Texas Fishing Forum

Opinions

Posted By: Thomas H.

Opinions - 02/27/18 01:06 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjuOhjNPBLo

https://www.usadscenter.com/2007-STRATOS-176-XT-BASS-BOAT-Dallas-106349

I'm 16 years old and starting to save for my first bass boat and just needed opinions to see if anyone had anything to say about these boats. I will probably replace the outboard with a 115hp mercury.

I know this isn't the boat section but this section tends to get more views. popcorn
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 01:23 AM

First boat is just that, first boat. Nothing wrong with that boat for a first boat and the price is something very attainable for you. There of course is more that you must plan for like taxes, registration, maybe a battery, graphs and you'll have to fill it up with tackle but it will get you on the water. You do have a truck and drivers license right ?
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 01:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Thomas H.

I'm 16 years old and starting to save for my first bass boat and just needed opinions to see if anyone had anything to say about these boats. I will probably replace the outboard with a 115hp mercury.

I know this isn't the boat section but this section tends to get more views. popcorn

This is just my opinion. The boat is registered in Louisiana but the ad is from Dallas. Beware of any ad that says "will deliver". The boat looks to be in incredible condition to only be sold at $2300.

If you get involved with this person, beware of any attempts to get money from you "upfont".
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 01:40 AM

Scam.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 01:40 AM

Ad screams scam to me, be careful. Just my opinion. But for a first boat absolutely nothing wrong with that brand/style/size.

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
First boat is just that, first boat. Nothing wrong with that boat for a first boat and the price is something very attainable for you. There of course is more that you must plan for like taxes, registration, maybe a battery, graphs and you'll have to fill it up with tackle but it will get you on the water. You do have a truck and drivers license right ?

Yes sir. I've got a 2006 Toyota Tundra V8. Should tow a 17ft boat fine. I will probably order the fish finder online about the time I get the boat. Probably one of the older Lowrances.

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 01:55 AM

Looking for a legit place to buy a decent used boat? Go to CrankyApe dot com.

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 01:56 AM

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-stratos-176xt-103250917

What do you guys think of this one? This one seemed even more scammy because it was a call for price. There should at least be an estimate. However, it is closer to Angelo and I could drive down to look at it first and see if it is scammy or not. Hubbard Creek is close and I'd test the outboard and trolling motor to see if everything is good to go.

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Yes sir. I've got a 2006 Toyota Tundra V8. Should tow a 17ft boat fine. I will probably order the fish finder online about the time I get the boat. Probably one of the older Lowrances.

Sorry Thomas but I only looked at the boat and didn't finish watching the video. If Steez thinks it's a scam it probably is. Buying locally is always a great idea but still needs to be the right boat for you. Boat Trader, Craigslist are good sources as well as the boats advertised on here. You'll get a lot of advice on here, just sort it out but I would think your father would be the go to for a final decision. Good luck and don't be in a hurry.
Posted By: cruzfishing

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor

This is just my opinion. The boat is registered in Louisiana but the ad is from Dallas. Beware of any ad that says "will deliver". The boat looks to be in incredible condition to only be sold at $2300.

If you get involved with this person, beware of any attempts to get money from you "upfont".

Agreed, this has the hallmark of being a fake ad, all Caps, Anonymous listing... a JUNO address? I mean didn't Juno stop working in the late 90's? What.... did he post it using Netscape Navigator?
I think Juno only works in Nigeria now... Be Careful this does not look legitimate. Best of luck though!

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:11 AM

What do you guys think of this one? This one seemed even more scammy because it was a call for price. There should at least be an estimate. However, it is closer to Angelo and I could drive down to look at it first and see if it is scammy or not. Hubbard Creek is close and I'd test the outboard and trolling motor to see if everything is good to go.

Doubt its a scam they just want to put a sales pitch on you. Pretty ordinary actually.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Scam.

Yep ^^^^^
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:26 AM

Scams typically list an overly cheap price to make you think you have to hurry to buy it before someone else does and people typically make bad decisions when they think they are getting a smoking deal. If an ad says call for price I would think it wasn't a scam, but I would also think it is probably overpriced.
Posted By: JCBfromTHF

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:36 AM

Since you are first time buyer, be sure you get a title for both the boat and the motor. You should have a title for each.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:40 AM

Bass Boat Central is legit.

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:46 AM

Bass Boat Central is legit.
yessir.

So is this place. I bought mine from a fellow TFFer.

CrankyApe is a legitimate auction site....sometimes there is a screaming deal there. Way below market value. That's why I suggested it.
Posted By: J Davidson

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 03:47 AM

Ask them to send you a copy of titles...they claim they have clear titles. Do not buy a boat without an acceptable title being signed over to you. Boat looks great and price seems very good. Always test drive the boat in the water.
Posted By: lodell23

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 03:56 AM

PM me if you want some tips..I bought my first boat on here at 16 also
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Opinions - 02/27/18 02:09 PM

Test drive before you buy. Also have the motor checked out. At least get a compression check.

Re: Opinions - 02/28/18 07:13 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations on a good bass boat with at least a 90hp that is an older model because I obviously won't have a very big budget. I've tried the website recommendations but most boats are about $15,000 plus or don't have a very wide selection. I'm looking for a boat under $12,000 and is in the Lonestar area.

Re: Opinions - 02/28/18 07:21 PM

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2004-triton-v176-103197569?refSource=standard%20listing
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Opinions - 02/28/18 07:31 PM

Far be it from me to tell another man how to spend his money, but given how young you are let me offer some unsolicited advice. Make sure you've got all your ducks in a row for college and starting life before you buy a boat. They are giant money pits. At your age if you are a good kid with a solid head on your shoulders you should have no problem finding someone in your area to let you back seat whenever you want. Buying a boat now only to take out college loans at 6% interest in 2 years could set you back way farther in life than you could ever imagine. If college and starting life are not a worry because you are independently wealthy, then ignore everything I've said and have it!

Posted By: squib

Re: Opinions - 02/28/18 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Scam.

Yep ^^^^^

Yep
Posted By: Joe dirt 318

Re: Opinions - 02/28/18 08:06 PM

There is an 04 xpress x19 for sale in the trade/swap classified section.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Opinions - 02/28/18 08:22 PM

Whatever you do be sure to have the motor checked out before you test drive it.

Re: Opinions - 02/28/18 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
Far be it from me to tell another man how to spend his money, but given how young you are let me offer some unsolicited advice. Make sure you've got all your ducks in a row for college and starting life before you buy a boat. They are giant money pits. At your age if you are a good kid with a solid head on your shoulders you should have no problem finding someone in your area to let you back seat whenever you want. Buying a boat now only to take out college loans at 6% interest in 2 years could set you back way farther in life than you could ever imagine. If college and starting life are not a worry because you are independently wealthy, then ignore everything I've said and have it!

My grandpa owns his own air conditioning business here and makes a pretty penny but he is getting older and I've been working with him in the business my whole life but recently have really taken steps forward to help with the business. The plan is when he just can't work anymore that I will take over the business. College is still an option but it isn't ideal since I really won't be needing it. I thought about going to Sweetwater because they have an air conditioning school and it is only an hour away but we will just have to see how much longer he can work.
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Opinions - 02/28/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue

My grandpa owns his own air conditioning business here and makes a pretty penny but he is getting older and I've been working with him in the business my whole life but recently have really taken steps forward to help with the business. The plan is when he just can't work anymore that I will take over the business. College is still an option but it isn't ideal since I really won't be needing it. I thought about going to Sweetwater because they have an air conditioning school and it is only an hour away but we will just have to see how much longer he can work.

Rock on buddy. Sounds like you've got a good plan.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum