Texas Fishing Forum

FLW boat collision

Posted By: ChanceHuiet

FLW boat collision - 03/02/18 07:51 PM

Another collision. This time at Lalw Seminole. What in the world is going on lately. Crazy 2 this year in FLW.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/02/18 08:02 PM

https://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2018-03-02-boat-collision-at-seminole

It's as "not serious" as a boat collision can be
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/02/18 11:59 PM

Originally Posted By: SoCal Tom
https://www.flwfishing.com/tips/2018-03-02-boat-collision-at-seminole

It's as "not serious" as a boat collision can be

1 person transported to the hospital with serious injuries....doesn’t sound not serious.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 12:01 AM

Said the one of the co-angler's had serious injury's and was taken to a hospital.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 12:37 AM

Maybe they couldn’t see over their 36” of graphs in front of them...

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Maybe they couldn’t see over their 36” of graphs in front of them...

Probably was pilot error, boats seldom run into each other on their own. Been too much of this lately, may be the beginning of some new rules.
Posted By: ssfireman

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 01:14 AM

need to restrict speed in tournaments boats go faster then people can handle
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 01:20 AM

Shhhhhh.......

Gonna get bass boats outlawed.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: ssfireman

FLW said this was a "low speed" collision...how much more do you want to slow them down? Idle? TM only?
Posted By: Thomas H.

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Shhhhhh.......

Gonna get bass boats outlawed.

haha. Their assault weapons Steez cry .
Posted By: Igofish2

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 01:49 AM

Anything less than WOT, is low speed for most fishing any tournament.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 01:53 AM

Dang that sucks! They should just outlaw fishing derbies.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 02:04 AM

Saw it earlier today on Facebook. Wouldn't believe the clueless comments about too much HP and 80mph boats. Amazing how many clueless people felt there over powered and should be licensed to operate one.
Posted By: ssmith

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 03:30 AM

in what world would a boating accident not be serious when a participant has to go to the hospital with serious injuries. these guys are supposed to be pros at least they could use some better judgment.
Posted By: Amackmac

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 06:47 AM

They do..its called a 250.

Look on a 20-21' boat and see what the max hp rating is

The trails have done a great job restricting speed man
Posted By: John175☮

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 10:39 AM

Too much HP and 80mph boats. bolt
Posted By: WAWI

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 10:43 AM

Originally Posted By: TinRangerJim

FLW said this was a "low speed" collision...how much more do you want to slow them down? Idle? TM only?

Low speed just means it was a couple rangers involved
Posted By: C130

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 11:39 AM

Originally Posted By: WAWI

Now that's funny! roflmao
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 12:46 PM

Originally Posted By: C130
Originally Posted By: WAWI

Now that's funny! roflmao

So you had to go there
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 02:18 PM

Most accidents I have seen involving bass boats are not at WOT. Limited visibility or inattention seem to be the two biggest factors.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 02:37 PM

comments with no details... geez.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Maybe, according to local authorities, this latest incident could be a game changer.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: joebass2
Originally Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Maybe, according to local authorities, this latest incident could be a game changer.

Are authorities swinging for the fences?
Posted By: elkhunter7x6

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 05:34 PM

I doubt it. It was definetly a game changer for the fishermen though.
Posted By: emorydog

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/03/18 07:33 PM

Not necessarily this incident in particular but as a broad observation, I think some of the problem is that there are many people who have the money for a nice boat, have some vacation time and pay higher entry and call them self a “pro”. Many think they are great boaters and invincible and in control when actually they are uneducated in general fishing etiquette, are easily distracted or have no awareness of their surroundings, have little regard for others right to enjoy the lake, and have marginal at best boating skills.

Nobody in their circle will tell them truth and explain to them they aren’t really a “pro” just because he has three power poles and a 6 graph set up and paid $700 more entry fee for a tournament. I seen a bunch of these types and they definitely aren’t “pros”. I am here to let you know you are not a “pro” just because you have all the fresh gear as well as paid for both the wrap AND a Jersey. That is simply a label that only separates level of the prizes in that field. So no...still not a “pro”.

I would guess as much as 60% fall into this category in FLW costa and the Opens and really are just working class fishing on the side. I don’t think the co-angler signs up for a “pro” who think they can run to any spot they want in bad weather and in big water risking both their lives, passes way too close to a boat when the front boat could easily swerve or make a turn at any time creating real bad outcomes, following to close behind at WOT and not knowing exactly when the guy in front lays off the throttle running up the back, when someone who runs fog at high speeds by GPS cause they have a trail marked, even the guy trying to fast idle past you to “the spot” and bangs a stump forcing the boat into yours and causing damage. Those aren’t accidents, that is negligence.

Many appear clueless (and many actually are) and really surprised there aren’t more accidents. Co-anglers don’t sign up to have someone risk their life like some of these keyboard cowboys state, saying they know what they signed up for beforehand. No, they don’t sign up to see if they can cheat death while in a tournament with a guy they likely don’t know, they simply want to go fishing and have a shot at some money to boot, not die.

Determining what is considered unsafe boating practices is certainly subjective, but I suspect many “accidents” are actually negligence and should be pursued in both civil and criminal courts from what I have read in recent years. I hope nobody kills anyone solely because they can afford a boat they can’t really drive all that well, or even really understand its limitations, and them being a self proclaimed “pro” clouds reality about their own skill set...but that unfortunately is inevitable. Who the next “pro” we read about. Maybe it’s you.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/04/18 12:59 AM

Originally Posted By: emorydog
Not necessarily this incident in particular but as a broad observation, I think some of the problem is that there are many people who have the money for a nice boat, have some vacation time and pay higher entry and call them self a “pro”. Many think they are great boaters and invincible and in control when actually they are uneducated in general fishing etiquette, are easily distracted or have no awareness of their surroundings, have little regard for others right to enjoy the lake, and have marginal at best boating skills.

Nobody in their circle will tell them truth and explain to them they aren’t really a “pro” just because he has three power poles and a 6 graph set up and paid $700 more entry fee for a tournament. I seen a bunch of these types and they definitely aren’t “pros”. I am here to let you know you are not a “pro” just because you have all the fresh gear as well as paid for both the wrap AND a Jersey. That is simply a label that only separates level of the prizes in that field. So no...still not a “pro”.

I would guess as much as 60% fall into this category in FLW costa and the Opens and really are just working class fishing on the side. I don’t think the co-angler signs up for a “pro” who think they can run to any spot they want in bad weather and in big water risking both their lives, passes way too close to a boat when the front boat could easily swerve or make a turn at any time creating real bad outcomes, following to close behind at WOT and not knowing exactly when the guy in front lays off the throttle running up the back, when someone who runs fog at high speeds by GPS cause they have a trail marked, even the guy trying to fast idle past you to “the spot” and bangs a stump forcing the boat into yours and causing damage. Those aren’t accidents, that is negligence.

Many appear clueless (and many actually are) and really surprised there aren’t more accidents. Co-anglers don’t sign up to have someone risk their life like some of these keyboard cowboys state, saying they know what they signed up for beforehand. No, they don’t sign up to see if they can cheat death while in a tournament with a guy they likely don’t know, they simply want to go fishing and have a shot at some money to boot, not die.

Determining what is considered unsafe boating practices is certainly subjective, but I suspect many “accidents” are actually negligence and should be pursued in both civil and criminal courts from what I have read in recent years. I hope nobody kills anyone solely because they can afford a boat they can’t really drive all that well, or even really understand its limitations, and them being a self proclaimed “pro” clouds reality about their own skill set...but that unfortunately is inevitable. Who the next “pro” we read about. Maybe it’s you.

That was a buzzkill.

Jk.

Well said.
Posted By: Mike Martin USA

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 03:49 PM

This didn't happen becuase of high speed. I do beileve people need to be more careful and watch were they are going!
Posted By: dk2429

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
need to restrict speed in tournaments boats go faster than I can handle

Fixed it for you

roflmao
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 05:29 PM

How come Champs can have 250-350 boat events and no one runs into each other but FLW can’t seem to keep their guys from having accidents
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 05:44 PM

X2 roflmao

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 05:48 PM

???? Maturity,experience,common sense,respect for safety????
Dont HAVE to race to a "spot"??? Who knows, Jake?
OR
THEYRE just, more commonly, laid back navigators with confidence that RESPECT a co-angler & other peoples investment & lives are just as important as theirs. In general Champion owners are older & have a LOT of experience dealing with navigation at any speed, weather/lake conditions. IMO it doesnt mayter which brand boat you drivr its still YOURE responsibility to navigate safely. My top rant is the ones who run high speed, in fog, following a GPS track & cant see past the bow. Thats just INSANE, no matter what level tournament !!!
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 06:05 PM

These accidents are probably just a statistically outlier anyway. If FLW continues to see accidents then they will officially have a problem to work on fixing

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 06:08 PM

Agreed.
But... the 2 Ranger comment was still funny.
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: emorydog

I do agree with this, I even know some. For me personally, having major back and neck problems has made me be very aware of my surroundings and always contemplating "what if's" , and how I would respond. Can't trust other drivers, especially In a vehicle with no brakes....
Posted By: SAKS

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 07:46 PM

Just getting older has made me more aware of the "what ifs". I have no health issues (knock on wood) but I see things in a much different way than I did when I was in my 20's and 30's. I have always tried to be safe on the water but I still operate my boat much different now than I did then.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)
How come Champs can have 250-350 boat events and no one runs into each other but FLW can’t seem to keep their guys from having accidents

Because most champs guys are regular guys who are having to work very hard to buy a boat, tackle, truck, etc. so they are careful and take care of what they have worked for. Guessing a lot of pros get free stuff and have the "oh well if I wreck it, break it, lose it, it was free" attitude.
Posted By: Big Ned

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 10:08 PM

In this page alone Jake, Curtbass, Saks, and Bass Buster all make a valid point it seems Bass Champs, TTT and other trails have more seasoned guys that speed and other anglers concerns are safety are foremost. I for one do not want to tear up a boat let alone injure a partner, competitor or recreation angler. Even in tournaments I give way first whether I am (ON THEM) or not I have had a good year fishing Champs and TTT but at Toledo when Chad asked everyone to be cautious running I ran south with maybe 10-12 other boats in line and even though we had limited fishing time due to fog there was a couple idiots that passed us in the trees. We were all running 55-60 mph but they acted like they had to get somewhere first. I sure hope they cashed a check and it was worth their safety. The only bad thing about fishing tournaments and don't get me wrong I love them is when you put money on the line people do tend to forget everything else.
Posted By: Atta

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/05/18 11:56 PM

Sad thing is Frank clarck actually does drive a ranger. So the post is 1/2 right. Can’t find pics of the other guy Adam
Posted By: junk baits

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/06/18 02:50 AM

Its odds of probability. Champs fish for one day and FLW fish for 3 day tournaments,, not counting practice days. Plus more intense these guys fish for the rent and the light bill and sponsored by giant corporations. Y'all guy comparing Champs to FLW is like comparing Friday night dirt track to NASCAR.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/06/18 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: junk baits
Its odds of probability. Champs fish for one day and FLW fish for 3 day tournaments,, not counting practice days. Plus more intense these guys fish for the rent and the light bill and sponsored by giant corporations. Y'all guy comparing Champs to FLW is like comparing Friday night dirt track to NASCAR.
. If you think Champs is dirt track then you don't fish Champs. Very high level of competition and many anglers just as good as FLW guys.

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/06/18 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: leethefishking
Originally Posted By: junk baits
. If you think Champs is dirt track then you don't fish Champs. Very high level of competition and many anglers just as good as FLW guys.

I agree with this 100%. Top anglers in Bass Champs IMO are just as good as top anglers in FLW given the same opportunities. Given they only have one day to catch a winning sack they may be better. How many first day leaders in FLW end up winning ? As far as ability to operate a bass boat safely, statistics favor Bass Champs. thumb
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/06/18 01:52 PM

Just because you fish the tour doesn't mean you have a clue how to operate a boat or even catch fish. Some of those guys went straight to the tour, never fished local big trails. Some are right out of college.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/06/18 02:41 PM

Well, prayers for the injured angler, that suxs.
Webber has many accurate points, I know because I know his history for those of you who don't, a very accomplished an angler. I've had more than a few buds fish as CO''s on the FLW, mostly faverabl comments about boat control in bad conditions, some not so good..
Personally, in hazardous conditions, and not knowing the drivers ability, I would have to have a little come to Jesus with him before boarding...or let me drive... grin
Posted By: junk baits

Re: FLW boat collision - 03/06/18 04:12 PM

Boat accidents will continue to increase due to the drive and stare at the 12 inch or larger screen above the steering wheel or to the right of console. Same thing happened when we all started Texting and driving. Plus very few boat drivers don't know coast guard rules on how to approach and pass on coming boats. I have always been for a boat driving test. Just like shipping channels for large vessels
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum