Texas Fishing Forum

Bass champs question

Posted By: B-Deuces

Bass champs question - 02/23/18 01:34 PM

At what point do they reschedule the tournaments? tomorrows forecast isnt just looking rough, its dangerous...

Strong thunderstorms likely. Damaging winds and large hail with some storms. Morning high of 68F with temps falling to near 55. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 100%.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 01:41 PM

They won’t even think about canceling it to morning off even then if weather is good at takeoff, they’ll leave it up to the anglers to get in and out of weather
Posted By: buda13

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 01:51 PM

Give Basschamps a call or shoot Jeff/Chad an email. All the contact info is on their site... anytime I've reached out they've always responded pretty quickly. One of the many reasons Basschamps is the best in the biz IMO. thumb
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 01:52 PM

15-25mph winds is just springtime in Texas.

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 01:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

not concerned about winds, but large hail doesnt seem fun at all.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 01:57 PM

Very unlikely the weather this weekend will call for cancelling this event. They did cancel one a few years ago but it was icing and snowing. No reason to cancel this one.
Posted By: Dax Davis

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 01:57 PM

I heard this morning on a local radio station doing the weather they said wind 30 with gust up to 45. Will just have to wait and see what happeans.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 02:00 PM

Originally Posted By: young gun 12
At what point do they reschedule the tournaments? tomorrows forecast isnt just looking rough, its dangerous...

Strong thunderstorms likely. Damaging winds and large hail with some storms. Morning high of 68F with temps falling to near 55. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 100%.

Tourney fishing isn't for weenies.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 02:01 PM

last tourney I fished on Fork was during hurricane Ike.

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: young gun 12

not concerned about winds, but large hail doesnt seem fun at all.

If it starts hailing beach boat and find cover.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 02:21 PM

Everyone fishing needs to go to Home depot and get a hard hat
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 02:32 PM

And shoulder pads.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 02:46 PM

Be sure to have some standard size padded life jackets. One yr on fork in a Media it hailed like crazy.. all we could do was beach up under thick trees, sit indian style tight with big life jacket over head and shoulders.. it wasn't 100% but good enough to avoid serious injuries. . FYI, been there, not good.
Posted By: crankbait745

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 02:47 PM

Fish under the bridges.
Posted By: SkeeterB

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 02:54 PM

Not safe with those winds predicted and hail. Last year should have been canceled also with the high winds. Very dangerous. Takes one death or serious injury to change everyone’s lives.

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterB
Not safe with those winds predicted and hail. Last year should have been canceled also with the high winds. Very dangerous. Takes one death or serious injury to change everyone’s lives.

Since they always allow trailering at Fork there is no reason to make long runs by boat. We had zero issues last year with the wind. We fished where we wanted to fish and had fun. Caught fish all day long.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:09 PM

I have never fished a Bass Champs event I would not worry they know what they are doing .
Posted By: pacertom

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
last tourney I fished on Fork was during hurricane Ike.

Ha...I remember that well. We tried to slip in ANY bass to weigh by fishing the bank at LFM. Thought we were being clever. lol.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterB

Agreed.
However, it is an event fished (primarily by grown men) who should be able to make grown decisions. Responsibility lays with the angler, as it should.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:26 PM

If it starts hailing beach boat and find cover.

And don't forget to cover your graphs if it hails! That could be a disaster.
Posted By: Chris G

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:32 PM

I love all the "tough" guys on here. I've got news for you....no one on here no matter how big, small, tough, strong, etc will win a battle over lightning. If the event goes on as scheduled and the forecast holds true then we will have already paid our money and will be hanging out in the Rusty Nail at LFM watching the radar looking for any breaks in the storms to get on the water. My life isn't worth chasing those fish for $20,000.

I'm hoping they re-schedule but I know that is a nightmare for Chad and Jeff.

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris G
I love all the "tough" guys on here. I've got news for you....no one on here no matter how big, small, tough, strong, etc will win a battle over lightning. If the event goes on as scheduled and the forecast holds true then we will have already paid our money and will be hanging out in the Rusty Nail at LFM watching the radar looking for any breaks in the storms to get on the water. My life isn't worth chasing those fish for $20,000.

To me its not anything at all to do with "tough". If the event goes on we will fish unless we see or feel its not worth it. Not a fan of lightning either. I plan on launching at the ramp at my place so if we need to head back in I can be sitting in the comfort of my place watching it all unfold through a window.
Luckily there are a ton of ramps at Fork so no one should be too far away from one that they can't get off the water quickly if it gets bad.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:44 PM

I fished a champs on Toledo during a front in April. It was torrential rain and lightning and wind. So much that we sat under someone's dock for about 2 hours with Lonnie Stanley who was hiding as well. We all survived....I doubt tomorrow will be any worse

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:51 PM

To me its not anything at all to do with "tough". If the event goes on we will fish unless we see or feel its not worth it. Not a fan of lightning either. I plan on launching at the ramp at my place so if we need to head back in I can be sitting in the comfort of my place watching it all unfold through a window.
Luckily there are a ton of ramps at Fork so no one should be too far away from one that they can't get off the water quickly if it gets bad.

I agree with you Mark and that is exactly how we plan to approach it.

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 03:57 PM

I agree with you Mark and that is exactly how we plan to approach it.

Wish you guys the best tommorrow. Hope ya'll have a blast and catch a bunch. Stay safe and say hey if we run into you out there. I'll be the guy netting fish for my partner as usual.... roflmao
Posted By: buda13

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 04:02 PM

Guys, there is a CHANCE of damaging wind and a CHANCE of hail. How often does the weatherman get it right? What are the odds that the weatherman not only gets it right but also that hail and damaging wind also happen to hit the exact Fork area? I get the Safety Concern, with modern technology you will have access to real time weather radar and should be able to allow yourself ample time to return to the launch ramp or seek shelter. This will not be storms blowing up in an instant catching anyone off guard. Pay attention and be proactive folks. Hope everyone stays safe and has a good day, looking forward to seeing some of yall at registration tonight.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 04:02 PM

Delayed one day, Chad and Jeff are listening..

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 04:17 PM

Heck yes, moved to a day where we might actually get to enjoy a day of fishing instead of getting our butts handed to us by the wind

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 04:18 PM

http://basschamps.com/
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
They won’t even think about canceling it to morning off even then if weather is good at takeoff, they’ll leave it up to the anglers to get in and out of weather

Looks like you were a little off with that statement.
Posted By: Chad Miller

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 04:49 PM

what? someone who isnt involved in the decision making was wrong? say it isnt so.
Posted By: SkeeterEater

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 04:58 PM

ummm.... nope! lol, typically you are right though
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 05:16 PM

Thank you Basschamps for listening ! Good move!
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 05:30 PM

Originally Posted By: june-bug

Looks like you were a little off with that statement.

Hey even Michael Jordan missed a shot or two
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 05:34 PM

That is the beauty of a free society, because you and I would chose not to fish in that nasty weather, there are others that will. It's not my place to force my will or try and make others use a little common sense.

I am 100% with you, to throw the worn out line out there, "I ain't that mad at em" laugh
Posted By: Karl Dietz

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 06:29 PM

I just got a call and email....postponed til Sunday!
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 06:32 PM

I was going to fish Fork on Sunday anyways. thinking about registering since I will be there. I looked at the website and I can't find fishing hours listed anywhere. Anyone know what tournament hours are for this Sunday?

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
I was going to fish Fork on Sunday anyways. thinking about registering since I will be there. I looked at the website and I can't find fishing hours listed anywhere. Anyone know what tournament hours are for this Sunday?

It's a trailering event so typically first cast is around safe light or probably somewhere around 6:45 or 7:00 then last cast is at 3:00. Will have to be in line with your fish by 4:30. THIS IS JUST HOW ITS BEEN DONE BEFORE SO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ACTUAL DETAILS AT REGISTRATION TOMORROW
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Bass champs question - 02/23/18 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

It's a trailering event so typically first cast is around safe light or probably somewhere around 6:45 or 7:00 then last cast is at 3:00. Will have to be in line with your fish by 4:30. THIS IS JUST HOW ITS BEEN DONE BEFORE SO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE ACTUAL DETAILS AT REGISTRATION TOMORROW

Thank you. Seems I have to show up early to sign wavers too. Thanks for the info on last cast. Still debating, good luck to those of you going.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum