Texas Fishing Forum

Liquid gold????

Posted By: beartrap

Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 03:53 PM

the outboard oil recommendation thread reminded me of a long running,highly debated outboard oil thread on another forum(BFHP) a few years ago....one of the members collected samples of all the major outboard manufactors oils(Merc,yamaha,e-rude) and sent them to an independent lab for testing....don't recall all the specifics but results were that all of the outboard oils were nothing but 20 weight motor oil with dye and a trace of additives....I believe Yamaha did have a small percentage of molybdenum(sp)....
several points were brought up, one of which was important to me in that no manufactor has ever shown proof that their oil is superior and consensus of opinion was that if there was proof it would be plastered all over dealers showrooms and their advertising...also mentioned was a "trace of additives" means that there is not enough additives to be of any benefit....lot of innuendo from dealers/salesmen that the manufactor might not honor warranty but no proof that a manufactures expensive oil is any better than Wal-mart outboard oil..
I once heard an outboard dealer laughingly refer to engine manufactors oil as "liquid gold" and my own experience using 20 weight motor oil with smaller engines before bass boats came makes me wonder if expensive engine oil is really worth it..
hopefully all the guys on this forum with experience in petroleum prouducts can enlighten us...
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 05:00 PM

Following, I and I would not doubt it at all.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 05:29 PM

Totally agree! Also one of the biggest "wives tales" is people's misconception about voided warrantees if not exclusively using the manufactures branded(labeled) oil. The service manuals all state "reccomended" as in "we recommend you pay us 2-1/2 times fair market value for our name on the jug". No warrantee voided as long as the CORRECT WEIGHT oil is used, not the CORRECT BRAND.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 05:32 PM

Yep ... the DFI oil y'all are buying for your Mercs 1 gal. $45...not necessary. All it needs is premium plus 1 gal. $28.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 05:36 PM

Not One outboard manufacturer owns an oil company. Lucas and pennsoil does.
I’m pretty sure their oil is just fine
Posted By: Dwhitt

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 06:20 PM

Ok , So I'm fairly new here.I have the Merc OptiMaxx.Was told by Mercury dealer only run optimax oil.As noted above $45 a gal.How many Optimax owners run something different and how long ?
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 06:31 PM

I have an older 115, but in every boat I have had, my dad had, and when I worked for an outboard repair shop as a kid, ran the Pennzoil, and now the synthetic blend. Never had an issue.
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 06:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Dwhitt
Ok , So I'm fairly new here.I have the Merc OptiMaxx.Was told by Mercury dealer only run optimax oil.As noted above $45 a gal.How many Optimax owners run something different and how long ?

Check the other thread that's going on about oils. I've run supertech in my last 3 boats and it's been fine. All DFI engines, and I put around 400 hours a year on them. Guys who bought those boats still haven't had any issues. If it's rated to meet the TCW3 standard (which is the industry standard), then it's good to go.

Edit: You'd be surprised at the number of Elite series guys who run Walmart Supertech.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 06:44 PM

I stocked up on Cabela's brand oil when it was on sale for $9 per gallon. That is all I ever used.
Posted By: Stump jumper

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 06:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Dwhitt
2006 run on Quicksilver premium since new. Not sure of hours. some where just north of 200. I don't pay $28 like earlier poster I am thinking low 20s. High 20s is BPS price.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 07:07 PM

Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about Rotel & cheese dip. #LiquidGold
Posted By: 361V

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 07:23 PM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell
Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about Rotel & cheese dip. #LiquidGold
It is! Just letting you know the Super Bowl party is still going to rock even if you buy the generic Walmart “Great Value” brand Rotel and “Nice & Cheesy” brand Velvita! Probably a better party cus you will have some extra $$$ for “premium beer”! laugh
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 07:35 PM

In before the Amsoil Hawks boast their claim to fame.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 07:46 PM

I know Yamalube has additives to prevent moisture damage from being in a humid environment (lake) and having a motor start, warm up, stop, cool down, over and over.
Posted By: TR176

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 09:21 PM

Is there any problem with using full synthetic? Is there any benefit? I have always used Pennzoil full synthetic in an Optimax. No problems thus far.
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 09:49 PM

Lol. Sounds like a good plan.

Originally Posted By: 361V
It is! Just letting you know the Super Bowl party is still going to rock even if you buy the generic Walmart “Great Value” brand Rotel and “Nice & Cheesy” brand Velvita! Probably a better party cus you will have some extra $$$ for “premium beer”! laugh
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 10:08 PM

Dos Equis
Posted By: onfork

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/02/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: TR176
Is there any problem with using full synthetic? Is there any benefit? I have always used Pennzoil full synthetic in an Optimax. No problems thus far.
I have heard from some who would know that full syn. should not be used in an engine with steel sleeves,but syn mix is good for all...Pennzoil has worked for me for many years (syn blend)
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/03/18 01:35 AM

Problem with threads like this is who the heck knows who to trust? I wanna save as much money as possible like the next guy but with limited motor and oil knowledge I also don’t want to have any avoidable engine issues because I tried to skimp on expenses. I’m apprehensive even to buy Quiksilver oil. But, again, that’s only because of my limited experience with outboards. I just want my girl to run good forever!
Posted By: beartrap

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/03/18 01:54 AM

years ago there was a lot of debate about who made the best motor oils for your car so consumers reports did some extensive and sophisticated testing of different motor oils used in New York taxis over an extended period....they actually tore the engines down and measured the wear on the parts that were lubricated...
the conclusion....oil was oil and it didn't matter which brand including synthetic,they all protected equally...
about that time all "our oil is better" ads stopped....
I suspect the same would happen if they tested outboard oils against 20 weight motor oil...
in few years this will probably be a moot point when outboards all convert to 4 stroke....
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/03/18 04:44 AM

I can't remember which boat forum it was, I think Hull Truth. One of the guys bought a case of Yamaha lube and about half the bottles said Citgo. Pretty sure from what I've read Yamalube is Citgo.
Posted By: onfork

Re: Liquid gold???? - 02/03/18 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI
I can't remember which boat forum it was, I think Hull Truth. One of the guys bought a case of Yamaha lube and about half the bottles said Citgo. Pretty sure from what I've read Yamalube is Citgo.

citgo oil is owned buy the national oil co of Venezuela, which is why I stopped buying merc oil years ago,so use it and support a dictator government in south America!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum