Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter New

Posted By: 10lberfork

Skeeter New - 02/13/18 02:56 AM

pluses and cons of buying a brand new skeeter zx 250 off the floor so many people are telling me horror stories about the ride in these boats, that they chime walk on ya and some says skeeters been known to split in half on the top cap when bouncing on big waves hard to believe
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: 10lberfork
pluses and cons of buying a brand new skeeter zx 250 off the floor so many people are telling me horror stories about the ride in these boats, that they chime walk on ya and some says skeeters been known to split in half on the top cap when bouncing on big waves hard to believe

If that were true, they would never sell so many boats.
Posted By: J-2

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 02:58 AM

This should get interesting quick
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 02:59 AM

If someone says a Skeeter chime walks they’ve never driven one. I’ve had multiple and just bought a 2018 zx250 and love it as much as my other skeeters. Best part is the new Skeeter trailers.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:04 AM

are these people high?
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:06 AM

Who is telling u they chime walk??? They are known to chine walk the least out of any boat. I have sevedal friends that have a skeeter including myself and none have had any major problems

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
If someone says a Skeeter chime walks they’ve never driven one. I’ve had multiple and just bought a 2018 zx250 and love it as much as my other skeeters. Best part is the new Skeeter trailers.

so the trailers have really upgraded

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Who is telling u they chime walk??? They are known to chine walk the least out of any boat. I have sevedal friends that have a skeeter including myself and none have had any major problems
so you now own a phoenix over a skeeter

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:16 AM

[quote=Clark3]If someone says a Skeeter chime walks they’ve never driven one. I’ve had multiple and just bought a 2018 zx250 and love it as much as my other skeeters. Best part is the new Skeeter trailers.

so the trailers have really upgraded [/quote/]
Yes they make their own trailers now and probly the best trailer I’ve ever seen.

The boat has a lifetime structural warrany to alleviate any concerns. Would be tough to be in business almost 50 years if they had issues. 3 year component warranty and I️ got 5 year warranty on the motor
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:17 AM

The 2018 zx250 is a beast. Bought one a couple weeks ago. I've been in every boat. It's a bad mfer trust me

Posted By: angleiron

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:17 AM

Skeeters aren't fast enough to chine walk.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:23 AM

Originally Posted By: Jersey Dan
The 2018 zx250 is a beast. Bought one a couple weeks ago. I've been in every boat. It's a beast.

thanks this is good to know i am on the fence.
1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:33 AM

The 2018 zx250 is a beast. Bought one a couple weeks ago. I've been in every boat. It's a beast.

1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20

On your list, I'd give the 721 the nod on speed with the bug outrunning the legend by a hair.
721 has a narrow deck compared to the other 2.
For all around work horse, I would go with the bug. But that's just me.
Have no fear, the V20 guys will be along shortly to dispute this.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:37 AM

1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20

I had 1046 hours on my legend. It was truly a great boat. But the reality is you can't get parts anymore from legend. Those are facts. If that isn't the writing on the wall, I don't know what to tell you. When the V20 was released I wanted that boat more than anyone, you are crazy if you are going to invest 80k right now in Legend. Pull this post back up in 5 years and prove me wrong. Phoenix is the new legend. Good luck... Ranger and Skeeter aren't going anywhere and neither is the resale value.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:42 AM

if you want to drive a boat that is a handful come drive my triton --its a great boat but it is a handful !
you can drive a skeeter zx 250 with your knee while you drink a open cup of coffee and eat 2 donuts !
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:46 AM

1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20

Legend v20 for the win! You should go look at them and test drive one if you haven’t already... but I doubt you have since your still debating on the others... come to Lake Fork and you can test drive my v21... best boat I’ve ever had
Posted By: kevine80

Originally Posted By: kevine80
if you want to drive a boat that is a handful come drive my triton --its a great boat but it is a handful !
you can drive a skeeter zx 250 with your knee while you drink a open cup of coffee and eat 2 donuts !

although triton would probably outrun it

Hahhahaha now that is a good sales pitch..

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20

Legend v20 for the win! You should go look at them and test drive one if you haven’t already... but I doubt you have since your still debating on the others... come to Lake Fork and you can test drive my v21... best boat I’ve ever had
Very nice looking rig i have a place on fork i may just have to look you up test that v21

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:51 AM

The 2018 zx250 is a beast. Bought one a couple weeks ago. I've been in every boat. It's a bad mfer trust me

Yes and price right now out the door is awesome very nice looking boat Jersey

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:51 AM

TFF 2020 Post. "Where to find parts for a Legend"

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:52 AM

It's actually not man. Add another $10k for Blades, Graphs, ultrex, batteries etc... You are around 75-77 the 65k advertise is not a fishable boat.
Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Fork-LegendV21

1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20

Very nice looking rig i have a place on fork i may just have to look you up test that v21

Thanks sir... PM me anytime and I’ll take you out in the Legend
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:57 AM

Coming from a guy that has never owned a Skeeter only fished out of several... I have to say Skeeter has one of the best fishing platforms of all boats
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:57 AM

1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20

I had 1046 hours on my legend. It was truly a great boat. But the reality is you can't get parts anymore from legend. Those are facts. If that isn't the writing on the wall, I don't know what to tell you. When the V20 was released I wanted that boat more than anyone, you are crazy if you are going to invest 80k right now in Legend. Pull this post back up in 5 years and prove me wrong. Phoenix is the new legend. Good luck... Ranger and Skeeter aren't going anywhere and neither is the resale value.

What parts are you talking about?

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 04:08 AM

Originally Posted By: David Rush

1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20

What parts are you talking about?

About a dozen misc items ranging from the spare tire holder hardware to storage box components, to the floor drain, etc... The message from Legend straight up was we don't carry parts anymore, have a nice day pretty much. The customer service went from A level to D over the past couple of years. Those are facts.
You are playing with fire buying a new V20/V21 right now. Beautiful boat but how much longer will they be around for? To my knowledge the only boat they even build anymore in the "Triton plant" is the V.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: angleiron

My z250 hits 74 with the SHO250.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 11:36 AM

You must not have bought yours from fun n sun. Price they gave me was with an Ultrex, dual poles, batteries and ready to go no where near the price you just listed.
Posted By: BriannShell

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 12:05 PM

People telling you the Skeeter chine walks apparently don't know what that means! I owned a Triton that would outrun the Skeeter I own now but it would get real slippery underneath you....My Skeeter is incredibly stable and I couldn't ask for a better boat!

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 12:13 PM

You must not have bought yours from fun n sun. Price they gave me was with an Ultrex, dual poles, batteries and ready to go no where near the price you just listed.

Blades and hds12's?
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 12:32 PM

Dang jersey let the 199 go.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 12:44 PM

I have a video driving 75 in my 21i with one hand on wheel, one on camera. very stable platform. my top speed is only 76.3 on GPS. I was hoping to hit 79 but would need more ponies. Only Skeeter I have ever had chine walk was my old Skeeter Starfire 150 with a Merc BlackMax 175 with some motorwork done to it. It would kick sideways when you let off it from top speed. had to drive it with both hands on the wheel.
Posted By: markson

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 01:11 PM

My 2016 Skeeter ZX200 starts walking a little at top end when I am almost out of gas, this is how I know it is time to fill up because my gas gauge sucks (shows half a tank one minute and then empty the next). But otherwise it is extremely stable up to top speed of 70 mph.
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 01:34 PM

Yeah jersey Dan welcome to the bug club
Posted By: tsubrett

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 01:52 PM

Coming from a Triton, my FX 21 is way more stable. This skeeter is literally the first and only boat that I have gone 74mph and taken both hands off the steering wheel to show my wife. Try that in a triton and you may not make it across the lake. Any 21ft boat that can hit low to mid 70's (with 2 people, full tanks of fuel, and dual talons), I consider fast enough to chime walk if it was going to. I have nothing bad to say about legend that's for sure. Buddy has one and its pretty sweet.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 02:17 PM

Sweeeet, jersey! Can we see a side view of the whole boat?

10lber.......if they're telling you the ZX250 chinewalks, please defriend him. He's losing his mind and before long he will set you up to take your girl.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 02:23 PM

I've had an FX20 and now have a 16 FX21.

Absolutely no chine walk...they don't go fast enough to walk which is fine with me.

Love the SHO

The ride is nothing short of fantastic...anybody complaining about a boat bouncing really doesn't know how to drive a boat.

That said - I would never by a Skeeter again - not built near as well in most aspects as my previous Bass Cat.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 02:43 PM

Have a 2003 Skeeer Zx200. Does it bounce? Yes, until you learn how to trim it. Does it walk? No, never. Is it a great, stable fishing platform? Don't know how it could be any better.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:18 PM

ZX250 with a 300 Yamaha and no chine walk. Top speed is right around 80 with two guys and all gear. In my opinion, the Skeeters are more sensitive to trim adjustments. I like this because they are super easy to drive.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:18 PM

1 Skeeter zx 250
2 phoenix 721 pro
3 Legend v20

Skeeters will not chine walk on you. But I would not buy another ZX model after being in a FX. Plus I think Skeeters engineers and design department should all be fired after the '18 ZX boats. I still love Skeeters but they are always a year behind the times in design.
But comparing the boats above....I'd personally go with the Phoenix 721. That boat will fly, and I think you will like the lay out a lot better. Ive been in all the Skeeter, but once I drove the Phoenix and spent some time in it, it was a no-brainer for me.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:27 PM

Phoenix must really be the shiznit....never rode in one and I'm looking forward to the day that I do. That boat is gaining market share by the minute! thumb
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:28 PM

We have Stinkey, Choke the Poke, and BassCatProStaffSkeeterRonnie all now posting on this thread.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
We have Stinkey, Choke the Poke, and BassCatProStaffSkeeterRonnie all now posting on this thread.

An now Red Rocket, Doggy lipstick, I mean Red Ranger! roflmao

Whats up Jack???? How have you been bud?
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:31 PM

Originally Posted By: criglizard
ZX250 with a 300 Yamaha and no chine walk. Top speed is right around 80 with two guys and all gear. In my opinion, the Skeeters are more sensitive to trim adjustments. I like this because they are super easy to drive.

How in the heck are you getting 80 with two people and gear? My dads 08 ZX250 with 300hpdi will only get 74 with two people. I've tried everything setup wise. Best I've gotten solo was 76.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

An now Red Rocket, Doggy lipstick, I mean Red Ranger! roflmao

Whats up Jack???? How have you been bud?

Good, I have been following you on FB

Congrats

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 03:49 PM

Thanks bud!
Posted By: criglizard

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 04:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
Originally Posted By: criglizard

How in the heck are you getting 80 with two people and gear? My dads 08 ZX250 with 300hpdi will only get 74 with two people. I've tried everything setup wise. Best I've gotten solo was 76.

Not an expert so I can't say for sure but that was the MPH on the GPS unit. Done this multiple times. Totally stock with no adjustments and I don't have a hydraulic jack plate either. Mine is an 05 so not sure if there is a big difference there. Otherwise, this was done in ideal conditions, two guys around 175lbs/ea, no Talons at the time, slight chop on the water to get us up a little more, etc. That being said, I usually don't go over 60-65.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 04:11 PM

Skeeter's are arguably the easiest boats to drive on the market. You could eat a bowl of cereal and drive with your knees. I've never heard of anyone having chine walk problems, nor have I heard about the top cap separating. If your skeeter is chine walking then you have a serious setup issue. Even that's tough to do in a Skeeter though. And if the top cap splits then you should not own a boat because you're clearly too rough on it. The ride is better than some but not the greatest in the world. The FX has a better ride than the ZX.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 10:20 PM

so you now own a phoenix over a skeeter

Had a skeeter sold it... went to a phoenix had tons of problems sold it now back in a skeeter and couldn't be happier
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 10:26 PM

Never ridden in a 210 or a 206 Champion but my FX21 puts my old 203 Champion to shame!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 10:35 PM

Spend a little more and get an FX20. Or buy a pre-owned one that's bugged out with reasonably low hours.

All that other bs about Skeeter quality and chine walking is nonsense.

I used to buy a pro's Skeeter every other year. It typically had about 140-160 hours on it and was more than $20k less than one off the floor. My last boat was an FX21 I ordered thru Fun-n-Sun. Seamless transaction and a brand new boat (my first)! But I ate the depreciation when I sold it after a couple years. You can typically buy a good pro's boat that is 8-10 months old with full warranty, run it for 18-24 months, and sell it for very near what you paid for it.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 10:37 PM

I wouldnt Listen to anyone who says “this boat is trash Skeeter sucks, triton sucks, ect. That person is bringing emotion into a debate they know nothing about. Kind of like telling a redneck nascar sucks and Toyota is better than Chevy. Skeeters are amazing boats, fish awesome, and just like any boat will run into a problem here and there. They’re assembled by humans. Same with any large manufacturer. Some people will never have an issue with their boat. Some will. Some is because the person doesn’t take care of their boat, some is poor workmanship. Part of it.

What I like About Skeeter is the way they handle their business. They’ll take care of the issues if they have them. And if you have something major you have a lifetime structural warranty and they manufacture them about 2.5 hours away.

On a side note I heard fun n sun sold about 120 boats last year, and only one has been back to the factory for major repairs and it was a Phoenix.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 10:39 PM

If you want to drive your Skeeter with "no hands" get the FX hull LOL I love my '16 fx21 just hate the new deck lay out after that year.

I've ridden in the Phoenix 721 and I would pass on it and get the 920 or 921 apparently they are great rough water rides. only issuse I have heard about them are that you have to learn have to drive them.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 10:56 PM

One other note. When I say "good" pro's boat, I would never buy a boat from the pros who fish everything they can. Too many hours and too much wear and tear. There are at least four Texas Skeeter pros in the Elite Series that fish 8 tournaments/year + a few charity deals. Those boats are a great value. Don't let me discourage you from buying a spanking new boat, though. If you can afford the depreciation, it's a wonderful thing!
Posted By: T 4 FISH

Re: Skeeter New - 02/13/18 10:58 PM

Ford or Chevy??? I love my 2016 FX21
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 01:18 AM

It's actually not man. Add another $10k for Blades, Graphs, ultrex, batteries etc... You are around 75-77 the 65k advertise is not a fishable boat.

I thought the ZX 250 was somewhere around 55k? I understand you put 10K in extras to make it 65k, you seem to be 10k high on your numbers? Am I missing something?
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 01:24 AM

Let’s see pics of the whole boat, looks nice!

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 05:25 AM

I wouldnt Listen to anyone who says “this boat is trash Skeeter sucks, triton sucks, ect. That person is bringing emotion into a debate they know nothing about. Kind of like telling a redneck nascar sucks and Toyota is better than Chevy. Skeeters are amazing boats, fish awesome, and just like any boat will run into a problem here and there. They’re assembled by humans. Same with any large manufacturer. Some people will never have an issue with their boat. Some will. Some is because the person doesn’t take care of their boat, some is poor workmanship. Part of it.

What I like About Skeeter is the way they handle their business. They’ll take care of the issues if they have them. And if you have something major you have a lifetime structural warranty and they manufacture them about 2.5 hours away.

On a side note I heard fun n sun sold about 120 boats last year, and only one has been back to the factory for major repairs and it was a Phoenix.

That would have been my phoenix
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 05:27 AM

What was wrong with it?

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 05:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

What was wrong with it?

I had a list but deleted it. But off The top of my head The boat was stress cracking bad. Everytime i would go to the lake a new one would pop up and get bigger. Stickers wouldnt stay on, moisture would get into the gauges. Ignition would always come loose where u turn the key. The boat chine walked really bad at anything over 70 mph. Also someone at the factory left a open spit bottle in the middle console that spilled everywhere. I wasent impressed with the way they fixed the cracks at the factory. Also some idiot at mercury or fun n sun stripped the oil reservoir lid and it blew oil everywhere inside the motor. Basically the boat was in and out of the shop for a year. I took a $10,000 hit to get back into a skeeter. Phoenix was a beautiful boat with some great features but I got a bad one. Fun n sun and phoenix did have good customer service
Posted By: Fooshman

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 05:54 AM

Originally Posted By: Fooshman

What was wrong with it?

I had a list but deleted it. But off The top of my head The boat was stress cracking bad. Everytime i would go to the lake a new one would pop up and get bigger. Stickers wouldnt stay on, moisture would get into the gauges. Ignition would always come loose where u turn the key. The boat chine walked really bad at anything over 70 mph. Also someone at the factory left a open spit bottle in the middle console that spilled everywhere. I wasent impressed with the way they fixed the cracks at the factory. Also some idiot at mercury or fun n sun stripped the oil reservoir lid and it blew oil everywhere inside the motor. Basically the boat was in and out of the shop for a year. I took a $10,000 hit to get back into a skeeter. Phoenix was a beautiful boat with some great features but I got a bad one. Fun n sun and phoenix did have good customer service

Wow. That sucks. I would have been pissed.

You going to change your name? laugh

Posted By: SC-001

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 02:10 PM

Phoenix is the new legend.

I would say a more likely comparison is phoenix is the new stratos, I would say the only one similiar to legends custom boat building would be basscat but they are still very different animals.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 02:14 PM

I don’t think I’d go that far on comparing Phoenix to either one of those boats. I’ve had mine for a year with not one issue. I had way more problems out of my Skeeters.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 02:22 PM

But with that being said. You have to understand that every boat manufacturer every now and then let’s one leave factory that prolly shouldn’t have. It happens from time to time.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 02:26 PM

Notice any similiarities...

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 03:26 PM

Im comparing boats, not logos! I don't buy boats because of a sticker!
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 05:53 PM

Originally Posted By: angleiron

My z250 hits 74 with the SHO250.

That pretty good for a big azz bug boat.. Nice rig Dan congrats bud.. thumb
You fishing out East much ?

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 08:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
Im comparing boats, not logos! I don't buy boats because of a sticker!

Your phoenix stickers fall off yet?

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 08:15 PM

Not at all.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Skeeter New - 02/14/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

Yep

https://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_123/phoenix_boats_07.html
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Skeeter New - 02/15/18 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

Lol. I never cared enough to see who was behind on Phoenix but dam my guess woulda been close. sick
Posted By: Notaguide

Re: Skeeter New - 02/15/18 12:34 AM

Does this mean Lexus IS making the Vexus?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Skeeter New - 02/15/18 02:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Notaguide
yeh....and it's gonna come standard with boat lane assist.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Skeeter New - 02/15/18 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: Notaguide
yeh....and it's gonna come standard with boat lane assist.

LMAO! That one finally made me post again on a boat lane comment!! Suppose it auto detects lane marker bouys and auto stows the troll motor if down or increases rpm to no lower than 4000 rpm if on plane?
Posted By: Bigg Un

Re: Skeeter New - 02/15/18 12:51 PM

I have never owned anything else...I have had four over the last 30 yrs or so...started fishing out of a Hawk...currently have a 21i..all have been great boats...if you need to go fast...this isn't the one...like fishing from a great platform then a Skeeter is one of the best...
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Skeeter New - 02/16/18 03:47 PM

Wow you got absolutely hosed if you paid that for your ZX250. I have the same boat with full rigging including AGM batteries, Ultrex, yamaha NMEA engine interface, Point-1 GPS, custom cover, HDS 12s mounted on precision sonar mounts and extended warranty on the motor for 6 years from Yamaha and paid nowhere close to even your low end number. I just pulled up my purchase order that I walked out the door with to verify. Your numbers are well over $10,000 too high.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Skeeter New - 02/16/18 04:07 PM

Not a fishable boat. Lol

Re: Skeeter New - 02/16/18 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Dubee

Not a fishable boat. Lol

I was Laughing st the same thing
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum