Texas Fishing Forum

Spilled Spike-It

Posted By: Minner Bucket

Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 02:58 PM

Like a dumb arse yesterday, I knocked over a full bottle of chartreuse spike-it in my boat. It got on the white gel coat and carpet. Is there a magic way of getting this stuff off, or just time and lots of sun?
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 03:01 PM

I know I'm gonna sound crazy but I bet acetone will take if off of the gel coat. Just be sure to rinse it off afterwards and you'll be fine. As for the carpet, try scrubbing it with a brush and a mixture of vinegar and water. That should do the trick.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 03:03 PM

It'll fade eventually.might leave a dark mark on the carpet after it disappears
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 03:32 PM

Spray-on sunscreeen will help on the gel coat. soap and water on the carpet and a little bit of time.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 03:33 PM

Sunshine and time
Posted By: Neches

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 03:37 PM

Meguires scratch remover will get it off the white gell coat. I spilled it on mine a few weeks ago
Posted By: FlatBack4

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 03:37 PM

Or, you could call the manufacturer and find out what they recommend.
Posted By: javelin150

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 03:48 PM

For the carpet

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spike-it-dye-neutralizer
Posted By: johnathonmharding

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 04:22 PM

My buddys dad was fishing i think honey hole circut back in the day and had it splash in his face, and weigh in was televised he had it all over his face for the camera lol
Posted By: Drodge

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 04:23 PM

It will come off of the gel coat in a good day in the sun.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 04:45 PM

Spike-It makes a neutralizer to remove it. It will be in the same section as the dye.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/spike-it-dye-neutralizer
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: johnathonmharding
My buddys dad was fishing i think honey hole circut back in the day and had it splash in his face, and weigh in was televised he had it all over his face for the camera lol

OMG, that is too funny! nuts

They probably thought he had some sort of rare skin disease.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Sunshine and time

just a tip, bye a spike it marker for the boat(2 color options per marker). keep the jar at home to refill the marker.

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 05:12 PM

Thanks for the info.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 07:33 PM

I was told the Mr. Clean magic eraser works on gelcoat.
Posted By: hoodat92

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 07:59 PM

I can tell you from first hand experience, you don't HAVE to do anything, it will fade completely and disappear, and it takes less time than you think. But, I understand wanting to be proactive as well, I'm kind of OCD like that.
Posted By: Chet

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 08:13 PM

This, it will disappear, never use it if it isn't held over something you don't mind get hit.
Posted By: Greg Z

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 10:46 PM

I think they make a remover for this stuff. I spilled a bottle in a crappie barge when I first started using it. Smelled like Mama Luigi's pizza parlor in no time. roflmao
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 11:15 PM

Sell the boat! Actually as there's have said time in the sun will fade pretty fast. It's happened to me a couple times!

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/09/18 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Greg Z
I think they make a remover for this stuff. I spilled a bottle in a crappie barge when I first started using it. Smelled like Mama Luigi's pizza parlor in no time. roflmao

Yeah, the garlic smell is a bit much. I’m going to put some elbow grease into it here in a bit. Hopefully I can get some of it off and then let the sun take care of the rest. I guess I’ll just have to get it out of the garage and on the lake more often! banana
Posted By: cantcatch5

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/10/18 12:34 AM

I spilled some in my last boat. It landed in two spots. I scrubbed and scrubbed and used acetone on one spot and it faded a little. A year later you could not see the spot I left alone but you could still see where I had scrubbed a couple of years later when I sold the boat.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/10/18 12:43 AM

The chartreuse will fade a lot quicker than the dark colors. Don't ask me how I know. bolt
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/10/18 12:48 AM

Don't worry about it just go fishing. The more you use the boat and it is exposed to the sun it will fade away.
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/10/18 01:39 AM

Got 2 spots on my carpet about 3 weeks ago, cant find them now gone already, one trip was in the rain.

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/10/18 02:36 AM

Rubbing alcohol and a magic eraser got most of it off the gel coat. The carpet needs some sun, nothing did much for the carpet. All good info above, I think a couple trips when the sun actually shines is all I need to get rid of what’s left.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/10/18 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish2222
I was told the Mr. Clean magic eraser works on gelcoat.

I'd be very cautious with that. Those magic erasers are amazing, but would probably scratch the dickens out of a gelcoat. Maybe try an inconspicuous spot at the bottom of the hull to see if it leave a haze.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Spilled Spike-It - 02/10/18 03:47 AM

Leaves
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum