Texas Fishing Forum

Merc Verado

Posted By: B-Deuces

Merc Verado - 02/14/18 07:33 PM

anyone hear anything about these motors or have first hand experience with them?
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Merc Verado - 02/14/18 07:47 PM

Great engines, smooth & quiet, awesome power steering system built-in, just very heavy. 670# for a 250 vs. 505 for a ProXS 250 or Yam SHO 250.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Merc Verado - 02/14/18 08:21 PM

Could probably get some good info from the saltwater guys. They have been using them for a while now I think. I didn't realize how heavy they were though.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Merc Verado - 02/14/18 08:41 PM

I think Mercury is about to drop the new 4 stroke pro xs in sizes up to 225 or 250 at the miami boat show, they already have a 115 out.
Posted By: Tex20

Re: Merc Verado - 02/14/18 08:47 PM

I made the switch to a verado going on two years ago. I was a little iffy at first since I loved the Merc 2 stroke. However, I’m glad I did. Really a great engine. It’s super quiet and really strong.
Posted By: PettyBigBass

Re: Merc Verado - 02/15/18 01:10 AM

I have a verado 250. 2007 model I believe. I bought it just out of the 5 yr warranty and during the winter. It blew the power head to to a sticking water regulating valve that caused the engine to run too cold and condense the gas to liquid, the liquid filled the crank case with gas diluting the oil. Merc honored the warranty two months out of the warranty period. I really like the engine and the way it runs but they are highly technical. I recently spent $3k replacing parts that were not bad. The same marine said the computer was bad which was another $7k. I took it to North Texas Marine, the guys that changed the power head and they cleaned up some power wiring terminals and fixed the issue for a few hundred bucks.

The down side is the high parts pricing and finding a good tech to work on it. I guess luck should fall into the decision somewhere. I've yet to own a motor that didn't blow up, merc, Johnson and Econ rude. Going to a jap Yamaha next. Maybe it's just me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum