Texas Fishing Forum

Boat Question

Posted By: ETXfisher91

Boat Question - 03/15/18 07:32 PM

Which rides better and fishes better... I know you guys have a lot of passed relationships with boats.
1997 Charger 195VF with a Merc 175
1995 ZX300 21' with a Merc 200
1999 Champion 187 Elite with a merc 175.

They are all 3 in different areas of Texas so I kinda need to narrow it down to 2 to go and look at... any info will help!
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 08:01 PM

That’s a trick question. A 21’ of just about any brand will out ride a 18-19’ of any brand. But a 21’ with a 200 is way under powered. I need to know prices before I pick one.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 08:35 PM

With all of them being 20 or so years old I would inspect those wood transoms closely and have compression test done on the motors. There's no warranty on 20 year old boats or motors. Also like barbarian said a 200 on a 21'er is under powered especially with a full tournament load.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 08:37 PM

Originally Posted By: barbarian
That’s a trick question. A 21’ of just about any brand will out ride a 18-19’ of any brand. But a 21’ with a 200 is way under powered. I need to know prices before I pick one.

^^^^ THIS

One of the roughest rides I ever had in my life was in a 20' Skeeter (could have just been the driver). I still say a 21' Skeeter would out ride the other 2 though. I bet top end the other 2 will out run that 200 though even though the other 2 aint built for speed to begin with.

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF
Originally Posted By: barbarian

^^^^ THIS

One of the roughest rides I ever had in my life was in a 20' Skeeter (could have just been the driver). I still say a 21' Skeeter would out ride the other 2 though. I bet top end the other 2 will out run that 200 though even though the other 2 aint built for speed to begin with.

Champion is 12,000
Skeeter is 7500
Charger is 7900

I don't fish big tournaments and I also don't fish big lakes except when I go to Rayburn, but I stay close to the areas I know so speed is not a real big issue. I mostly fish the week day tournaments and then some local club trails. If I ever did decide to go into big tournament trail I would be a co-angler so boat is out of question then... I'm kinda on a budget with our first kid due in June, so I am trying to get me something to get me by the next 5 years but also reliable if you know what I mean.
The main thing I want is something with a nice size platform and also won't get blown around in the wind.
Yes, I will definitely check out the transoms and compression test will be done.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 09:27 PM

Is that skeeter silver with red pins and a red keel guard?

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 09:39 PM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

No its not it is red with gray carpet... If you have leads to another boat shoot me a PM
Posted By: DBGSIG

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 10:01 PM

The Charger will probably out ride any 20' boat. It won't win many races but has a great ride.

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 10:30 PM

Well all I need is 55-60mph and I'm happy!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 10:42 PM

Champions are known for their smooth dry ride in rough water. I have a 17’6” and if I get an occasional mist from the ride it is really rough out there. There is a big following for them and their prices seem to be going up on nice ones rather than down. Isn’t as good of a fishing platform as the Skeeter. Because of the deep V which makes it a good rough water ride, it rocks a little side to side if you fish two people. Not a big deal if you primarily fish solo like me. I wouldn’t trade my Champion for anything other than another Champion.

Re: Boat Question - 03/15/18 11:34 PM

Yeah that's why champion was in my search because of their ride... But like you mentioned the fishing platform... But the one I'm looking at seems to be big enough for 2 people
Posted By: Ranger205

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 12:20 AM

I would seriously look at the Charger. It will handle rough water like the champ but fishes excellent. The Skeeter is too underpowered.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: DBGSIG
The Charger will probably out ride any 20' boat. It won't win many races but has a great ride.

100% on the Charger and you'll have a little extra for electronics. That's assuming all three are in the same condition.

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

100% on the Charger and you'll have a little extra for electronics. That's assuming all three are in the same condition.

The charger already has a HDS 9 at the console and a 7 at bow! So huge positive! And the charger is in great condition. The Skeeter is in the worse... The Skeeter is sold so that's outta the question. Gonna take the charger for a ride Monday.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: ETXfisher91

The charger already has a HDS 9 at the console and a 7 at bow! So huge positive! And the charger is in great condition. The Skeeter is in the worse... The Skeeter is sold so that's outta the question. Gonna take the charger for a ride Monday.

Shoot dawg, you done answered yo own question. Chargers are well built, handle great in rough water and I think are a great looking boat. You probably got a tandem axle trailer too. Gitter done.

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 02:21 AM

Shoot dawg, you done answered yo own question. Chargers are well built, handle great in rough water and I think are a great looking boat. You probably got a tandem axle trailer too. Gitter done.

Doesn't look like I'm getting it. He has 3 people going to look at it tomorrow and I can't get it till Monday.
Any leads to a quality boat will be greatly appreciated!!

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 02:54 AM

Not surprised. That was a great price for a 97 charger.
Posted By: barbarian

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 03:01 AM

With your extra info - CHARGER!!

I had a 195. Great boat and good fair price.

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 03:05 AM

Not sure where your located but here`s one in waco. Not mine.

http://www.shoppok.com/waco/a,29,114973,1999-Charger-495-VF.htm?utm_source=ClazAutos&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=global&trmsource=clazoutfeed
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 06:31 AM

Chargers just don’t get the love around here that much because you never see them. Not sure where the closest dealer is. Heard good things about them
Posted By: Ricky Taylor

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 11:05 AM

Between the charger and the champion. I would choose whichever one has a C-channel trailer. I’ve owned two chargers and had rust issues with both trailers. Wouldn’t ever own another tubular trailer.

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 11:41 AM

Not sure where your located but here`s one in waco. Not mine.

http://www.shoppok.com/waco/a,29,114973,1999-Charger-495-VF.htm?utm_source=ClazAutos&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=global&trmsource=clazoutfeed

Yeah I've seen that one a couple times! I am kinda looking for something already rigged out or something that is 9k so I can dump 1k into it... my budget is 10k.

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
Chargers just don’t get the love around here that much because you never see them. Not sure where the closest dealer is. Heard good things about them

Corsicana and Eufala. Use to be a dealer near Fork years ago. They are a small builder. Maybe 100-150 per year.
Posted By: FXfromTx

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 07:52 PM

Originally Posted By: tmd11111
With all of them being 20 or so years old I would inspect those wood transoms closely and have compression test done on the motors. There's no warranty on 20 year old boats or motors. Also like barbarian said a 200 on a 21'er is under powered especially with a full tournament load.

I don't know about it being that terribly underpowered. My 96 21' skeeter with a 2 stroke 200 ran almost as fast(within 2-3mph) as my current FX20 with a 250SHO. That said, neither one is a 75mph boat, but I'm fine with 65-70mph.
Posted By: kellisag

Re: Boat Question - 03/16/18 08:01 PM

Not sure where you are located but here is nice one in your price range

https://www.southeasttexas.com/classifie...&distance=0
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Boat Question - 03/18/18 01:34 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

No its not it is red with gray carpet... If you have leads to another boat shoot me a PM

I don't it just sounded like a boat I used to have
Posted By: heybaylor

Re: Boat Question - 03/18/18 01:52 PM

My widow neighbor has a 2000 Nitro savage 884.
150 efi merc, serviced by service marine ,three new batteries.
tandem trailer.
low hours.
7900 would buy it
pm, for more details
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum