Texas Fishing Forum

Humminbird help 898C SI

Posted By: wishicouldfish

Humminbird help 898C SI - 02/05/18 11:00 PM

I just got a new to me 898C SI and it works but was wondering if the XHS 9 HDSI 180T tranducer is any upgrade to the clarity of the unit. I was going to buy a transom mount TD anyway and figured the extra 50 bucks would be worth it. Also plan on upgrading as time goes on and that seems to be what the Helix uses. From what I've read it helps a little bit. My little 597HD DI is much sharper.

If you have one collecting dust let me know as I'll be heading to Cabelas in a day or two otherwise. HAHA

thanks as always
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Humminbird help 898C SI - 02/06/18 12:04 AM

the 597 is gonna have better di since its a di unit with a dedicated di element in the transducer. The 898 is blended di from the left and right si elements overlapping to create the computer generated di.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Humminbird help 898C SI - 02/06/18 01:28 AM

What 44 Diesel said about DI. As far as humminbird goes a DI unit will give better DI view because of the crystals dedicated to DI only. The transducer you asked about will be better than the compact transducer on SI which may or may not make the DI a little sharper. Even in the Helix gen 1 units the DI is not great compared to the DI units. I have a Helix 10 DI and a Helix 12 SI both gen 1. The 10 is great at DI the 12 is so-so. I'd go with the transducer you asked about on the transom.
Posted By: wishicouldfish

Re: Humminbird help 898C SI - 02/06/18 03:12 AM

Thanks. that's what I did. Will try it out this weekend. Won't help me catch fish but will drive around for hours jacking with it while irritating my kid at the same time. HAHA
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum