Texas Fishing Forum

Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other?

Posted By: Tatorbones

Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/06/18 05:32 PM

Recently I watched a video of pro Scott Martin catching large mouth and stripers at the same time.

So my question is do largemouth school with sand bass or hybrids on and off? Or if you find out the school has sand bass do you just move on, because you know the green backs are not around.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/06/18 05:35 PM

a big school of sandies feeding on top is like a shad blender. what would you do if you were a fat bass?
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/06/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
a big school of sandies feeding on top is like a shad blender. what would you do if you were a fat bass?

Excellent thought and it is a misconception that Bass will not eat a Sand Bass; so stay with them, mimic all the other species with your baits that are feeding on the bait ball. Bass hate other predator species acting out of the ordinary. If you must throw an exact bait to match the bait ball throw one that represents a dying or wounded one letting if fall out the bottom.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/06/18 06:38 PM

I have caught them together like that but in my experience the sandy catches will far outnumber the largemouth. Sandbass, Hybrids, and Stripers are more numerous and are hyper aggressive feeders. For the blacks it's like an adult getting to the buffet after the teenagers have already been there.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/06/18 06:40 PM

My PB was caught while fishing for sandies.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/06/18 06:49 PM

I would be stroking a jig under those sandies. I actually caught a sandbass on Sandlin that was then ate by an 8.6 lb largemouth while reeling it in.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/06/18 07:47 PM

I caught a huge sandbass last weekend, followed by an even bigger bass. Same point, same bait. I think if opportunity is there, both will feed in the same area.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/07/18 12:39 AM

When I was a kid we would catch them all schooling together all during the summer months on Toledo....saw it again on Toledo last June... literally caught bass, crappie, sand bass,and catfish, off the same hump.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/07/18 01:35 AM

If they are schooling on top use a huge topwatwr like a large pencil popper or a 6” lunker punker.
If there are any bass they will smash it. If you use anything smaller all you will catch are sandbass.
Also a large swimbait under them will get you bit.
Posted By: Tatorbones

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/08/18 02:13 PM

Sounds like everybody had a bit of advice I can use. Forming a plan of attack by dropping a jig underneath or a big top water that sand bass wont be able to eat, or swimming a big swim bait through the commotion.

Use to just move on rather then pick the feeding frenzy apart looking for LM. Not anymore.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/08/18 02:18 PM

Weightless fluke falling slowly through the feeding frenzy.
Posted By: yandeltx

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/08/18 02:34 PM

When the dinner bell rings everyone comes running.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/09/18 04:48 AM

Summer mornings we catch Blacks and sandies together a lot.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/09/18 04:51 AM

The sandies chase the top water and the largemouths are underneath.
You fish deep to avoid the rucus on top and you will catch some largemouth
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/09/18 01:57 PM

Was once waiting on some buddies at a marina when a guide boat pulled up. An older gentleman came up to me and couldn’t wait to show me his pictures. Said he had never experienced such a thing in his life. He showed me pictures of more 8 lbers than I could dream of catching in a lifetime.

Guide came by and told me, “If you find the white bass, you’ve found the big largemouth.”

He said to fish mag flukes underneath the whites and resist the urge to set the hook as the bait is sinking to the bottom.

We never did find the white bass that weekend to try it out.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/09/18 02:01 PM

I've caught blacks by throwing a large spook around the whites.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/09/18 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S

Shad Blender... roflmao

Good one David!
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Schooling bass? Sand Bass or Large Mouth? Together or one of the other? - 03/09/18 06:48 PM

chum line?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum