Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Kiowa

Posted By: mikelester121

Lake Kiowa - 02/16/18 09:19 PM

Does anyone know someone that has a boat out there? I'll be out there the first weekend of March and would love to rent a bass boat. You can't take a boat out there for a weekend because it has to be quarantined for like 2 weeks.

Please let me know. I would be very appreciative.

Mike
Posted By: jmo49

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 02:01 PM

Just curious, quarantine for what?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 02:08 PM

mussels, salvinia, other invasives.
Posted By: jmo49

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 02:13 PM

So if you live there you can put your boat in and out, but if you go somewhere else you are supposed to wait 2 weeks before putting your boat back in
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: jmo49
So if you live there you can put your boat in and out, but if you go somewhere else you are supposed to wait 2 weeks before putting your boat back in

yes, if your boat leaves the gates it gets quarantined when you bring it back.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 02:37 PM

That’s pretty much the rules... this time of year, it’s quarantined for a month, they are a little over protective there. They put a lock on the bow hook and the info is put in a book.

Hey Mike, weather permitting it may still be a tad cold there. I can probably get you on a boat once or twice.
Posted By: bush hog

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 02:58 PM

Just reading about this quarantine. How are they going to quarantine mother nature? She does more to spread invasive species that fishermen do. Sorry about the rant on your thread but locking up a persons boat is BS. Believe I'd have to pass on Kiowa.

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 03:10 PM

Common policy at private lakes and private lake communities.

Some significantly restrict horse power and have you keep the boat on site.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 05:13 PM

I looked at buying the "island" years ago. It was eventually auctioned off; the new owner built something new there.

I mentioned going up there to look at that property and someone referred to it as a "Republican enclave." Funny.

Private lakes should be able to make their own rules. Lakes are very nervous about projected expenses to eradicate invasive species. The same thing happened at Wheeler Branch in Glen Rose; you can't take a boat there, at all.

Say, maybe fish from a kayak! It's a small lake and if it is allowed, you'd have a great time.

Brad
Posted By: Zebco1961

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 05:17 PM

Back in the 70's used to go at night and dive for golf balls on Kiowa.

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/18/18 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Brad R

Say, maybe fish from a kayak! It's a small lake and if it is allowed, you'd have a great time.

Brad

Some quarantine kayaks also.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Lake Kiowa - 02/19/18 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: bush hog
Just reading about this quarantine. How are they going to quarantine mother nature? She does more to spread invasive species that fishermen do. Sorry about the rant on your thread but locking up a persons boat is BS. Believe I'd have to pass on Kiowa.

I can’t say as I agree more but they are so concerned about zebra muscles. Cant birds bring them in?
But yes since it’s a private community lake, they do as they please. Some of the boating rules there are rather funny too
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum