Texas Fishing Forum

Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110?

Posted By: Ranger Z118

Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 02:00 PM

The stock hooks are sharp, but have had 2 break when trying to land a fish. What brand and size of treble hook do you guys prefer for best hook up ratio? I appreciate and help in advance.

Thank You,

Brian
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 02:08 PM

Personally I stick with the stock hooks. They are designed for the bait itself and I don't want anything affecting the action or performance of the bait. We hear very few complaints regarding hook failures. I personally have never had an issue with them.

What size line are you using?
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 02:15 PM

The Gamakatsu Aaron Martens TGW Nano Finesse trebles are a popular alternative.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 03:26 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

What he said! Those hooks are awesome on the Vision 110's. Personally, I test each bait in my pool before I change the hooks. If the bait performs perfectly, I usually leave the stock hooks on there. I don't want to upset the balance of that bait. Then there are times where you buy one and the bait doesn't suspend well (it's actually a slow floater). That's when I change the hooks out. I've used a Vision 110 with stock hooks side by side with a Vision 110 with changed out hooks and it was hard for me to notice a difference. The main key here is to use a hook that is the same size as the stock hook and one that's a fine wire. No 2x strong hook on a jerkbait.

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 04:50 PM

Mark,

15# Big Game on a 7ft Med. Rod and Drag fairly loose. It is always the back hook that breaks.

Thank You,

Brian

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 04:51 PM

Thanks, what size hook?

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 05:32 PM

Size 6
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 05:34 PM

I have great confidence with the Mega hooks. I would replace with the same hooks. You can buy them direct from Mega' web site
It is very difficult for a fish to throw those hooks.

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 05:37 PM

I agree if they don't break them off.

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: west tex angler
I have great confidence with the Mega hooks. I would replace with the same hooks. You can buy them direct from Mega' web site
It is very difficult for a fish to throw those hooks.

Some MB dealers now stock the MB replacement hooks. They are less than $5.00 a pack. cheers

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 06:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Ranger Z118
I agree if they don't break them off.

What size line are you using with the 110's?
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 07:14 PM

Owner ST35 size 6
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass94

What he said! Those hooks are awesome on the Vision 110's. Personally, I test each bait in my pool before I change the hooks. If the bait performs perfectly, I usually leave the stock hooks on there. I don't want to upset the balance of that bait. Then there are times where you buy one and the bait doesn't suspend well (it's actually a slow floater). That's when I change the hooks out. I've used a Vision 110 with stock hooks side by side with a Vision 110 with changed out hooks and it was hard for me to notice a difference. The main key here is to use a hook that is the same size as the stock hook and one that's a fine wire. No 2x strong hook on a jerkbait.

Water temperatures greatly effect the suspension of those baits. I wouldn't change weighting of those lures based upon a test in a swimming pool.

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Originally Posted By: bigbass94

Water temperatures greatly effect the suspension of those baits. I wouldn't change weighting of those lures based upon a test in a swimming pool.

You are right. I take that into account when testing.

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/30/18 11:34 PM

Mark-I use 15 pound big game.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/31/18 12:21 AM

The Katsuge outbarb hooks are readily available. Just use them.

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/31/18 12:40 AM

Mark-I use 15 pound big game.

That may be some of the issue...line is a bit more than most use. Most use 10lb and occasionally up to 12lb. You are also losing a ton of action on the bait with that big of line. Technically the 110 is a finesse jerkbait so to speak.
Posted By: Minner Bucket

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/31/18 01:08 AM

Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.
Owner ST35 size 6

+1

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/31/18 02:18 AM

Mark,

Thanks will try 10. Mono or fluoro?
Posted By: Skeeter0524

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/31/18 03:51 AM

I have had the stock hooks break also on 12lb fluoro. size 6 Gama ewg will make that bait sink ever so slowly and I prefer that to fish them a little deeper anyway. They have never broken either.

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/31/18 04:09 AM

Mark,

Thanks will try 10. Mono or fluoro?

It's really your choice. Use the one you use the most on moving baits. I tend to use fluoro mostly. Mono is just fine too.
Posted By: Matt Wilson

Re: Replacement hooks for Megabass Vision 110? - 01/31/18 04:09 PM

I use 12# and my 110 doesn't suspend horizontally, its tipped nose down at about a 45 degree angel. What am I missing?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum