Texas Fishing Forum

Sam Rayburn

Posted By: OzarkIntracoastal

Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 06:28 AM

Me and my buddy from Iowa are coming down March 16 - 19. Been making the annual trip to Fork almost 10 years now, but in an effort to try something new and avoid crowds (Mega Bass) we are going to Rayburn for the first time. We are lodging around the 147 bridge but will probably trailer to both ends of lake.
• What are the best tackle shops around the lake?
• What are the best diners/restaurants around the lake, including breakfast?

I know these things about Fork, but am clueless about Rayburn.
As far as fishing goes, my plan of attack will be the same way I’ve always fished Fork, except probably more vegetation, fair to say?

Thanks for your help guys! Fun fishin and reports will follow!
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 07:45 AM

Where your staying there isn't much. Down by the dam you have Tackle Addict and I think 2 or 3 other smaller tackle stores. Restaurant wise you have The Stump also on the south end.

Fishing wise, your hitting it perfect. Frog, swimjig, topwater, flipping bushes. Anyway you want will catch fish.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 02:13 PM

Zavalla has some good places on the north end, 2 decent restaurants in Broaddus too.

There is a tackle shop in Zavalla and one between Zavalla and 147, Needmore I think.

Information on previous post is good for the south end.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 02:18 PM

Just beat the banks you'll catch plenty. There are 2 small shop in zavalla. 1 near where you are staying, needmore. Tackle addict has bigger selection down south. Stump has decent food.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Just beat the banks you'll catch plenty. There are 2 small shop in zavalla. 1 near where you are staying, needmore. Tackle addict has bigger selection down south. Stump has decent food.

Stump is always lit with food and also the gas station next door for gas.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 02:20 PM

A steak and a cold beer or 4 at the stump is always a good idea.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 02:44 PM

Frog legs and shrimp on Fridays and Saturdays at Bears in Broaddus for eats in that area. Lakeview Inn on west end of 147 bridge has a dang fine cheeseburger and good breakfast if you want to eat early, also the closest place for beer if you're staying in Broaddus area. There's a small tackle store and rod/reel repair place just west of 147 bridge past Lakeview about 2 miles or so.

Jackson Hill has some decent eats as well. Watch your stuff, Jackson Hill and Cassels Boykin are probably the safest ramps to launch in that area, get off on any of the small non maintained ramps and you're risking it. I got broke into in December, don't leave anything easily visible in your truck, like a Yeti Hopper that happened to be full of Shiner beer or a Carhartt jacket.
Posted By: fishinginthedark05

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 02:47 PM

Lakeview Motel & Store is right across from the turn off to the Cassels Boykin Ramp on 147. They have a good breakfast and decent short order grill all day (hamburgers, chicken strips, etc). It's the best thing in that area. If you want to drive a little (like 15 minutes) Dean's in Huntington has good food, too. We don't care for Carlene's or the Eagle's Nest in Zavalla at all. Bear's Country Diner is the best of the two in Broaddus now.

Bass Strike Tackle in Zavalla has a decent selection. Needmore Tackle on 147 has the basics to get you by. Lakeview Motel & Store also has a fairly decent selection of tackle. There is also Tri Lakes Tackle in Huntington that has a decent selection. You could go eat at Dean's in Huntington and swing by Tri Lakes. If you really want our best tackle store at Rayburn, like the other guys have said, Tackle Addict on the south end (about 30 minutes from the 147 midlake area) has the best selection you'll find in this area. They have pretty much everything you could want and their prices are very competitive!
Posted By: 94sktr

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/09/18 02:57 PM

Got everything stollen out of my truck at the big ramp by the dam.
Posted By: OzarkIntracoastal

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/11/18 03:13 AM

Thanks for the info everyone!
Posted By: Wes H

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/11/18 04:45 AM

Ive only been there once, but here are two tips that helped me:

Get the boat lanes chip off boatlanes.com if you have lowrance or humminbird

Watch the videos on youtube by Ken Smith. He has one on each section of the lake as well as some fishing reports.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Sam Rayburn - 03/11/18 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: OzarkAngler588
Me and my buddy from Iowa are coming down March 16 - 19. Been making the annual trip to Fork almost 10 years now, but in an effort to try something new and avoid crowds (Mega Bass) we are going to Rayburn for the first time. We are lodging around the 147 bridge but will probably trailer to both ends of lake.
• What are the best tackle shops around the lake?
• What are the best diners/restaurants around the lake, including breakfast?

I know these things about Fork, but am clueless about Rayburn.
As far as fishing goes, my plan of attack will be the same way I’ve always fished Fork, except probably more vegetation, fair to say?

Thanks for your help guys! Fun fishin and reports will follow!

If you want lunch on the water we will get a cheeseburger at Powell Park restaurant. Across the lake from the dam and up the Ayish Bayou arm about 1/4 mile on the west bank. I will beach next to the swimming area and walk up to the restaurant generally. Great burgers.

Launching at Cassell Boykins the chip is a worthwhile investment. I've never had one or used one but I've prolly been just lucky.

If you want to treat yourself and make the 25 minute drive to Jasper eat at the Cedar Tree seafood buffet on the weekends. All you can eat.

Broadus across the 147 Bridge used to have Catfish Junction (?), Been a couple of years since I've been there, not sure they're still open but they had weekend nights catfish buffet AYCE.

Tackle shops:

Tackle Addict 1 mile east of the dam. Needmore is just before that 1/4 mile closer to the dam. You won't be near there but Ann's 1 mile north of Jasper on Hwy 96 is my go to generally but only because I go way back with Ann. Tackle Addict actually the best stocked on the lake even though they were out of Mardi Gras Super Flukes last week. frown . Ann's is close . The gas station/convenience store in Zavalla at the 63 and 147 intersection has tackle especially plastics.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum