Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Waco???

Posted By: Longhorns1

Lake Waco??? - 03/09/18 03:39 PM

So....someone give me an overview on Lake Waco. Any green fish in there? Is it a main lake fishery or better up river? I don't want your hotspots (unless you wanna share them)....but I've got an event coming up and I've never even seen the lake. Any help or guidance would be appreciated.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Lake Waco??? - 03/09/18 04:11 PM

I lived in Waco from 2005 to 2010 and at that time I would have ranked it as one of the top 5 in the state. It has declined some but still produces a good number of double digit fish. Most of the fish are caught shallow. I like the upper end (which the south end)and to me has better overall fishing this time of year. There are 2 tributaries that feed into this area of the lake- Middle Bosque and Hog Creek. Once you go pass the bridge you need to be careful as it is heavily stumped up through there. Lower end is pretty wide open until you get close to shore. There is a boat lane above the bridge, but you won't find it unless you see someone running. Fish any of the feeder creeks and bar pit areas with the standard spring baits. A spinner bait is hard to beat.

Lower end is much deeper but still has a lot of fishable water. Crank baits do well down there along the dam.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Lake Waco??? - 03/09/18 06:10 PM

The lake actually runs from south to north, so the upper end (on the Middle Bosque arm) is south. The other main arm is the North Bosque and it runs from west to east, so the upper end of it is west. Clarity varies, but it's never what I would classify as clear. More like lightly stained all the way to muddy. Lots of flipping water all over the lake. I seldom fish deeper that 10 - 12 feet. I prefer the lower (north) end and the North Bosque arm.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Lake Waco??? - 03/09/18 07:59 PM

A very good lake even though it gets hammered with Tournaments
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Lake Waco??? - 03/09/18 09:36 PM

I have only fished it twice. Both times this past summer, was a fun lake.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum