Texas Fishing Forum

Gibbons Creek

Posted By: 5PounderOnAFrog

Gibbons Creek - 01/30/18 05:06 PM

I'm getting anxious for the fish to get into more of a pre-spawn pattern and was hoping the action was going to start picking up a bit this weekend on Conroe, but am now seeing that there's a little front rolling through that I'm sure will have the fish tight-lipped. If I have to do another day of goose eggs on Conroe I may just go ahead and sell my boat.

So with that being said, does anyone have an update on how Gibbons Creek is fishing lately? Is the powerplant on the lake big enough to keep the lake warmer than the other lakes in the area? I'm new to the Houston area and have never fished it so I was curious if it fishes like Squaw or Monti (RIP) in the winter time. I need to get my fix for warm-water fishing in soon. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: Gibbons Creek - 01/30/18 06:51 PM

Not recent but I fished GC in late Decemeber and caught two dinks in the pads by the ramp. Water temps was low mid 60's in the main lake area.

As to Conroe I know what you mean about the bite lately. However, this past Sunday afternoon up north was decent for me. (I'm calling 3 fish an ok day) The water temps were 61-62 in 6-8 feet with sun. 2 on jigs and one topwater.
Posted By: BassColonel

Re: Gibbons Creek - 01/30/18 07:13 PM

Power plant is offline. Water temp on the main lake is 52-54 and muddy, a little warmer in the creeks but still muddy. Fish were definitely not biting on Sunday.
Posted By: Bug-e

Re: Gibbons Creek - 01/30/18 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: BassColonel
Power plant is offline. Water temp on the main lake is 52-54 and muddy, a little warmer in the creeks but still muddy. Fish were definitely not biting on Sunday.

Colonel: Do you still fish out there a lot? I miss your Gibbons Creek videos! smile

Re: Gibbons Creek - 01/30/18 07:48 PM

By the way, I had a couple of really good days for numbers in the creeks in October and November. My best fall in terms of numbers per trip at GC for me.
Posted By: BassColonel

Re: Gibbons Creek - 01/31/18 01:06 AM

Bug-e, yes, still fish there a lot and still post some videos. I now have a little place at Fork so we spend a lot of time there as well. Hope to see you on the Gibbons sometime this spring.
Posted By: Mr. Incredible

Re: Gibbons Creek - 01/31/18 01:31 AM

Always wanted to fish Gibbons but never have. I’ve heard it used to be the Fayette type lake but recently has not been such. Some day I’ll make it over there. Being open only Friday thru Sunday is a turnoff for me as I’m fortunate enough to be able to fish during the week and avoid the weekend crowds but when it’s only open on the weekend that kind of goes out the window.

Re: Gibbons Creek - 01/31/18 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: Mr. Incredible
Always wanted to fish Gibbons but never have. I’ve heard it used to be the Fayette type lake but recently has not been such. Some day I’ll make it over there. Being open only Friday thru Sunday is a turnoff for me as I’m fortunate enough to be able to fish during the week and avoid the weekend crowds but when it’s only open on the weekend that kind of goes out the window.

Yeah, the hours are terrible. Several years ago I had a work schedule that allowed me to fish on Tuesdays. Had a blast out there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum