Texas Fishing Forum

Two questions on water temps...

Posted By: texasAUtiger

Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 01:23 PM

What water temps are you looking for to indicate the start of the spawn for largemouth?

What water temps are you looking for before the white bass start to move from the main lake and into the rivers?
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 01:28 PM

Around 60 but have seen it go both ways
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 01:32 PM

I've seen bass spawn in temps as low as 55. The texts books will tell you 62 which is probably a good all around average. If you wait until 62 though many fish will have spawned. Bass are going to start moving towards spawning locations essentially anytime. The first warm three day southern blow in your area should have mianlake points on the north side of lakes stacked with big pre-spawn females. The time is now!
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 01:57 PM

57-58 is when I start looking but even then several variables have to be in play like how fast did the temp get there and the stability of weather surrounding that temp. But in the end not all fish act the same all the time so you have to keep experimenting. It doesn't take long to pick a textbook spawning pocket and go look or fish around and see. Fish will tell you what they are doing by what you get bit on and how they act.
Posted By: Ripinlip

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 01:59 PM

I start focusing on spawning flats and shallows when temp reaches 55-58
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 02:53 PM

Unless the water temps drop drastically say from 58 to low to mid 40's due to an Arctic front, I do not think water temps are all that important. IMO, the combination of the water temps "warming up" and the days getting longer and nights getting shorter is what triggers the spawn. If I had to put a number on it, I would say when the water goes from mid 50's to high 50's to low 60's that is a key time for the fish to start moving up.

Another key element is stability of the temps and also the stability of the water.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 03:47 PM

It varies from lake to lake, but usually around 60 degrees for largemouth.

Can't comment on white bass as I don't fish for them.
Posted By: KidKrappie

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 03:50 PM

White bass tend to really get moving up the creeks at around 55. Especially right after a warm rain.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 04:11 PM

When I fished for them, we assumed water temps 52-54 to be the magic number to get it going.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 04:56 PM

It's a combination of photoperiod and temperature that gets them going; but they'll go ahead and get started if one is just right and the other is off (example, the length of day is right but the water is only 56). I'll start looking in the spawning areas when the water stays in the mid to upper 50's for several days. They might not be there yet but they'll be on their way, follow the migration paths outwards until you locate them.

White bass seem to start running at about 55 in my experience.
Posted By: Rog

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 07:51 PM

Time is now especially if you can find grass to hold heat in or near spawning areas for staging fish. No grass fish creeks, feeder creeks and points or drains leading in. Have site fished bedding fish in the grass in Jan in 55-60 degree water when the main lake was still upper 40s to low 50s after a week of really warm weather. Fished a lake with grass last weekend and we caught 15 up to 8lbs no deeper than 6 ft and most were 1-2 ft in 49 degree water on Sat. The back of the creek is full of grass and the warm days warms the area faster and the grass holds the heat better plus gives cover. Otherwise I look for 58-65 for them to really get on beds. And the first warm rain that gets a current moving in the creeks will get whites going.
Posted By: reeltexan

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 07:58 PM

Photo period is sometimes more important.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 09:00 PM

My experience is it depends on the lake... couple lakes I’m already catching them in shallow water in spawning areas with full bellies and the water temps were high 40’s low 50’s in the afternoon. Other lake I typically fish it seems like the water has to be bath water to find the bigger girls up shallow... many buck bass will already be on the areas though.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 09:02 PM

Also any 3-4 day warming trend is a good time to get a line wet no matter what the water temp is if it’s this time of year.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 09:52 PM

It really depends on what the water temp was 4-5 days ago. Bass will push shallow on warming trends. I've even seen males on Rayburn on beds already. Temps plays a role but it's more about relative temp to what it was a week ago. I've caught some big fish in 58 degree water on beds if conditions are right. Rayburn is low 50's btw
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/06/18 10:13 PM

I thought I saw a few beds last weekend but no fish. Didn't really hang around shallow enough to really look for them but did notice those few cleaned spots. When it's time, it's time.
Posted By: Bigron119

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/07/18 06:57 PM

Now! banana
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/07/18 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
It really depends on what the water temp was 4-5 days ago. Bass will push shallow on warming trends. I've even seen males on Rayburn on beds already. Temps plays a role but it's more about relative temp to what it was a week ago. I've caught some big fish in 58 degree water on beds if conditions are right. Rayburn is low 50's btw

You got that right. I once fished for a bed fish on Fork and the water temp showed to be 49 degrees. Once they commit they will be there.
Posted By: Big Ned

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/07/18 09:37 PM

After fishing Rayburn last weekend and catching the fish where I did they are headed there. I saw water temps of 52 and where I caught them and caught them pretty good would suggest they are headed to the spawning areas. I am sure others will differ from this but I really believe the weights at TTT this weekend will prove me right.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/07/18 10:27 PM

There's going to be some big weights this weekend.
Posted By: Big Ned

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/07/18 10:42 PM

Gonna be a tote'n contest.
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/08/18 04:58 AM

White bass around 50. Largies around 60-65
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/08/18 01:18 PM

I'm amazed how fast it can happen sometimes. I've been to areas in the morning with beds, but zero fish on them. Then you come back through the same area 2 hours later after the sun gets up and the place is loaded with fish.
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/08/18 01:37 PM

Caught 1 that I belive to be on a bed last weekend saw a few empty ones aswell 56* water.bet it's in the 40s now
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/08/18 02:41 PM

temps don't mean as much as the photoperiod, just easier for anglers to recognize.
Posted By: Joefishin

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/08/18 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Unless the water temps drop drastically say from 58 to low to mid 40's due to an Arctic front, I do not think water temps are all that important. IMO, the combination of the water temps "warming up" and the days getting longer and nights getting shorter is what triggers the spawn. If I had to put a number on it, I would say when the water goes from mid 50's to high 50's to low 60's that is a key time for the fish to start moving up.

Another key element is stability of the temps and also the stability of the water.

I'm with Doug, I've always felt the longer days and warmer night time temps are good indicators.
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: Two questions on water temps... - 02/08/18 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: senko9S
temps don't mean as much as the photoperiod, just easier for anglers to recognize.

^^^^This^^^^

It seems the more and more research you read, Photo Period is the key, same way with the timing of the rut! I would think that water temps could skew it left or right by a week or two, but when that trigger goes off in their head, it's on, i feel deer are the same way.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum