Texas Fishing Forum

Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap

Posted By: 5Redman8

Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 05:25 PM

Why not fabricate a couple brackets that would allow a fiberglass pole to slide up and down but also lock when needed.

Attach these to the hydraulic jack plate.

Push them down by hand...lock them in place...then use the jackplate to push down enough to hold you in place.

This way the pole would be completely removable and could be done for very cheap.
Posted By: Mr. Clean

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 05:32 PM

There is a guy on here that makes those, "Shallow Water Anglers Gear" His name is Patrick Caverly, does good work.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 05:36 PM

The depth wouldn't be able to move more than 6" before you had to readjust the poles. The stuff mr.clean is talking about is pretty much the same thing just without the hydraulic plate.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 05:40 PM

Oh, if you have some welding skills or access to them you can build a power pole pretty easy. Onboard trim pump, with a small ram and you can make brackets. Still cost a few hundred but will work the same
Posted By: Bassdeer

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 06:54 PM

This guy.

http://shallowwatersolutions.com/
Posted By: smooth move

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 07:04 PM

i made these for years, untill it got so competitive i was losing money on the time it takes to build em. they work great, indestructible. only real problem with using one is that sometimes it takes a lumberjack to pull it out of the mud with the current running. the pole is 1" x 10' solid fiberglass. i make any kind of mount needed, stern, off jack plate, power pole pattern bolt up or bow mount. aluminum bracket and aluminum duck foot on one end of the pole.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 07:17 PM

ive made them out of 1.5"pvc. cut into 4ft sections, thread both ends so they can fit in your rod box. screw together as needed for depth and use a top piece with a tee to a small rope around your cleat. holes need to be drilled so it doesn't float. under $10
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 07:24 PM

Or you could just buy a basic power pole....and not look like a hill billy ....and it would work correctly.

Just sayin.
Posted By: texasbass1

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 07:31 PM

I use Dig in anchors and they work great. Personally I don't care if someone else thinks they look hillbilly. They work and I'm not out thousands of dollars for something I use a couple times a day.

https://diginanchors.com/

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 07:50 PM

I’m thinking the shallow anchor above attached to the moving part of the jackplate would allow you to use the hydraulics to pull it out of the muck.
Posted By: pacertom

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
ive made them out of 1.5"pvc. cut into 4ft sections, thread both ends so they can fit in your rod box. screw together as needed for depth and use a top piece with a tee to a small rope around your cleat. holes need to be drilled so it doesn't float. under $10

And on one of the threaded ends, make an attachment for a pushpole when needed eh?

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 08:27 PM

yep, just cap one end fish
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 08:50 PM

Just bought a Ultrex, solved my problem. Works in shallow or deep water.
Posted By: anytide

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/08/18 11:18 PM

http://shallowwatersolutions.com/anchor_pin_mounts

flag

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/6137764/push_pole_anchoring#Post6137764

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/09/18 01:47 AM

Thanks Clean!!
good to see your still kickin'

ALL anchor pin mounts are guaranteed FOREVER!!
Free shipping!
Posted By: RudiTexas

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/09/18 05:17 AM

You buying?
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/09/18 12:34 PM

I was in a boat once that used one of these........

Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/09/18 02:45 PM

I just recently added King Pin Shallow Water Anchors. They are really nice and cost effective compared to Power Poles. They make a an Out Board Mount that mounts right onto your bolts so that you don't have to drill any holes into your boat. I go the 10 foot poles that detach in the middle down into 5 foot sections. about $450 for the set up. They work just as well, just man power compared to the pump.

http://kingpinanchors.com/

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/09/18 11:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher�
I just recently added King Pin Shallow Water Anchors. They are really nice and cost effective compared to Power Poles. They make a an Out Board Mount that mounts right onto your bolts so that you don't have to drill any holes into your boat. I go the 10 foot poles that detach in the middle down into 5 foot sections. about $450 for the set up. They work just as well, just man power compared to the pump.

no pricing
third party retailers
limited inventory
warranty ?
customers service ?
joke

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 12:36 AM

Originally Posted By: anytide
Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher�

no pricing
third party retailers
limited inventory
warranty ?
customers service ?
joke

Really? This is a pot calling a kettle "black". You both sell manual "stick in the mud" anchors.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 01:03 AM

Originally Posted By: 5Redman8
I’m thinking the shallow anchor above attached to the moving part of the jackplate would allow you to use the hydraulics to pull it out of the muck.

Kyle, I have an old 20# lead anchor you can have if you want it. Used it for many year before Spot-Lock and Power Poles.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 01:27 AM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Kyle, I have an old 20# lead anchor you can have if you want it. Used it for many year before Spot-Lock and Power Poles.

I have an anchor....I was just trying to think of a cheaper way to stabilize for spring fishing. Power poles would be great but I cannot justify the expense.

Ultrex is on my wish list but I am not sure it is my answer to all situations.....Palestine could be rough on a prop trying to spot lock over trees.

The manual poles are a pain to pull from muck...so I was thinking the jackplate could do a bit of the lifting to break suction. May not have enough movement though.

Back to the old drawing board!

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 02:33 AM

I fished with two guides in Islamorada that used their push poles to tie up with. It worked really well. They would push the pointed end of the pole into the mud bottom and tie a short piece of rope to it.

The pole would bend slightly as the wind blew the boat away from the pole and the tension on the pole kept it from pulling out of the mud. Worked really well in some pretty good wind.

I asked about one of their carbon fiber push poles and he told me it was $600. eeks

http://stiffypushpoles.com/stiffy-one-piece-push-poles/fiberglass-push-pole
Posted By: WylieWalker

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 09:03 PM

This works great for me and about $4!

Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 10:23 PM

Originally Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES
Just bought a Ultrex, solved my problem. Works in shallow or deep water.

This is the way to solve 2 issues with one answer.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 10:49 PM

Try spot lock in Kickapoo or Flat Creek.

I’m thinking you better have plenty spare props and shafts.

The Ultrex would be great but in the shallow stumps of Palestine....I think you would be doing damage if using the spot lock.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 11:21 PM

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 11:32 PM

Try spot lock in Kickapoo or Flat Creek.

I’m thinking you better have plenty spare props and shafts.

The Ultrex would be great but in the shallow stumps of Palestine....I think you would be doing damage if using the spot lock.

Stumps are not any harder on Ultrex props than other props and have absolutely nothing to do with spot lock. Spot lock works off the transducer not the prop. Actually spot lock is perfect for areas with lots of stumps more so than power poles. You'd just need to have one to enjoy the benefits.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 11:38 PM

I have an anchor....I was just trying to think of a cheaper way to stabilize for spring fishing. Power poles would be great but I cannot justify the expense

I️ would gladly pay double what I️ paid for my ultrex and poles. Probly even triple. They are very easily justified

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/10/18 11:50 PM

So while it is trying to keep you in place.....the prop isn’t turning?!?!?

If you are working a fish in the back of the boat and the wind is blowing....spot lock will turn into the wind and turn on. Does it turn off when it hits something?

What I’m saying is on a non spot lock TM the prop is not turning when I’m not standing on the pedal.

Trust me....I want an ultrex but I didn’t think spot lock would be great in trees. My buddy’s Ulterra would tear up using spot lock in trees.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 12:05 AM

So while it is trying to keep you in place.....the prop isn’t turning?!?!?

If you are working a fish in the back of the boat and the wind is blowing....spot lock will turn into the wind and turn on. Does it turn off when it hits something?

What I’m saying is on a non spot lock TM the prop is not turning when I’m not standing on the pedal.

Trust me....I want an ultrex but I didn’t think spot lock would be great in trees. My buddy’s Ulterra would tear up using spot lock in trees.

Maybe you don’t understand how spot lock works.

Unless you pull on top of a tree and hit the anchor button on top of the tree while you’re shredding your prop then no it doesn’t matter if there’s trees or not. If you’re clear of tree when you lock it then it will pretty much hold you right there. It doesn’t blow you 10 feet away then take you back. It holds you there. Wind makes it work even better. You have no better of a Chance of damaging your prop with spot lock than you do running a regular troller

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 12:07 AM

Comparing spot lock on an ulterra to spotlock on a Ultrex is like comparing Hillary Clinton to Ivanka Trump

Two different systems. I️ wouldn’t take an ulterra if it were free after seeing them on others boats. I️ can toss out a marker buoy next to my troller shaft on my ultrex and it will stay right next to it

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 12:09 AM

I understand completely....gig em was saying it wouldn’t do damage.

I have seen spot lock in action on an Ulterra....unless it is much improved his would keep correcting in trees and tear props up.

The Ultrex is on my wish list but for shallow water in stumps...I know the Ulterra was terrible.

There is enough error/correction and enough trees shallow to tear it up if it doesn’t turn off when it drills a tree.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 12:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
Comparing spot lock on an ulterra to spotlock on a Ultrex is like comparing Hillary Clinton to Ivanka Trump

Two different systems. I️ wouldn’t take an ulterra if it were free after seeing them on others boats. I️ can toss out a marker buoy next to my troller shaft on my ultrex and it will stay right next to it

There is some useful information.....the Ulterra would wander wildly. Glad to here the Ultrex is more precise.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 12:45 AM

Thanks for clearing that up Clark. Last Sunday at Lake Fork I was fishing a brush pile in 15 FOW. I was using a stump next to the boat to keep me aligned with my target. In the past I would have tied up to that stump but since I have the Ultrex I hit spot lock and never moved 1 foot either way of that stump and that was with a 12 mph wind. Ultrex is the best thing that ever happened to a bass boat IMO.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 12:52 AM

I have an early model Ulterra and it will hold you in about a 10' circle of your spot lock. I just hate the mount with a passion.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 12:54 AM

I have an early model Ulterra and it will hold you in about a 10' circle of your spot lock. I just hate the mount with a passion.

10’ seems to be about right for a roaming distance on the ulterra. Ultrex roams a few inches a best

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 01:16 AM

10’ seems to be about right for a roaming distance on the ulterra. Ultrex roams a few inches a best

Eh. Maybe not QUITE that good. Mine wanders 3-4 ft until it zeroes in and the [censored] swings around with the wind. Then it's usually a foot or two from dead locked.

As crazy as it sounds, more wind makes it more stable and really zeroed in. Fished the front this morning and I was 15 ft from a rock pile loaded with fish. And 30 ft from the bank. The wind was HOWLING. And I never once worried about it drifting or losing spot lock. I actually sat down for a few minutes and enjoyed some cup cakes and a Coke. In the miserable weather. Back turned to the Rocks.

The things are exceptional at holding a boat.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/11/18 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Eh. Maybe not QUITE that good. Mine wanders 3-4 ft until it zeroes in and the [censored] swings around with the wind. Then it's usually a foot or two from dead locked.

As crazy as it sounds, more wind makes it more stable and really zeroed in. Fished the front this morning and I was 15 ft from a rock pile loaded with fish. And 30 ft from the bank. The wind was HOWLING. And I never once worried about it drifting or losing spot lock. I actually sat down for a few minutes and enjoyed some cup cakes and a Coke. In the miserable weather. Back turned to the Rocks.

The things are exceptional at holding a boat.

My buddy has one and says the same thing, oddly that it doesn't work as well in super calm or super shallow. He says the windier the better, that's his argument to still have shallow water anchors. I'm saving for ultrex and decided on the cheaper poor man power poles.

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/13/18 11:06 PM

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/16/18 02:03 PM

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/16/18 03:32 PM

starting to look like a shameless sales plug anytide...

Re: Shallow Anchor Thought....On the Cheap - 02/16/18 04:14 PM

ok ill let it go.

thx
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum