Texas Fishing Forum

How Big?

Posted By: Landon Glenn

How Big? - 03/02/18 04:13 PM

I know there are MANY different variables involved and that this can vary from lake to lake, but wanted to get some opinions on just how big the average bass on an average Texas lake will get in their lifetime. What's y'alls thoughts?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: How Big? - 03/02/18 06:12 PM

If we're talking average weight, I'm gonna say around the 1-2 pound range. Think of all the inexperienced anglers and people who fish streams or ponds. I'm not saying they can't catch big fish, not at all, I'm just saying their average is probably 1-2 pounds, and there are a lot of them. There are lots of experienced anglers that catch a lot of 1-2 pound fish, even if they don't want to admit it. grin

I bet during the Spring that average rises to 2-3 pounds. I could be wrong though.

This is just my guess and I could probably be way off.

This is probably one of the hardest questions in the world to answer.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: How Big? - 03/02/18 06:39 PM

If you are talking about how big the average bass gets through their entire life, about 1/2 lb. you would need to take into account the millions that get eaten by other fish. If you are asking of those that grow to at least “keeper” size, then of course, this is just a thumb in the air guesstimate of 2-3 pounds.
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: How Big? - 03/02/18 06:44 PM

if you are talking ones that live to a ripe old age, there's still a tremendous variation by Gender and Genetics.

Average old florida male might be 3-4lbs? Female 10+
Average old northern male 2-3lbs? Female 6+

just a guess.
Posted By: Landon Glenn

Re: How Big? - 03/02/18 06:49 PM

Talking more so the fish that survive and live to a ripe old age as Ted stated. Definitely lots of variables as y'all have pointed which makes this a tough a one..
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum