Texas Fishing Forum

Dobyn's Rod's Question

Posted By: Mike Keenan

Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 03:31 AM

Has the quality of Dobyn's rods gotten worse over the years? I have busted two 734C's in the last 6 months on hooksets.... Both rods in the same place. Mind you I don't have a gorilla type of hookset but I am fishing 3/8 ounce jigs on 15 pound fluorocarbon. I broke my second one today on the Vine on maybe an over.

Do I need to step up to a 744C to get better quality or quit using Dobyn's rods all togethor? Mind you I am not bashing Dobyn's rods, because I love my 805CB RM and 705CB.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 03:34 AM

I have broken 6 Dobyn's to date and have two of the rods sitting on my desk trying to decide if I want to waste the money to get them replaced. If I do I will probably get another flipping stick or something really heavy. Their medium and medium-heavy actions are too damn fragile for me.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 03:40 AM

You have to match the action to your presentation.. the 5 and newer 6 power rods are amazing.. you won't break those, the super fast action is able to throw a wacky rig.. Not trying to defend the rods, you're entitled to your opinions.

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 03:52 AM

So step up to something like the 735 or 736?

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
So step up to something like the 735 or 736?

The 735 is the bomb...
I've been using the Fury series more as well... swim baits rods are great for the price
Good luck on your choice Mike..

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 04:19 AM

I’m just open to suggestions for a light Texas rig / light jig rod. I admit my advice isn’t always the best I’m open to other’s experiences.

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 04:35 AM

PM me Mike if I can help, be happy to.
Posted By: Slefler

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 04:47 AM

I go heavier with my Dobyns selection, I use a 733 for mainly spinnerbaits then when I throw a tax rig or light jig I bump up to a 744. I’ve used them exclusively for 1-2 now and I haven’t broken one yet, knock on wood or had any other kind of problem. If you have any questions I wouldn’t hesitate to send RedSkeeter a PM. Billy knows his stuff

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 05:41 AM

Thanks for the help
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 10:46 AM

I am not a fan of Korean made rods
Posted By: RCxpress

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 10:48 AM

I was in the same predicament after repeatedly breaking rods 10-12 years ago while using another quality rod manufacturer. After one broke costing me a big fish in a tournament I started making the switch to loomis. I started buying IMX and have upgraded almost all my jig/worm rods to at least this series over the years. No regrets I have broken one since making the switch and it broke between the reel seat and butt of the rod. I still landed the fish. When talking “ best ” rods loomis is always in the coversation and others companies make some great rods, but notice which rods hold their resale value. Get ready to spend some money if you decide to switch to loomis, but you can find some really great deals on demo rods and used here on the forum if you are patient and know exactly which models you are shopping for.
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 12:46 PM

Mike, I have a bunch of Dobyns Champion and Extreme rods, 15 or so. I have used them exclusively for several (many) years now. I broke one and they replaced it.
This was about 3 years ago. Only problem I have had with them. I do not have any of their latest editions of Extreme or Champion rods however.

If you are throwing 3/8 and 1/2 oz jigs I suggest trying the 784 Mike Long jig rod. It has elevated my jig game, the long rod really helps getting a good hookset.
It is light, balanced and sensitive. I spoke with Gary Dobyns about the 784 at one of the Classics when it had just come out. He seemed somewhat surprised that such a long rod
was in demand. I also use it for pitching, mag flukes, carolina rigs, etc.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 12:48 PM

Most of my rods are Dobyns rods but for pitching a 3/8 jig and a 3/8 oz. Tx.rigged craw, I like Power Tackle rods. I haven't broken any of the Dobyns rods that I have.

I use a Champion 705 for my frog rod and really like it for that. I have three 784 Extremes that I love for fishing a C-rig or spoon. Many people have commented that they like it for throwing a football head jig. I have two 745 Extremes, and a 744 Extreme that I use for football head and swing head jigs. Either the 744 or the 745 Extreme is what I would suggest you go to if you stay with the Dobyns brand.

I only have 1 HP model and it is a 702. All of my other Dobyns rods are the older models.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 03:08 PM

Actually I have several 734's in the Champion series and have been using them for years. They are the perfect weight for small to medium Texas rigged plastics and jigs. Not really the best for big jigs and plastics or close in thick cover flipping but perfect for everything else in my opinion. Very light and sensitive and just real comfortable for casting T Riggs or jigs all day. Never broke a rod either. Have lost an eye once or twice though. The 734 is about the perfect "do everything" rod in my opinion.
Posted By: Old Man Skeeter

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 03:30 PM

I see that Dobyns is building a warehouse in Sulphur Springs.
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Actually I have several 734's in the Champion series and have been using them for years. They are the perfect weight for small to medium Texas rigged plastics and jigs. Not really the best for big jigs and plastics or close in thick cover flipping but perfect for everything else in my opinion. Very light and sensitive and just real comfortable for casting T Riggs or jigs all day. Never broke a rod either. Have lost an eye once or twice though. The 734 is about the perfect "do everything" rod in my opinion.

I agree. The 734 is also great for spinnerbaits, chatterbaits, lipless cranks, buzzbaits, etc.
Posted By: JDJ01

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 06:34 PM

another post to the favor of Dobyns. I use them just about exclusively at this point. I will say as most will agree... their power seems to be about a scale or 2 off. if you want a medium heavy for example, you are best served getting the 5 power in the dobyns line ups. Everyone will have an opinion on their rod choice and mine is that Dobyns Rods quality is up there with the best in regards to a mass produced offering.
Posted By: thirtysixit

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 06:49 PM

Falcon Cara Pro Grass...... Its a mule. Give em a look
Posted By: stringwise

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 08:16 PM

I took a 704CB Glass Champion series with me to Canada and pounded over 150 pike between 8-20 lbs. Caught them all on a 1.5 KVD square bill. Caught 25 bass over 5 on it in 2017 and countless others. That rod has taken so much abuse between tournaments and daily use I couldn't ask for a better purchase. That's one of 15 champion series I have and while that one wins the award for pounds caught I have beaten the hell out of the rest of them and they are all going strong.

It would be interesting to know how you broke yours as I can't imagine being harder on a rod than I have been on mine.
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 08:22 PM

TX is a much more business friendly place vs the west coast!

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 08:37 PM

I have broken 2 reeling in redfish. People keep telling me that Dobyns aren't made for redfishing, but I have used countless other brands and haven't broken any of them yet. I broke 2 setting the hook on largemouths and 2 more while boat flipping largemouths. I also know of 3 other Dobyn's rods broken by people that I know. I don't abuse my rods outside of normal fishing, and the only other rod I have broken was a Shimano Crucial and they used to be real bad about breaking.
Posted By: npl_texas

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 08:51 PM

Does anyone know when the new "enthusiast" rods are going to be coming out? Any details?
Posted By: BaylorBass

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/10/18 10:09 PM

I've got pretty much a full rod locker of Dobyns and haven't had any issues except a couple broken guide inserts in the tip top. I also try to break the rod when I set the hook! Their customer service is top notch and has always sent me replacement guides no problem. I'm sure they would be just as easy to work with for a broken rod.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I have broken 2 reeling in redfish. People keep telling me that Dobyns aren't made for redfishing, but I have used countless other brands and haven't broken any of them yet. I broke 2 setting the hook on largemouths and 2 more while boat flipping largemouths. I also know of 3 other Dobyn's rods broken by people that I know. I don't abuse my rods outside of normal fishing, and the only other rod I have broken was a Shimano Crucial and they used to be real bad about breaking.

We all have stories and different thoughts on products we buy.

I took a red fishing trip last August with my 743 Extreme and caught about 40 reds between 20 -35 pounds on that rod. I had one red that was 32 pounds that came straight at the boat and got around the trolling motor shaft. The red had just about played out so the guide raised the trolling motor so I could get the line from around the shaft and as he did the big red made a long run. He pull so quick with me, he jerked the rod around the shaft and the rod made a full round and a half around the shaft before I could hit the button to let line out. The fish slow after a bit and I got the rod out from around the shaft and tighten back up on the red and got him in the boat. I caught another 20 reds before we left on that same rod. The guide who had been guiding for red fish for over 17 years changed his brand of rods to Dobyns after seeing that.

Dobyns will stand up to red fishing. I have fish a few years in a row with same rods and no problem.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 12:26 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Better use a cane pole. Every rod manufacturer gets their blanks over seas. Some assmemble them here but all blanks are foreign
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Old Man Skeeter
I see that Dobyns is building a warehouse in Sulphur Springs.

Yep he is moving from California to Texas.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 01:52 AM

that means they will be about 12 miles from me roflmao they are gonna get tired of me bugging them! maybe I can get a job sweeping floors for them roflmao roflmao

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 02:08 AM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
Originally Posted By: Txmedic033

We all have stories and different thoughts on products we buy.

I took a red fishing trip last August with my 743 Extreme and caught about 40 reds between 20 -35 pounds on that rod. I had one red that was 32 pounds that came straight at the boat and got around the trolling motor shaft. The red had just about played out so the guide raised the trolling motor so I could get the line from around the shaft and as he did the big red made a long run. He pull so quick with me, he jerked the rod around the shaft and the rod made a full round and a half around the shaft before I could hit the button to let line out. The fish slow after a bit and I got the rod out from around the shaft and tighten back up on the red and got him in the boat. I caught another 20 reds before we left on that same rod. The guide who had been guiding for red fish for over 17 years changed his brand of rods to Dobyns after seeing that.

Dobyns will stand up to red fishing. I have fish a few years in a row with same rods and no problem.

I guess I should have paid another $100 per rod because all of mine that broke were Champion and not Champion extreme.
Posted By: Amberlamps

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 02:10 AM

Have a whole rod locker full of dobyns and have fished them hard for a long time. Only broken 1 rod and it was a dx744 that exploded when i set the hook on an a rock.

Agree with other posters that they are about 1 power on the light side.
Posted By: ChampionOwner

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Better use a cane pole. Every rod manufacturer gets their blanks over seas. Some assmemble them here but all blanks are foreign

Nope, not every rod manufacturer. Do a little more research. There are some great blanks made in America.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 02:47 AM

I have at least a dozen Dobyns rods, all of them are Champions or DX rods. Have never broken one or had any issues with them. I think they build the best cranking rod on the market.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 03:20 AM

I backed away from helping them on staff early last year because I just wasn't doing anything for them anymore, someone else deserved the spot more than me. With that said, I just bought a cranking rod for full price a few months ago. hard to beat that old 805CBRM! I love it for throwing cranks and especially big traps in the grass! I have a few Fury's and they have been work horses for me. I use the Fury704 for flipping a jig under docks. It's held it's own on both fish and dock pole hook sets roflmao
Posted By: june-bug

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 04:02 PM

My teenage son saved up his money and bought a champion extreme. He was so proud of that rod couldn't wait to use. First hook set was on about a 2 pound large mouth dragging a c-rig and the rod snapped in half. That's my only experience with Dobyns but that's all I needed to see.
Posted By: Mitch Rapp

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/11/18 05:32 PM

I've broken several of the champion series 734c and 735c one snapped on a cast of a 10" worm rigged texas style.....the other one the hook set on a jig in about a 4 pound fish.......I'm not buying any more of them.....and I have about 15 of them right now....
Posted By: fisherinok

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/12/18 04:07 PM

I suggest going forward looking at the 744 if you mainly fish 3/8 and the 735 for 1/2oz. Both rods can overlap to the other weights as well. The 744 is specifically a jig rod and does not as much tip as the 734.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/12/18 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: fisherinok
I suggest going forward looking at the 744 if you mainly fish 3/8 and the 735 for 1/2oz. Both rods can overlap to the other weights as well. The 744 is specifically a jig rod and does not as much tip as the 734.

+1

I have the 744 (perfect for 3/8) and 735 (perfect for 1/2 oz). Love them both.
Posted By: JDV

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/12/18 05:11 PM

Funny how people differ. I enjoy the fight on a lighter rod and their 734 feels like a goddamn broomstick to me in comparison, but all I hear is about how light all of their rods run. I've got 5 or 6 Dobyns rods, and have only broken a 705cb, but not while fishing it.
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/12/18 05:29 PM

Originally Posted By: JDV
Funny how people differ. I enjoy the fight on a lighter rod and their 734 feels like a goddamn broomstick to me in comparison, but all I hear is about how light all of their rods run. I've got 5 or 6 Dobyns rods, and have only broken a 705cb, but not while fishing it.

It feels stiff until I put a jig on it and the tip does it’s magic. It’s a really good rod and a great c-rig back up.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Dobyn's Rod's Question - 02/12/18 05:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Mitch Rapp
I've broken several of the champion series 734c and 735c one snapped on a cast of a 10" worm rigged texas style.....the other one the hook set on a jig in about a 4 pound fish.......I'm not buying any more of them.....and I have about 15 of them right now....

You have any 765 Flips in Champ or Extreme you want to sell?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum