Texas Fishing Forum

what does evrybody thing about the xi5?

Posted By: wdavis

what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/29/18 11:26 PM

you always hear about how great the ultrex is (rightfully so) but nothing about the Xi5, what do the people who own them think about them?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/29/18 11:29 PM

Ask KVD.
Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/29/18 11:32 PM

Game changer. Love it
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/29/18 11:33 PM

Originally Posted By: 521 ranger
Game changer. Love it
bolt
Posted By: Taylored

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/29/18 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Ask KVD.

popcorn
Posted By: MDM

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/29/18 11:51 PM

I’ve had one since the first year they came out, really like it. The GPS anchor feature is pretty accurate. The course heading feature with speed contol is pretty neat, just point where you want to fish to, set the speed, and adjust every now and then instead of the continuous adjustments necessary with a regular cable steer foot control motor. Overall it makes fishing in the wind quite a bit easier. The mounting bracket could use some improved design but it hasn’t changed over the years. The foot pedal steering could be better. It is so fast it is easy to oversteer.

Also have a Motorguide Tour Edition foot contol that has performed well. Talked to a factory rep for Motorguide at a Bassmaster Classic about 3 years ago and told him they needed to marry the Xi5 and the Tour Edition. He indicated they were working on it and would have it out in a year or so. Haven’t seen anything like that yet and with the Ultrex doing so well they have lost a tremendous number of sales. Hate to see the lack of product competition, without competition no improving products and better pricing.
Posted By: SAT_Bob

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 01:07 AM

Have one one my brother’s boat. Works great! Love the anchor feature. Also use the heading lock and cruise control features quite a bit. Overall, very happy with the Xi5.
Posted By: hookinbass

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 02:49 AM

The XI5 is a good trolling motor for the style it is
Posted By: Paul - Lake Fork

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 03:17 AM

Been using one for the past 7/8 months, can't say enough on how it has changed my world while on the boat. Using Pinpoint is effortless and so accurate, I run a 24v 45" on a 21ft Boat no problems. Kinda neat when I run the boat from the back or console, with a guy or 2 on the front deck. Cons: be careful each time you load or unload boat, because of the overhang of the mount.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 04:51 AM

KVD is like a hooker, best price
Posted By: ETxRT

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 06:39 AM

First off... KVD didn't run an Xi5, he ran an X5 cable steer!! I've had an Xi5 for a year and a half, I'll second, third or whatever they said about. It's been by far the best investment I've made on my boat by far, I get MUCH MORE actual fishing time in since I don't have to fight the TM when retieing and it's neat to run it from the back deck or behind the console. I've got a 80lb 45" shaft that I pulled off my boat before selling it and plan to put it on my next boat (20-21'), if it isn't long enough or strong enough I'll sell it and get a longer one or a 36v!!

I will agree with the mount on it, it could be better but the deploy and Stow are made easier by putting a handle on i bought from a bicycle shop that made deploying it and stowing it much easier. I just wish there was a better way to put a external transducer on it. Otherwise I love mine!
Posted By: C.Seymour

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 11:16 AM

Anchor mode is great, heading lock and cruise control are good also. The mount hangs over and gets banged on quite a bit, but there are 3rd party add on options for that.
Now for the part I am starting to hate, the foot pedal. It is waaaay to sensitive in my opinion. Also, for whatever reason my foot pedal failed so many batteries and was so frustrating that I gave up on it. Then, when I wanted to use it last, I look at the bottom of the pedal and somehow the batteries or pedal corroded and caused enough pressure to break the battery cover off the foot pedal, now the screws won't hold the cover on properly. Motorguide didn't seem to care when I called them and just told me I need to get in contact with someone locally for warranty. If you fish around a lot of stumps or trees the remote can be too much and you really need a foot pedal, unfortunately for me that has been awful.

Wish I had gone with Minn Kota.
Posted By: tmd11111

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 12:10 PM

I've had my Xi5 for almost a year now. 80#/60" on a 22' bay boat. It's been flawless from day one and my only gripe is the foot pedal. It's too sensitive and easily over steers. I mainly use the handheld remote but do keep the foot control on the bow when fishing in or close to brush.
Posted By: 206champion

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 01:13 PM

I have never had one but I have run a wireless foot pedal before and I didn’t like it ,I’m just used to the cable steer feel .I would think they would build something to compete with minn Kota though.
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 01:15 PM

I agree about the foot pedal. Hate it and in the years I’ve had my Xi5 I haven’t used it. I bought the Xi5 before the ultras came out. If I had to choose now, I would pick the uptrend. I have only spent one day on an uktr x and it sold me 100%.

Having said all of that the Xi5 changed the game for me. I’ve been able to fish water I would never have without it.
Posted By: Tx Tree Grower

Re: what does evrybody thing about the xi5? - 01/30/18 06:13 PM

I've had the XI5 for about 8 months now. I switched over to the xi5 from the Riptide Ulterra. Switching from the MinnKota to the XI5 has really been frustrating for me. I absolutely hate the XI5 hand remote. I have young boys that I often let fish in the front of the boat, and I operate the TM via the hand remote from the center or rear of the boat. The remote not having a display on it is a real pain. If you always fish from the bow then this isn't as big of a deal. Still, Minn Kota is worlds ahead when it comes to the remote. I guess a big part of my frustration is just that I was so accustomed to the MinnKota remote that it has been hard to transition.

The other thing I really do not like about the XI5 as opposed to the MinnKota products is the way the spot lock system works compared to the Ipilot. The XI5, especially in strong wind, tries to immediately get back to the locked position. It will literally almost make you fall down sometimes. A bigger issue than that is I believe it scares the fish off by putting out so much thrust all the sudden. The MinnKota tends to ease back up to the locked position. I also question the folks that say the XI5 spot lock is much more accurate than the Ipilot. I have not found that to be the case at all.

Overall I think the XI5 is solid mechanically, and I will admit that many of my complaints are based on just being accustomed to another product. Just remember to carry a pack of AAA batteries for the hand remote and a pack of AA for the foot pedal. They tend to go through batteries pretty fast. Especially the remote foot pedal.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum