Texas Fishing Forum

Gators in the Lew?

Posted By: D Egge

Gators in the Lew? - 03/07/18 01:20 AM

I might be nuts, but I saw a 3' gator in the canal that goes into the pond by Highland Village today. Thoughts?
Posted By: Mulholland

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/07/18 01:28 AM

Wouldn't be the first time they've been spotted. Not common over here but still well within their habitable zone.
Posted By: hoodat92

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/07/18 02:00 AM

a lot more gators around then people realize. If you ever go frog gigging at night, you will see what I'm talking about. My guess is that most of the waterways in the South have at least a few. They are like coyotes, you know they're around, you just rarely see them. Of course, over here in the Bayou State, it's uncommon for me NOT to see them. If you've spent much time fishing the Red River back waters, I've seen as 5 or 6 at the same time sunning, and they hardly pay any attention to me fishing. Unless...I'm throwing a frog, then the smaller gators can't help but try to eat it.
Posted By: bowfin

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/07/18 02:11 AM

My wife and I saw 2 small gaters sunning in hv 20 years ago.
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/07/18 02:13 AM

There was a large gator killed out there a few years back.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/07/18 02:57 AM

From 2015

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/9-Foot-Alligator-Found-Near-Lake-Lewisville-307672481.html

Game Warden warning a year earlier, 2014

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/07/30/game-warden-issues-alligator-warning-at-north-texas-lake/

And video from Lake Worth. If they can be in Worth then any lake East of there is possible.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=i-MxWrTODto
Posted By: JoeFriday

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/07/18 05:01 AM

Anywhere in the Trinity River watershed is a possibility. http://fortworthtexas.gov/water/lake-worth/alligators/

There's also feral hogs running in the area too. We just don't see them too often.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/07/18 11:35 AM

some of yall are so naïve. Texan? there's gators in every manmade lake in Texas.
Posted By: bbexotics

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/08/18 09:50 PM

Remember when Tarzan fought with Gators in Lewisville......
Posted By: buda13

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/08/18 10:14 PM

They get treated great at Worth up in the nature preserve. Some BIG ones up there! I've also seen gators in Grapevine... they've been here longer than we have!
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/08/18 11:30 PM

Did you see the gators on gvine before or after the 40 oz?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 01:40 AM

It saw the tracks around the HV pond a few years back. When the pond was low, you could see where he made his way through people's back yards. Looked like pretty small tracks
Posted By: GROD

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 02:09 AM

They’re in Eagle Mountain.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 03:02 AM

Originally Posted By: GROD
They’re in Eagle Mountain.

They are in every lake around here.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 03:56 AM

This is spring time. All of the young males 4-5 ft in length will get run out of their birthing territory by the dominate bull. IF not he will eat them. Back home in Sulphur, La. this time of year we found them in swimming pools, small cattle ponds, small drain ditches coming up behind an elementary school. Often a Dominate Bull will get his butt kicked by a younger bull and he has to go looking. We use to all the little ones finger nippers but we called the ousted big bulls TROUBLE. They are looking to establish a new territory and are not in a good mood.

If any of you do any bank fishing with your children (and I Hope you do) just keep a close look out. Small ones want bother your kids, but watch anyway
Posted By: BanjoMinnow

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 06:54 AM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
some of yall are so naïve. Texan? there's gators in every manmade lake in Texas.

I highly doubt there are any gators in Alan Henry.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Chasin Hogs

I don't drink 40's.... lol. No alcohol involved. Up in the Denton creek arm of the lake, was about 3-4 ft long. I also recall someone catching a baby one a few years ago. Not many, but there are a few.
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 11:55 AM

Unlikely in Alan Henry but possible.
They can survive farther north then you think.
DFW lakes all have them, and any lake on the 35 corridor and east as them.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Chasin Hogs

roflmao

Buda13 getting his drink on back in the day.

Posted By: Bassthumb: Phill's Guide Svc

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 02:41 PM

while bank fishing in panther creek about three years ago i noticed in multiple areas along the bank where one was leaving and re entering the water. i had the photo in photo bucket and if i could ever figure out how to post it I will.
Posted By: spro

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 03:56 PM

There is a 10+ footer on Lewisville. Seen him a few times 15 yards from the boat.
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 06:44 PM

I know a lot of people who spend a bunch of time on RR and I've never heard a credible report of a gator. Monitor lizard, yes, gator no.

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/09/18 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: BanjoMinnow
Originally Posted By: senko9S

I highly doubt there are any gators in Alan Henry.

that's what they say here in dfw too... heck, ive seen em in grapevine in 4 different feeder creeks.
Posted By: slabnut

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/10/18 12:37 AM

How about Cedar Creek? Any gators out there?
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/10/18 12:48 AM

http://www.dfwwildlife.org/Alligator%20Distribution%20in%20Texas.pdf

Re: Gators in the Lew? - 03/10/18 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: slabnut
How about Cedar Creek? Any gators out there?

a bunch
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum