Texas Fishing Forum

Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic

Posted By: TBassYates

Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/02/18 09:24 PM

Got an email from a fishing partner. We were headed to Cypress Springs in the morning and he had me check the Franklin County Water District website and it says the lake is closed to boat traffic due to the water level being almost 3 feet high.
Posted By: Big1Bass

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/02/18 09:28 PM

So you if you live on the lake and your boat is already on the water, how in the world can they close the lake due to a little water..
Posted By: Big1Bass

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/02/18 09:31 PM

Leave it the Millionaires..

Lake surface activity closed

Print
Details Category: Breaking News Published on 01 March 2018 Written by Lillie Bush-Reves .
All water traffic on Lake Cypress Springs is strictly prohibited and boat ramps are closed due to high water elevations. The closure automatically went into effect Thursday morning, March 1, after the lake level reached the elevation of 380.50 ft MSL or 2.5 feet above conservation pool (378 ft MSL).

The restrictions are aimed at reducing damage and/or preventing safety issues because of wave action created by watercraft on the lake. The FCWD staff asks for the cooperation of all residents and visitors to adhere to these regulations.

The District’s Rules and Regulations (Article 2.8) state that when the District closes the lake or any District boat ramp that “no person, vehicle or water craft shall be allowed on the Lake or to utilize any boat ramp until the Lake and/or boat ramp is re-opened. Any prohibited use of the Lake or boat ramp during closure is a violation of the Rules.”

"During a lake closure, this rule is strictly enforced and citations will be issued," David Weidman, FCWD General Manager, said Thursday.

Under the District’s Rules and Regulations (Article 14.20 t) also states, that “All boats lifted and stored in Boathouses shall be restricted, by tie (rope, chain, chord, etc.), or by obstruction (bar, pole, post, etc.), from floating outside of the Boathouse perimeter. All smaller watercraft (jet skis, paddle boats, kayaks, canoes, etc.) shall be similarly secured from floating untethered.”

"Watercraft that are found in violation of this rule will be impounded and removed from the reservoir," Mr. Weidman added.

Check www.mt-vernon.com and "Mount Vernon Optic-Herald" on Facebook for updates as well as www.fcwd.com
Posted By: Matt Jackson

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 02:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up! I'm not sure if it will clear up by next week or not.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 02:33 AM

It all depends on if we get more rain out there. I’ve never seen it closed for 2.5’ over. Homeowners have total Control over that lake. Pathetic. They tear up more than they realize throwing 3’ wakes 20 yards off the front of peoples docks all summer long. Hopefully it goes down quickly so this isn’t even an issue anymore
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: Big1Bass

Print
Details Category: Breaking News Published on 01 March 2018 Written by Lillie Bush-Reves .
All water traffic on Lake Cypress Springs is strictly prohibited and boat ramps are closed due to high water elevations. The closure automatically went into effect Thursday morning, March 1, after the lake level reached the elevation of 380.50 ft MSL or 2.5 feet above conservation pool (378 ft MSL).

The restrictions are aimed at reducing damage and/or preventing safety issues because of wave action created by watercraft on the lake. The FCWD staff asks for the cooperation of all residents and visitors to adhere to these regulations.

The District’s Rules and Regulations (Article 2.8) state that when the District closes the lake or any District boat ramp that “no person, vehicle or water craft shall be allowed on the Lake or to utilize any boat ramp until the Lake and/or boat ramp is re-opened. Any prohibited use of the Lake or boat ramp during closure is a violation of the Rules.”

"During a lake closure, this rule is strictly enforced and citations will be issued," David Weidman, FCWD General Manager, said Thursday.

Under the District’s Rules and Regulations (Article 14.20 t) also states, that “All boats lifted and stored in Boathouses shall be restricted, by tie (rope, chain, chord, etc.), or by obstruction (bar, pole, post, etc.), from floating outside of the Boathouse perimeter. All smaller watercraft (jet skis, paddle boats, kayaks, canoes, etc.) shall be similarly secured from floating untethered.”

"Watercraft that are found in violation of this rule will be impounded and removed from the reservoir," Mr. Weidman added.

Check www.mt-vernon.com and "Mount Vernon Optic-Herald" on Facebook for updates as well as www.fcwd.com

Guess I’m one of those “a-holes”. I have a house on the water out here and I completely agree with them closing the lake to boats right now. Wakes hitting boat houses that are under water can cause a ton of damage. There are a ton of areas of the lake right now where boats in boat lifts are sitting just at or under the water right now. So, imagine what would happen with boat wakes hitting those bass, ski and wake boats, etc.

Imagine paying all that money for a boat or boat house only to have it destroyed because someone can’t wait a few days to fish the lake

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 02:49 AM

Just looked.. it’s fallen .1 in 1 hour. At that rate 10 hours should equal 1’ of drop without anymore runoff. Hopefully, By Wednesday it will be opened back up.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Chris G

Print

Guess I’m one of those “a-holes”. I have a house on the water out here and I completely agree with them closing the lake to boats right now. Wakes hitting boat houses that are under water can cause a ton of damage. There are a ton of areas of the lake right now where boats in boat lifts are sitting just at or under the water right now. So, imagine what would happen with boat wakes hitting those bass, ski and wake boats, etc.

Imagine paying all that money for a boat or boat house only to have it destroyed because someone can’t wait a few days to fish the lake

Imagine paying all that money for a boat that I can't use for a few days because a few boathouse owners didn't have the forethought to build a dock that can rise and fall with the water elevation.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 03:57 AM

popcorn
Posted By: sprigsss

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 04:12 AM

Cant believe there are people that believe their right to fish is more important than other peoples' property.

Well nevermind, I actually can believe it.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 06:03 AM

Originally Posted By: sprigsss
Cant believe there are people that believe their right to fish is more important than other peoples' property.

Well nevermind, I actually can believe it.

Argument could be made that their tax dollars fund the lake and that it is a public waterway.
With that said, if me not being on the water for a couple of days could prevent someone's property from being torn up or destroyed - then there are other lakes open.
Common courtesy...
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 06:30 AM

That's why it is nice that some lakes don't allow people to build on the water
Posted By: John Holland

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 07:44 PM

There isn't a boat dock on that lake that was built to rise and fall with lake elevation, he obviously doesn't know that this considered a constant level reservoir. Docks on lakes that fluctuate constantly are on foam and rise and fall, but this is not one of those. Typically this flooding is not a problem here. Just gonna take a little time.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 09:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Gamblinman
Originally Posted By: Chris G

Print

Imagine paying all that money for a boat that I can't use for a few days because a few boathouse owners didn't have the forethought to build a dock that can rise and fall with the water elevation.

Yea because there aren’t but another 500 lakes in Texas that are fine.

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 10:01 PM

About the time this topic has run its course, the lake will be reopened. Not a big deal.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/03/18 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
About the time this topic has run its course, the lake will be reopened. Not a big deal.

Too late. It was open this morning. I am stuck at work all day, but RHBC has a few people out there pre-fishing. Hope to head that way tomorrow; See y’all Thursday!!!

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/04/18 12:17 AM

I’ll be out there wed-sat smile
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/04/18 01:30 AM

I was there at 7 this morning at Tall Tree and it was still closed. The first boat house had about a foot of water over the deck.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/04/18 03:12 AM

It could be worse. They closed Lake Tyler when it was one foot high. The city claimed it was because of "floating debris" that would endanger boaters. LOL.
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/04/18 02:53 PM

Originally Posted By: John Holland
There isn't a boat dock on that lake that was built to rise and fall with lake elevation, he obviously doesn't know that this considered a constant level reservoir. Docks on lakes that fluctuate constantly are on foam and rise and fall, but this is not one of those. Typically this flooding is not a problem here. Just gonna take a little time.

Yes...I knew it. I was just being the devils advocate to Mr. "a-holes".
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Cypress Springs - Closed to boat traffic - 03/04/18 03:04 PM

No canoe or kayak
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum