Chick.

I’d like to see it on one of these lakes also. Dale Hollow would be cool. I grew up fishing Center Hill, still one of my favorite lakes and try to go up and fish it every summer. Closer to Knoxville might be better attendance wise though.
Posted By: E-bright

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
Originally Posted By: slim 285

Or at least Branson, MO.

I would love to attend the classic in either of these two locations.

Or even Lake of the Ozarks
Posted By: 361V

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 04:56 PM

Don't forget KVD setting a new lake record on Lewisville with a 11-13 in a BASS tournament back in 2013!
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Don't forget KVD setting a new lake record on Lewisville with a 11-13 in a BASS tournament back in 2013!

I believe that was '05 in an Elite 50.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 05:27 PM

A classis on the Chic would be pretty awesome. A saw a 42lb bag recently. If Toledo was closer to Shreveport, that's an option. They've driven that far before. Would be a great classic with multiple patterns happening at once.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 05:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell
Texas wasn't the problem, having it in the city of Houston was the problem. You're average bass fisherman hasn't no interest in going into a MAJOR city like Houston and dealing with the craziness and traffic. I'm in Shreveport/Bossier and the location/traffic is what kept me away from the Houston Classic.

If it was ever in the right location in Texas, it would blow the attendance records away.

They need a large city to pay for it. They won't come back to DFW for an elite level event because fans don't support it. I don't know the numbers but I'd bet TTBC Ray Roberts and Bassfest Texoma are among the worst for attendance numbers.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 06:11 PM

Another vote for Clearlake or the CA Delta.

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: mikereils5er
I would love to see the classic on Clear Lake or the California Delta. But i feel like they lose so much money when they have them out there, good as fishing as anywhere in the country but so much money to actually have them there.

No where close by to hold the weigh in, not many lakeside accommodations etc. Plus getting in and out of there through the mountains is no joke.
Posted By: Stogie

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 06:42 PM

I dont know if it was the music or the low lighting. But it did not seems like a very excited crowd during weigh-in and with the low lighting could not tell how full the venue was.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 06:44 PM

Lavon would be a god lake to host the classic
Posted By: rj74955

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 07:02 PM

California is a logistical nightmare for everyone but the very few fishermen that live there and fish B.A,S.S.
It's just not monetarily feasible to send the fishermen, support groups and service yard people all the way out there for 1 tournament. It's not just 52 anglers that make up a classic, it's hundreds if not thousands. The elites are a traveling circus, that's why they start out in Florida and work their way north every year, the weather being one reason and the travel distance being another. A lot of these guys and the support people are literally away from home for months at a time, living in motels. That's why the California guys always end up moving to Alabama , Georgia, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or other more centrally located states. It gives them a few more days of sleeping in their own bed per year. Plus the fact that California pretty much has every tree/fish hugger in the country.
Posted By: 1bassdaddy

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: rj74955
California is a logistical nightmare for everyone but the very few fishermen that live there and fish B.A,S.S.
It's just not monetarily feasible to send the fishermen, support groups and service yard people all the way out there for 1 tournament. It's not just 52 anglers that make up a classic, it's hundreds if not thousands. The elites are a traveling circus, that's why they start out in Florida and work their way north every year, the weather being one reason and the travel distance being another. A lot of these guys and the support people are literally away from home for months at a time, living in motels. That's why the California guys always end up moving to Alabama , Georgia, Oklahoma, Arkansas, or other more centrally located states. It gives them a few more days of sleeping in their own bed per year. Plus the fact that California pretty much has every tree/fish hugger in the country.

Can't disagree with anything in this post...I was just a wishing and hoping!
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 07:22 PM

Guntersville and Lee 3-peats?? confused
Posted By: rbspots

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 07:30 PM

I live in NC and this was my 22nd Classic. It was by far the busiest I have ever been to. Got to talk to Hank Parker on Saturday and he said the same. 2020 will be the 50th anniversary so I would be in shock if wasn't in Alabama that year. Had a good conversation with Gary Dobyns about a Texas Classic. Have it on Fork with the Expo and other activities in DFW area. Do the fishing on a MLF type of weigh and release. That way it would not break any slot rules. Instead of having fish to weigh just run video from that anglers Go Pro for that day as they cross the stage. But it has never been about the size of fish that determines location. To me I would like to see Nashville give it a shot one time
Posted By: Will.i.am

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 08:57 PM

Traffic wasnt bad at all we drove in from San Antonio just think Houston is more of a saltwater city than bass fishing.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 09:17 PM

I'm betting the 50th may be at Mead. Buy your tickets now.

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD

This!!
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 10:37 PM

I understand that, but doesn't have to be Houston big. Greenville, SC only has a population of 67,000.

Originally Posted By: adam_p

They need a large city to pay for it. They won't come back to DFW for an elite level event because fans don't support it. I don't know the numbers but I'd bet TTBC Ray Roberts and Bassfest Texoma are among the worst for attendance numbers.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 11:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Stogie
I dont know if it was the music or the low lighting. But it did not seems like a very excited crowd during weigh-in and with the low lighting could not tell how full the venue was.

That's what the smoke was for was to dim the lighting so the cameras couldn't pick up on the attendance. Looked like it was pretty much a lower level seating arrangement for the most part. Not sure if the second level was open or not. Looked like a better turn out than Conroe though. I thought the Conroe weigh in crowd was pathetic if not down right embarrassing. I think holding weigh in at the ballpark dwarfed the event and doubt they will do that again.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 11:07 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD

Make them fish out of 50 year old vintage Rangers too! clap
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/19/18 11:17 PM

I'm with Ken and the what seems to be the majority of the posters. I don't like watching anyone catch dinks. MLF seems to be the only exception to that because of the time clock, sudden death periods, etc. The other thing I don't like about these small fish venues for the world championship of bass fishing is that it lets luck play too big of a role in things. It's no secret it takes a lot of knowledge, talent, hard work and more to fish at that level but when your avg daily bag in the top 25 is about 10# per day, when someone catches a 4-6# fish, it's a VERY big deal and quite frankly to catch a fish that big in the same area you are catching all those 2 pound fish is more luck than anything else.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 01:31 AM

You missed out. Traffic on Friday you are going against the flow. Saturday and Sunday traffic not a issue. Just check the traffic on app. It's easy to get around.
Posted By: jiggmann

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 03:46 AM

Richland Chambers?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: adam_p

TTBC Ray Roberts was the horrible they way it was set up and how the weigh in was handled.

Whomever put the event on, should of all been fired.

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

TTBC Ray Roberts was the horrible they way it was set up and how the weigh in was handled.

Whomever put the event on, should of all been fired.

skinny jeans country acts
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 11:22 AM

its more than location close to all that's needed. bottom line is money. dallas wont pay, good luck cali.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 11:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue

But 15 lb bags are the norm in 99% of the tournaments fished. Why should the classic be any different?
I think that this this lake was the perfect lake. Lots of fish caught, many different methods used due to changing conditions. Also it is hard to have a bigger average over thee days. Those guys have to manage the fish they find for the first two and by the third the fish are fewer. They might be able to go Rayburn, TB, or some Florida lakes and whack giants but that would get old after a few years for me.

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 11:59 AM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

That's what the smoke was for was to dim the lighting so the cameras couldn't pick up on the attendance. Looked like it was pretty much a lower level seating arrangement for the most part. Not sure if the second level was open or not. Looked like a better turn out than Conroe though. I thought the Conroe weigh in crowd was pathetic if not down right embarrassing. I think holding weigh in at the ballpark dwarfed the event and doubt they will do that again.

The weigh in was the first 2 days I know for sure. I would imagine they had pretty good attendance on Sunday.

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 12:06 PM

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/most-attended-classic-ever
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 01:00 PM

They won’t come to dallas/ft worth not enough attendance when they have had opens,top100,(or what ever it was called),the memorial here a few years back.I wish they would though.
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 01:41 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

I was there for the Saturday weigh in and it was pretty busy. The entire lower section was full and the first 15-20 rows of the second level all the way around were full. We went to the expo Friday and tried to go again Saturday. The expo on Saturday was an absolute mad house. Every parking lot within a mile of the event was full and traffic was backed up on every block. Definitely a very full event.

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 01:50 PM

This is what I was referring to when I said the venue will need to be able to accommodate 100K people. I was a little off with my estimation but 58K people is a lot of folks for one day.

"The previous Classic on Lake Hartwell, in 2015, drew an attendance of 103,091, Lopez noted. Classics in Tulsa, Okla., in 2013 and 2016 drew 106,850 and 107,605, respectively.

This year, in addition to 1,400 participating in Fan Appreciation Day on Thursday, officials recorded attendance figures of 33,207 on Friday, 58,620 on Saturday and 50,096 on Sunday."
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 01:53 PM

https://www.bassmaster.com/news/most-attended-classic-ever
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 07:27 PM

I see them having the 50th back on Beaver Lake where it all started.
Posted By: Big Ned

Re: Classic Site Choices? - 03/20/18 08:44 PM

Would love to see a classic on Rayburn or Toledo Bend But the Expo and weigh in would be the deal breaker, unless Lufkin or near by areas could or would build a facility to encompass it all. Could you imagine the press coverage and the fish catches. This would be incredible, at this time of the year the way both lakes fish. Well so much for dreaming it will probably never happen.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum