Texas Fishing Forum

New Mercury four strokes

Posted By: Allison1

New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 04:22 PM

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us//outboard-motors/Fourstroke-V6-Outboard-Motor

I posted this in the motor section but thought I'd put it here too since it would get more interest here.
The new 175/200/225 Mercury will be 3.4 liters and lighter than the 3 liter 2 strokes at 475 pounds.

I am considering putting one on my boat.

Posted By: Brent S

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 04:29 PM

Plans for a 250? Wonder if they will phase out the Verado or if it has a use somewhere.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 04:42 PM

Old school white.

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 04:43 PM

I've been hearing talk that the small Verado's may be going bye bye and the new line will be 250 through 400 hp.

That is all guessing but by guys who guessed pretty close on this newest addition. Mercury says this is just the first step.
Yamaha makes a 250 with a 3.3 liter so its possible.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 04:50 PM

Man I didnt think they could make an uglier motor than the G2 but Merc went ahead and did it. Good lord it's hideous
Posted By: fouzman

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: bassfshin24
Man I didnt think they could make an uglier motor than the G2 but Merc went ahead and did it. Good lord it's hideous

+1. Looks just like a G2.
Posted By: bassfshin24

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 05:02 PM

I feel like they could have had such a good opportunity to gain some ground in the 4 stroke market on the SHO but they did not do that. So disappointed with this
Posted By: 96speed

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 05:15 PM

Exactly what my first thoughts were. These new motors look like someone said "Let's make them different!" They succeeded. Must be designed by the same people that came up with the Pontiac Aztec.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 05:26 PM

They better hope it only looks like a G2. Have not heard good things about the G2. Me and a tour pro got to talking about motors and he said stay away from that Evinrude. Usually wait for a second generation of new motors so that they can get the bugs worked out. If you are in the market for a new motor you might want to give it a while to see the data on these things after being on the water. The Optimax wasn’t a great motor motor at first but look how that turned out once they got it right.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 05:34 PM

I got the impression they would release a 250 version of the new 4 stroke 150 pro xs they revealed today, I don't think these are really for the "bass boat market"
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 06:04 PM

They released the 150 Pro XS and the 250 will be right behind it.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 07:27 PM

I like the look personally. Also like the look of the Evinrude. Has an aggressive design to it.
Posted By: moto382

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 07:34 PM

They look bada$$!!! I’ll be looking to upgrade to a 175 soon....
Posted By: BThomas

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 07:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SAKS
They better hope it only looks like a G2. Have not heard good things about the G2. Me and a tour pro got to talking about motors and he said stay away from that Evinrude. Usually wait for a second generation of new motors so that they can get the bugs worked out. If you are in the market for a new motor you might want to give it a while to see the data on these things after being on the water. The Optimax wasn’t a great motor motor at first but look how that turned out once they got it right.

Everyone I have spoken with about the G2's love them. Yes, there was some hiccups early. I have spoke with fresh and saltwater guys. Some are saying they are the best engine they have ever had.

I can say this about Evinrude. Coming from a mercury to an 2013 ETEC. The ETEC is a "great" motor.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Insurance man
They released the 150 Pro XS and the 250 will be right behind it.
So these three will be sandwiched between the 115, 150 and 250?, kinda odd, not much continuity there.

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 08:26 PM

I feel like they could have had such a good opportunity to gain some ground in the 4 stroke market on the SHO but they did not do that. So disappointed with this

Cost and weight are the two biggies when paired to the SHO. Someone at the show said the Mercs also had great low end but we will see.
The SHO is about 22 grand for the 225 and the I don't know what the retail pricing is but someone at the Miami boat show said its going to come out with an introductory price of under 15 thousand for the DTS digital shift. They come in both digital and manual.

Posted By: Douglas J

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 09:04 PM

Originally Posted By: 96speed

Exactly what my first thoughts were. These new motors look like someone said "Let's make them different!" They succeeded. Must be designed by the same people that came up with the Pontiac Aztec.

OMG Pontiac Aztec

woot woot woot
roflmao roflmao roflmao roflmao
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/15/18 10:00 PM

Reminds me of this one.

Posted By: onfork

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/16/18 11:26 PM

are they going to be made in china like there 70 hp and below motors
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 02:09 AM

The white is kinda ugly color, however the shape of the cowling is cool. But, having said that, I bet it is also available in their black color as well.

Bet it turns out to be a great motor.
Posted By: Denny Crane

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 02:26 AM

You Tube it. Press release guy says they'r replacing the 175 200 225 Verados, also states they've spent like 2521 hours on the water so they know everything is worked out...

I wouldn't own anything 1st gen. learned that early in life.
https://scout.com/outdoors/bass-fishing/...-2018-115169056

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM5LymrRRpY

No 250 sorry boys...

d

Posted By: 1oldbassguy

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 03:51 AM

rumor has it that Andy Cohen , the host from Desperate Housewives selected the colors and style of this new motor

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 05:14 AM

'Nother just a rumor but new bigger block and new motor will be released soon. Maybe at the BMC.

Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 12:37 PM

How many years ago was this conversation?
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 01:24 PM

cool story bro.....

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 04:24 PM

Last week.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 04:51 PM

The 3.4L V-6 employs a large displacement, naturally aspirated powerhead and proven mid-section and drive-system designs. Additionally, the 3.4L V-6 outboards are exceptionally versatile, offering the option of mechanical or digital controls, hydraulic or power steering, and black or white cowls on FourStroke-branded products, as well as a variety of accent panel colors. This versatility makes the new V-6 an ideal engine for repower applications.

“These outboards set a new benchmark in the marine industry,” said Pfeifer. “They are the quietest, lightest, smoothest, quickest and most fuel-efficient engines we have produced in this range.”

The new FourStroke engine not only provides large displacement at 200hp, but is also exceptionally light weight at 475 pounds – the lightest weight in its class by more than 10 pounds. Lean and mean, the 3.4L V-6 FourStroke boasts Mercury’s best acceleration and 20 percent more torque than the closest four-cylinder competitor at cruise. Fuel efficiency is also unmatched – the new 3.4L V-6 FourStroke is calibrated to maximize fuel economy at cruise, yielding an advantage of up to a 15 percent compared to the closest four-cylinder competitor.

Naturally aspirated which means it is not supercharged like the Verado line. It comes in Black too. Maybe it will grow on me..... noidea
Posted By: T Bird

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 05:08 PM

Appears to be pretty much the same configuration as the Yamaha SHO. Wonder what the price and warranty coverage will be?
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 06:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Texan Til I Die
Old school white.

Sweeeet motor. What year is that?
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/17/18 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
Appears to be pretty much the same configuration as the Yamaha SHO. Wonder what the price and warranty coverage will be?

another post said standard is three years for the new motors
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 01:19 AM

I bet 250 is released at the classic
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 01:30 AM

Wonder when mercury stops making two strokes?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 03:16 AM

I’m thinking that there will be another version of this motor coming out, nothing in their current lineup looks anything like this concept motor does. All the other merc motors from the 4strokes to the new 150 pro xs look sharp.
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 05:25 AM

This is one of the ugliest things I’ve ever seen. The light weight is cool but oh my goodness..... who in the world released a motor that ugly. Like it’s actually bothering me and I usually could care less about stuff like this. Lol. Mercury first of all has always been black. The decal placement freaks me out. The shape in general is horrible. I mean oh my goodness.... I don’t care how good they are you’ll never see one on my boat.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 12:17 PM

It's all subjective but I think the SHO is the best looking outboard ever plus it may be the best overall. Love mine. thumb

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 01:06 PM

All these comments about looks cracks me up. Like that's going to get you there and back when it counts.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 01:24 PM

Well when isvvthe 250 coming out? Maybe duringbbthe classic?

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: tmd11111
All these comments about looks cracks me up. Like that's going to get you there and back when it counts.

Did you marry an ugly lady?
Posted By: TCK73

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

roflmao
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 06:21 PM

Hope this is not a view into the future of Mercury 4 strokes. 4 months old 150hp Mercury 4 stroke sticks a rod through the block. [img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._40319537565860[/img]

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 07:15 PM

There are going to be failures. Hopefully they will be isolated and not a trend.

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 07:32 PM

If I was comparing my wife to an outboard she’d be a Merc 2.5L Drag motor. Light, lean, high reving screamer

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 09:27 PM

If I was comparing my wife to an outboard she’d be a Merc 2.5L Drag motor. Light, lean, high reving screamer

cheers see looks matter, great response sir!
Posted By: T Bird

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 09:29 PM

A+ thumb

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 09:33 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
Hope this is not a view into the future of Mercury 4 strokes. 4 months old 150hp Mercury 4 stroke sticks a rod through the block. [img]http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/pics..._40319537565860[/img]

I read THT where the saltwater guys use these more than the freshwater guys. There are threads on this motor that are pages long that don't have one person who posts anything that bad. Most of the people who own the 150 four stroke say its problem free. Its only been out for 6 or 7 years but from what I've read its the best 150 out there.

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/18/18 09:40 PM

The new V6 is a completely different from the cowl to the gear case. Although anything mechanical can fail that 150 of yours is considered one of the most dependable 4 strokes ever made.

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/19/18 12:42 AM

Originally Posted By: T Bird

A+ thumb

A+++ is Right. thumb

Had one on a 1996 Allison 2002. They don't make em like that anymore. 200 psi compression running on 112 octane race fuel made 325 hp @ 9,000 rpms.

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/19/18 01:39 AM

Years ago a partner of mine had the same rig. With both of us and tackle that thing ran high 90’s, Empty low 100’s. He had some cut heads and with VP112 it ran high 10’s in the 1/4 mile.

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/19/18 02:21 AM

Years ago a partner of mine had the same rig. With both of us and tackle that thing ran high 90’s, Empty low 100’s. He had some cut heads and with VP112 it ran high 10’s in the 1/4 mile.

Yessir. I am familiar with those numbers.
Posted By: Basscat496

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/19/18 10:11 AM

Posted By: onfork

Re: New Mercury four strokes - 02/28/18 11:14 PM

I see it has a timing chain instead of a belt,could it be from Suzuki or a copy?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum