Texas Fishing Forum

Leave it in or trailer boat everyday?

Posted By: skeeterK

Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 02:40 AM

I'm renting a lake house for 4 days at Toledo Bend soon that has a covered boat house but the owner has his boat up in the lift and there's room underneath for a second boat but it would have to stay in the water. Assuming good weather and little wind, would you leave your boat in water for 4 days? Or trailer it at the end of each day and flush it?

Thanks!
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 02:49 AM

Leave it....it’s 4 days. Assuming it’s a safe location and you’re not worried about anyone taking anything.
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:03 AM

Depends on how far the ramp was. I’m not a fan of leaving my boat in the water overnight. Too many bad things can happen in order to save 20-30min it takes to launch and go. If it’s even that far.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:11 AM

Waves can beat the boat against the dock pretty good.

Me? I'm pulling it out of the lake every night.
Posted By: Curtbass

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:16 AM

Trailer. No critters either
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:29 AM

If you left your boat in Sandlin 4 days, it would take a month to get the tea colored stains off. I'm not sure about the stain factor at Toledo Bend. Most lakes aren't that bad, but it's something to consider.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:47 AM

Always trailer. Never take a chance on the weather. Just the cleaning alone on the hull would take a full day if you leave it in the water. Take it out each day and wipe it down with vinegar and water. It will not need any clean up at the end of your trip except for the inside of the boat. Many hours will be saved.
Posted By: Jeff From Iowa

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:49 AM

I’d leave it in. I’ve pulled mine up on shore for a week at fork and it was fine.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 04:06 AM

Think it depends on how good you tie it off. I wouldnt want my boat bumping up against the dock all night
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 12:28 PM

Depends, I would leave it but my boat is 25 years old, how far is the dock from the cabin? are you going to have to pull graphs and rods so nobody steals anything. If you do leave it I would point the front of the boat towards the lake.
Posted By: JBranham

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 12:38 PM

Trailer it. A couple years ago I rented a house on TB and left the boat tied up at the rented dock and a storm popped up out of nowhere and if I hadn’t gone down to check on it would have sunk the boat. I had no choice but to jump in and go put the boat on the trailer in the storm and about sunk it while doing that. The waves were crashing over the back of the boat, bildge pumping constantly, and ripped the hand rail out of the fiberglass that I was using to tie the boat up before I could get to it.

Better safe then sorry.....only $3600 in fiberglass damage and I considered that lucky....

This was also during the day when I was awake, if it had been during the night while asleep then I probably would have lost the boat.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 12:42 PM

Since it is so simple to load and unload a boat, I say pull it out every day.
Posted By: gatoreyes

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 12:53 PM

OMG, leave it in! I go to Toledo Bend every spring and one of the best parts of the trip is a covered boat slip. Come in for lunch, just tie up and connect the battery charger. Never had a problem and the boat gets washed after the trip.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 01:54 PM

I would recommend you trailering it and finding a different place to stay away from the horrible water that damages everything. Can I have the number of the place you were gonna stay with the boat slip?
Posted By: CBoone

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 01:59 PM

The last thing I'd want to find in the boat is a snake...therefore I'd trailer it.
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 02:11 PM

Thanks for all of the comments.

The boat house has two sides open and padded on all 3 sides. However, I'm leaning to trailer it over night as their is a neighborhood ramp just 5 houses away and my Skeeter is only 2 years old. I also didn't consider critters. Just mentioning that possiblity will make the wife hound me to park in the garage.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 02:14 PM

Snake can get in your trailer just as easy ( and its just as unlikely) ON the trailer as in the water... Trust me i've had it happen

Leave it, I can not explain how nice it is to wake up, eat your breakfast, walk down to your boat that already has your rods laid out strapped down ready to go, step into the boat and GO.

NO truck, no idiots at the boat ramp who don't turn off their lights... just Go Fish'n... Ideally you have a boat lift in the slip and a buddy to lower you but that is getting greedy lol

Only LEGITIMATE argument for pulling it out is if they DON'T have a lift in the slip and there is a big storm coming. But watch the weather which you should be doing any way and only pull it out if you gotta.
Posted By: MMosher

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 02:41 PM

If it's a protected dock I'd leave it on the lake.
Posted By: Reel Addict

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 02:51 PM

Trailer it..especially if ramp is that close.
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:08 PM

If its in a very protected cove you probably ok leaving it in. If not, don't do it. I have a place on Toledo and have seen that lake go from zero to insane in a matter of minutes many times.
Posted By: Matt Newsom

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: skeeterK
I'm renting a lake house for 4 days at Toledo Bend soon that has a covered boat house but the owner has his boat up in the lift and there's room underneath for a second boat but it would have to stay in the water. Assuming good weather and little wind, would you leave your boat in water for 4 days? Or trailer it at the end of each day and flush it?

Thanks!

Get proper Fenders, tie with line stern and bow, and add a spring line. Remember they tie saltwater boats up during hurricanes. You can never have to many fenders. Once you get it tied up use your foot and push and rock it in a bunch of different ways to see how it moves. I left mine tied up on Travis for a week in the summer with people in 24 ft wake board boats coming within 10 feet of it pushing out 5 foot wakes. If you have an auto-bilge sleep easy. Only concern would be if you dont have an auto-bilge and it comes a 10 incher you will have to run down there and click the pump on. I wouldn't worry too much about wild life unless you leave live bait or food in the boat. You might get some random spiders or some other nuisance wildlife but nothing that will do permanent damage to the boat. The only thing to be worried about would be an otter. An otter will destroy a boat but they will usually only hop in if you have live bait or food left in.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Leave it in or trailer boat everyday? - 02/28/18 03:47 PM

trailer, avoid pirates. slinger
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum