Texas Fishing Forum

Whopper Ploppers at Academy

Posted By: Txmedic033

Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/03/18 06:27 PM

Longview Acadamy had a ton of 130 size WP marked down for $9.99. I grabbed a few to replace the ones that the redfish tore up last year.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/03/18 07:17 PM

The store here in Denton rarely has anything in stock in the fishing dept that anyone needs. It’s been a total disappointment in this location especially with two lake so close
Posted By: Jason Daniel Outdoors

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/03/18 11:17 PM

Well, does your Academy at least have anyone ever working the fishing counter?? 3 times this past week tried going to buy a new reel and not a sole around. I will forever now purchase all of my tackle online!
Posted By: Matt Wilson

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Jason Daniel Outdoors
Well, does your Academy at least have anyone ever working the fishing counter?? 3 times this past week tried going to buy a new reel and not a sole around. I will forever now purchase all of my tackle online!

you will prob save money buying online also
Posted By: Nathan_Flovin

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 02:26 AM

Academy in Plano has always been pretty good.
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 02:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
Longview Acadamy had a ton of 130 size WP marked down for $9.99. I grabbed a few to replace the ones that the redfish tore up last year.

The longview academy is hands down the best academy for fishing stuff. I went to school out there for a year and they always had a better selection and prices than the fort worth area ones. Love that location.
Posted By: txfsh

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 12:12 PM

The Academy in Weatherford is horrible. There is more empty pegs than full ones last time I was in there. I have started going to the little mom and pop shop on the other end of town. They are always happy to see you and if they don't have it they will get it.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 02:33 PM

Originally Posted By: txfsh
The Academy in Weatherford is horrible. There is more empty pegs than full ones last time I was in there. I have started going to the little mom and pop shop on the other end of town. They are always happy to see you and if they don't have it they will get it.

Tackle depot, they are great and I always try and get it from there first. Also by far the best place to drop of rods for eye repair. Super quick. Also they support local guys, Pete sponsored by them, they support tourneys around area, have loaned out their scales, etc. Good peeps.

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 02:54 PM

I’ve been there numerous times to find nobody... I go up front and find the fishing dept manager and ask you got anyone working back here? Or check stock on this bait due to all of the empty pegs. But there’s plenty of employees in the shoe dept or clothing...
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 03:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan

I’ve been there numerous times to find nobody... I go up front and find the fishing dept manager and ask you got anyone working back here? Or check stock on this bait due to all of the empty pegs. But there’s plenty of employees in the shoe dept or clothing...

Like I've said in the past, Academy's priorities are shoes, women's workout clothing and guns. Fishing is way down the line.
Posted By: Lee Finlay

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 03:41 PM

Bryan/College Station Academy has an amazing fishing department. Easily three times the size of most others.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 05:05 PM

Word is Academy just went thru a large reduction in force. That can't be good.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 06:47 PM

The Academy in Frisco seems to be bare shelves and racks in the fishing department as well.

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
The Academy in Frisco seems to be bare shelves and racks in the fishing department as well.

Stocks getting low on sleeveless shirts too... bang bang
Guess I have to make my own
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 07:17 PM

dicks usually has them on sale with plenty in stock, customer service, not so much... these are clothing and shoe stores with limited amounts of sports equipment.
Posted By: Thinwater skinner

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/04/18 08:54 PM

When the store changed hands to a northern group of investers it has never been the same... more shoes then anything else...
Posted By: sight fisher

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/05/18 10:17 AM

Support your local tackle store is my vote.
Posted By: Shallow Waters

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/05/18 11:34 AM

Originally Posted By: dreamweaver96

The longview academy is hands down the best academy for fishing stuff. I went to school out there for a year and they always had a better selection and prices than the fort worth area ones. Love that location.

This is true. I was in the Longview academy a few weeks ago and was pissed about how much better it is then the Tyler academy. I keep trying to find reasons to go back to Longview now.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/05/18 12:55 PM

The 2-3 years of throwing them when very few people even knew what they were was fun. Now they are gutting to be the Senko of the topwaters. Everyone throws one it seems.
Posted By: chevy2011

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/05/18 02:02 PM

In Arlington the other day workers in every fishing aisle stocking pegs.
But normally they only worry about selling guns.

banana
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/05/18 04:05 PM

Try the Killeen Academy, we have a huge selection of fishing tackle.
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 04:05 AM

spend your money on yellow magic !
Posted By: dreamweaver96

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By: Shallow Waters
Originally Posted By: dreamweaver96

This is true. I was in the Longview academy a few weeks ago and was pissed about how much better it is then the Tyler academy. I keep trying to find reasons to go back to Longview now.

Any time I'm at my farm in east tx, I'll drive the 45 minutes to the academy and pick up a few things
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 12:45 PM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
spend your money on yellow magic and then spend more money on quality hooks to put on it!

FIFY
Posted By: kevine80

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 03:00 PM

Originally Posted By: kevine80
spend your money on yellow magic and then spend more money on quality hooks to put on it!

FIFY

i knew that would stir the pot ! lol
yellow magic has great hooks --- i know cause i took one through the finger
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 03:30 PM

I'm not a big fan of Academy, but it's all I've got in Beaumont. Thankfully, it's fully staffed and full of fishing gear. I saw last night they were putting up a new display of Dobyn's Fury and Sierra rods, 13 fishing rods, and one other middle tier rod. They've got a great selection of Zoom baits, plenty of hard baits, Basstrix, and quite a few other good brands.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 03:54 PM

The Academy stores around here are laughable at best.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 04:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry
The 2-3 years of throwing them when very few people even knew what they were was fun. Now they are gutting to be the Senko of the topwaters. Everyone throws one it seems.

Same thing with Yellow Magic!
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
The store here in Denton rarely has anything in stock in the fishing dept that anyone needs. It’s been a total disappointment in this location especially with two lake so close

Agree!

Buying online while efficient and usually cheaper does not scratch my tackle itch like sorting through a nice selection at a store and actually walking out with exactly what I want!
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 07:35 PM

seems all Academy's are bout the same you better no what your after because those guys have no idea LOL
Posted By: over the hill @PK

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/07/18 07:37 PM

I WILL SHOP ON LINE EVERYTIME FIRST THOUGH
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/08/18 02:36 AM

Originally Posted By: chevy2011
In Arlington the other day workers in every fishing aisle stocking pegs.
But normally they only worry about selling guns.

banana

Wow, restocking shelves in Arlington...They haven't done that very well for the past three years or so.
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: Whopper Ploppers at Academy - 02/08/18 04:55 AM

Those hot deals at academy are insane. I bought spro jerkbaits there a couple years back for 4.99$. Insane...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum