Texas Fishing Forum

Camelot bell?

Posted By: Deps

Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 05:18 PM

I was just curious if any of you have fished here before?? If you could share your experience from what the fishing was like, what time of year you were fishing, to staying in the cabin? Thanks.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 06:06 PM

I have been 15-17 times. If you catch the weather right, the fishing is very good. You have a legitimate shot at catching a true mid-to-high teener fish. I landed a 15.00 on 01/07/12. It was the lake record for all of about two months. It is not a place you go to catch 100 fish a day. In Feb of 2016 I fished with a buddy and we had ten fish in a 9 hour day but the best five went 56.5 pounds.

There are several guys on here that have been more than me. Dr JL, Bassbusster, Fouzman and a couple others. I am happy to share my experiences with you via email. Shoot me a PM if you are truly interested.

Ken
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 09:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Deps
I was just curious if any of you have fished here before?? If you could share your experience from what the fishing was like, what time of year you were fishing, to staying in the cabin? Thanks.

welcome to the forum, I hope you find the answers helpful, there aren't any cabins on the property to my knowledge.. Town not to far away, enjoy and good luck.. thumb
Posted By: 5Redman8

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 09:31 PM

High fence fishing is totally different. Not bashing it but it is different.

You can essentially buy your way into double digits.

Some people luck into them, some work for them, and some bu them.

Just different.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 09:50 PM

Been there about 100 times. Maybe more. Yes, there is a very nice Park Model on the property you can stay in for $100/night.

Back when I first started fishing there, 100 fish days and 35 pounds was a given. 40-45 lbs was almost the norm on any given day. Bring a cold front in play this time of year and you'll more than likely get skunked. Catch it on a warming trend, and you'll be stunned. High skies and barometer. No good. Stable weather for a few days, look out! These are pure Florida strain largemouths and they're not fond of rapid weather changes for more than few minutes, any time of year.

So you've got to book your days in advance and take your chances. Around moon phases is best. The owner wants nothing more than for you to have a good trip. He will re-schedule bad weather days as available.

There are two lakes on the property. The original Camelot Bell which is 40 acres. And the new lake, "Wolfpack." It's about 30 acres but has much deeper water than the Bell. And grass. So named because it received a stocking of 74 DD females from the Bell, plus a few select males.

If you want more info, call the owner. MIke Frazier. 254-747-1034

p.s.-this is not a place you can"buy your way into" a DD bass. They may be more plentiful/ac., but you still have to catch them.

My first trip there I caught a 14.75 within the first hour. I sent the photo to a couple friends and, before I got home, it was all over the internet...lesson learned.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By: 5Redman8

Just different.

This high fence analogy comes up when CB lake is mentioned. I have been on several high fence game hunts to a pretty exclusive ranch where the axis deer or black bucks follow the jeep around waiting to be fed. My customer picks the one he wants and he shoots it from almost point blank range.

If you think CB is like that, plunk down your $1500 and have a go at it. Let me know how it works out for ya. Lol

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 10:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Just different.

This high fence analogy comes up when CB lake is mentioned. I have been on several high fence game hunts to a pretty exclusive ranch where the axis deer or black bucks follow the jeep around waiting to be fed. My customer picks the one he wants and he shoots it from almost point blank range.

If you think CB is like that, plunk down your $1500 and have a go at it. Let me know how it works out for ya. Lol

If it isn’t easier.....then why is it $1500. Why not take 3 Guide trips on Fork during the spawn?

Simply put.....IT IS EASIER....that is why the comparison comes up. And thanks for being honest about HF hunts. On THF many exclaim HF to be the same as real hunting.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 10:29 PM

Just different.

If it isn’t easier.....then why is it $1500. Why not take 3 Guide trips on Fork during the spawn?

Simply put.....IT IS EASIER....that is why the comparison comes up. And thanks for being honest about HF hunts. On THF many exclaim HF to be the same as real hunting.

It looks to me like the guy is interested in info on Camelot Bell - not an opinion on fishing private managed waters. Your comments come across like someone with a bone to pick.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 10:35 PM

I will admit it puts the odds in your favor much more so than going to a larger body of water. I have fished Fork more than most as I guided there full time for 4 years and lived on the lake. So it greatly increases your odds of catching a giant. Even on Forks best day I don’t think the opportunity currently exists to catch a high teen class fish. It is THAT FISH we are chasing at CB not simply a DD as you put it.

With regard to the high fence hunting trips I have taken my customers on, we simply drove around until we found the animal that my customer wanted to kill and then he shot it. I have chased those green fish for a long time and comparing a day at CB to high fenced hunting is preposterous.

If you think it is that simple catching a double digit at CB, like I said plop down your money and go for it

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 10:42 PM

If you think it is that simple catching a double digit at CB, like I said plop down your money and go for it

I think we are saying the same thing but with different slants.

As far as plopping down my money.....I don’t have anywhere near enough fun money for that kind of trip. My wife and I are both in education sick

If I had that kind of fun money....I’d much rather spend it hunting something. I only fish because it isn’t deer season!
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/28/18 11:31 PM

This thread just turned to total chit in a hurry. The OP didn't ask for opinions about HF fishing, he ask who's been there and how it was. bang this is getting as bad as the drama over on THF.
Posted By: BassObsessed

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:03 AM

Most should know that just because it's loaded with DD doesn't mean they'll zoom over and jump on your hook. BTW is the wolf pack lake fishable or does he just have you fish the main lake?

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:09 AM

I think we are saying the same thing but with different slants.

As far as plopping down my money.....I don’t have anywhere near enough fun money for that kind of trip. My wife and I are both in education sick

If I had that kind of fun money....I’d much rather spend it hunting something. I only fish because it isn’t deer season!

It's all good 5Redman8. BTW, are you Paul Redman from Rowlett?

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: BassObsessed
Most should know that just because it's loaded with DD doesn't mean they'll zoom over and jump on your hook. BTW is the wolf pack lake fishable or does he just have you fish the main lake?

It is fishable and loaded with fish. Price is the same to fish either lake. WP is somewhat of a mystery tho. Of the 74 DD's put in there only three 12's have been caught in two years time.

Evidence points to unprecedented growth from the first year's spawn. Many fish were caught in the 4.5 to 5.5 pound range that all looked like little clones with tiny mouths and out of proportion bodies one year after the first spawn.

I fished WP last April and had 20 fish all between 3.5 and 5.5 pounds. No fish that size range were put into the lake. Makes you wonder....

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:21 AM

Good talking to you on the phone Danny. Hope you get to go to CB this spring and beat your current PB all to heck! Call me before you go and I will give you some pointers on lure selection.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:29 AM

It is fishable and loaded with fish. Price is the same to fish either lake. WP is somewhat of a mystery tho. Of the 74 DD's put in there only three 12's have been caught in two years time.

Evidence points to unprecedented growth from the first year's spawn. Many fish were caught in the 4.5 to 5.5 pound range that all looked like little clones with tiny mouths and out of proportion bodies one year after the first spawn.

I fished WP last April and had 20 fish all between 3.5 and 5.5 pounds. No fish that size range were put into the lake. Makes you wonder....

That is odd. I read in Lunker Lure about what you stated about the 74 DD'S transplanted into the wolf pack. So the 5.5 would have been roughly 2 years old? ..I live in the northeast (which isnt the right state for my obsession) and its a whole different scenario up here.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:35 AM

I don't get the "High fence Hater" mentality. Hunting, fishing, or anything within reason. Short of shooting a deer litterally in a 20 sq/ft pin or catching a 18 on bass out of a bath tub.

The haters that claim there is no "sport" extremely hypocritical.

Unless you are fishing out of a hand dug canoe, with a gut string line you wove fishing with a cane you hand cut you have no room to talk. Same thing with hunting. Don't criticize Someone shooting a 200" deer in a 6,000 acre game ranch unless you hunt horseback with a bow you made with your own hands and a flint knapped broad head.

"Hey that guy caught that DD out of Camelot bell is BS, anyone can do that where's the sport in that" then the next weekend he's using his 450$ rod that could feel a fish fart from 100 yards looking at his dual 16" Carbon's while his spotlock holds him in place so he doesn't even have to hold his boat in the wind fishing.

Same thing with deer hunters. "Where's the sport in hunting high fence". Yea well where's the sport in sitting in a blind, under a feeder, with a high powered rifle and scope.

I do both of these things btw, but I don't knock the high fence guys because we all do something that others may seem less sporty.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:49 AM

That is odd. I read in Lunker Lure about what you stated about the 74 DD'S transplanted into the wolf pack. So the 5.5 would have been roughly 2 years old? ..I live in the northeast (which isnt the right state for my obsession) and its a whole different scenario up here.

The exact timetable is up for debate. Supposedly 12 very large males (5-7.5#) were placed in the lake as it was filling in fall of 2015. Mike started adding DD females as they were caught in Winter of 2015 and all through 2016 and 2017.

Mike started letting folks fish the WP in Fall of 2016. These 2.5 to 3.5# fish started showing up in numbers. There were never any fish in this size range placed in the lake. They looked like very young fish with the mouth of a much smaller fish but with overblown bodies.

I fished the lake for the first time on April 19, 2017 and caught a bunch of them in the 5 pound class, with the biggest being 5.5. That is why I say "evidence" points to the first year fish in WP growing as much as 5.5# in their first year.

The real test IMO will be this spring. If 8 to 9 pounders start showing up in numbers we will know.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Clark3
I don't get the "High fence Hater" mentality. Hunting, fishing, or anything within reason. Short of shooting a deer litterally in a 20 sq/ft pin or catching a 18 on bass out of a bath tub.

Unless you are fishing out of a hand dug canoe, with a gut string line you wove fishing with a cane you hand cut you have no room to talk. Same thing with hunting. Don't criticize Someone shooting a 200" deer in a 6,000 acre game ranch unless you hunt horseback with a bow you made with your own hands and a flint knapped broad head.

"Hey that guy caught that DD out of Camelot bell is BS, anyone can do that where's the sport in that" then the next weekend he's using his 450$ rod that could feel a fish fart from 100 yards looking at his dual 16" Carbon's while his spotlock holds him in place so he doesn't even have to hold his boat in the wind fishing.

Same thing with deer hunters. "Where's the sport in hunting high fence". Yea well where's the sport in sitting in a blind, under a feeder, with a high powered rifle and scope.

I do both of these things btw, but I don't knock the high fence guys because we all do something that others may seem less sporty.

cheers

thumb

wink
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:54 AM

I have been once a couple springs ago and I am grateful for the experience!

To the naysayers, if you think it's "shooting fish in a barrel" you are mistaken. Those fish are finicky as any fish on the planet. We hit it at a good time in March during a stable day between a lot of fronts and the fishing was tough for sure. I would like a another crack at it one day, maybe I will be able to go, maybe not.

To me the best part of the day was the conversation with Mike and Chris on ride to and from Mexia and during lunch. Mike's knowledge of how to grow big fish and their behavior is amazing.

If you can make it happen, you'll enjoy the time just knowing what you can potentially catch and also visiting with Mike.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 01:13 AM

Had the pleasure to fish this a couple years ago due to a very gracious forum member on this thread. I think our best 5 went over 40 pounds and I caught my personal best of 11 pounds. That place is pretty special!
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 01:14 AM

I was told this used to be a place they farm raised catfish for chain restaurants, now they sell trophy bass fishing, odd

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 01:16 AM

The exact timetable is up for debate. Supposedly 12 very large males (5-7.5#) were placed in the lake as it was filling in fall of 2015. Mike started adding DD females as they were caught in Winter of 2015 and all through 2016 and 2017.

Mike started letting folks fish the WP in Fall of 2016. These 2.5 to 3.5# fish started showing up in numbers. There were never any fish in this size range placed in the lake. They looked like very young fish with the mouth of a much smaller fish but with overblown bodies.

I fished the lake for the first time on April 19, 2017 and caught a bunch of them in the 5 pound class, with the biggest being 5.5. That is why I say "evidence" points to the first year fish in WP growing as much as 5.5# in their first year.

The real test IMO will be this spring. If 8 to 9 pounders start showing up in numbers we will know.

That is insane genetics and buffet like food availability. I saw where the Camelot bass are thick right down to there tail. I'll be anxious to hear the spring updates.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman
I was told this used to be a place they farm raised catfish for chain restaurants, now they sell trophy bass fishing, odd

You heard wrong sir.

As a matter of fact there is not a catfish in the lake, nor crappie nor any other kind of fish other than bass, threadfin shad and coppernose bluegill. He has stocked rainbow trout a few times and tilapia to add to the forage base but there is nothing in the lake to compete with the bass.

There are maybe a half dozen grass carp in the lake that are four feet long now, probably 50 pounds. You will occasionally see them cruising the shallows eating grass.

Mike took special care when he built the lake to make sure there were no lakes below it or above it that could rise and flood into it thereby diluting the gene pool. That is another thing that makes the lake so special. The Florida genes remain pure.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 02:28 AM

Did the cold winter cause a shad die off?

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 02:37 AM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

Good question. I am sure it did to an extent. I will ask Mike how it affected his lakes.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 02:40 AM

Maybe someday!! It sounds incredible Ken! Fouzman...100 x $1500 = holy smokes. Are you a Rockefeller? LOL!
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 02:41 AM

I think most guys problem with CB is that they can't afford to fish it, so anything record wise or PB wise don't register with them, as most of the public can't fish it.
I really don't have a position with it, unless a state record was recognized from CB or any other private lake. I felt the same way, years ago about Echo.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 02:44 AM

I would love to fish CB but I cannot afford it, going to have to stick to Ray Roberts and Texoma. grin
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 02:54 AM

I can afford to fish it, but I'd choose not to spend $1500 to fish a little lake for a day. Ridiculous, IMO.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I can afford to fish it, but I'd choose not to spend $1500 to fish a little lake for a day. Ridiculous, IMO.

Im the same but I'm sure one of these days I'll go, I've done worse things with a hell of a lot more money than 1500$.
Posted By: Pintail711

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 03:53 AM

How does he combat over population?

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 03:56 AM

Originally Posted By: Pintail711

Every fish under 7# comes out. He either sells them or puts them in his brothers lake down the road.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: fivebites
Maybe someday!! It sounds incredible Ken! Fouzman...100 x $1500 = holy smokes. Are you a Rockefeller? LOL!

Chris bought Bitcoin early wink

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 06:02 AM

Originally Posted By: Bossbowman

You heard wrong sir.

As a matter of fact there is not a catfish in the lake, nor crappie nor any other kind of fish other than bass, threadfin shad and coppernose bluegill. He has stocked rainbow trout a few times and tilapia to add to the forage base but there is nothing in the lake to compete with the bass.

There are maybe a half dozen grass carp in the lake that are four feet long now, probably 50 pounds. You will occasionally see them cruising the shallows eating grass.

Mike took special care when he built the lake to make sure there were no lakes below it or above it that could rise and flood into it thereby diluting the gene pool. That is another thing that makes the lake so special. The Florida genes remain pure.

Rotenone can clean out any lake to re-stock to your hearts desire, if that place wasn't the catfish farm there was one right next to if there on 171 on that side of Coolidge.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 10:18 AM

I've been twice, the first trip there were 2 fish in 8 hours... a 10 and 11 both caught by my wife. Mike and I both zeroed. The second time I was with a very good friend and Kelly Jordan, my best 5 that day were north of 45 lbs and lost a 15+ at the boat... the darn hook just popped out. If you do get a chance to go try and absorb as much of what Mike has to say, the man is a big bass mad scientist that has made his lakes from scratch specifically to produce giants. His philosophy is different than any others you'll find. "Be the gar".
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 10:25 AM

I would go and drink beer and use big shiners
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 12:15 PM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite
Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Im the same but I'm sure one of these days I'll go, I've done worse things with a hell of a lot more money than 1500$.

I coulda went and had money left over for what I paid for that Ultrex last week but I've already caught one over 14# from Fork and that Ultrex is the best thing that happened to a bass boat. May help me catch another one who knows. Camelot Bell is not plug and play from what I hear from Ken so there's no guarantee I'm gonna best my 14. thumb
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 02:10 PM

I've been twice. I wrote a chapter on the experience in my last book. Both times I fished it I was with a fellow TFF member who knew the lake like the back of his hand.

The first day we boated probably 40 fish. Top 3 were 5lbs, 8lbs, and 10.5lbs. Everything else was 3.5lbs or under. We fished HARD for 12 hours. There was a short window that opened up around 3pm and the lake just came alive. That's when I caught the 10.5.

The second trip was similar. I boated 2 over 8lbs and a bunch of smaller fish. No DD's. My best guess is that on a great day where the stars align a solid fisherman has a 50/50 shot at a DD fish in 12 hours of grinding. If the lake is fishing tough I think it's less than 10%.

Overall great lake and the owner is a walking big bass encyclopedia. It is a significant gamble though if you are solely looking for a DD.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 03:14 PM

Is $1500 per person or would that be up to 2 people?

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 03:49 PM

$750 each.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 03:52 PM

$1,000 for one person, $1,500 for two.
Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 03:57 PM

Originally Posted By: Clark3

cheers

thumb

wink

Very well said. coach
Posted By: HARD WORKN HAROLD

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 04:28 PM

Every one know bass fishing is easy, it's got to be way easier on private waters, just sayn bolt
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 04:56 PM

Food for thought.... I also can't afford to go but my wife bought me a trip for my birthday. Mike rescheduled my trip three or four times which was such a heartbreaker because as he said, the fish weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing. On your first trip, he will go to great lengths to be sure you have a $1500 experience. It was hard to trust him but it sure paid off.

Fouz and Ken helped me with bait choices and Mike is your guide on the lake. My buddy and I both broke our PBs with a 12, an 11, two 10s and a 7 we just couldn't cull. It seemed like a "slow" day if you know what I mean. You aren't catching fish from sun up to sun down. You are there for THE BITE. Sometimes you'll fish all day and don't get it and you need to know that's part of the deal. Those huge Florida beauties are temperamental.

Many folks have tried to do what Mike has done and fallen short. CB can turn your zero to hero unlike any other.

Book a trip if you're able.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 06:48 PM

Good question. I am sure it did to an extent. I will ask Mike how it affected his lakes.

It's been much colder longer, previously. The threadfin and gizzard shad survived and had astounding spawns, thereafter. I'm sure many die, but many more survive. The Bell has a large area 18' deep where most of the shad winter. Wolfpack's big, deep spot by the dam is 20 something. I want to say 27', but I don't remember. I can tell you that there were a blue bazillion threadfins stacked up in that area three weeks ago. I'm sure they survived just fine.
Posted By: 786

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 08:41 PM

In my opinion, a 5.5 pound one year old largemouth bass is almost unbelievable growth. The only way to tell would be to read the otoliths of a sample of bass from the under 7 pounders that you said are routinely removed. If they are growing that fast, it really ought to be properly evaluated.
Posted By: txstoby

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 08:48 PM

What is the name of the lake in S TX? The pvt lake that Jordan Shipley promoted?
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: txstoby
What is the name of the lake in S TX? The pvt lake that Jordan Shipley promoted?

La Perla Ranch.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 09:01 PM

Growth to 3.5 lbs in a single year has been previously documented in Florida. Mike had DD bass 5 years after releasing his original stock in Camelot Bell. I believe he'll get his first natural born DD in the Wolf Pack lake in year 4 this go round. Jalisco has 3 year old fish that have been documented in excess of 7 lbs. Largemouth bass are murderous creatures capable of incredible growth under the right circumstances.
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 09:48 PM

It’s the fact you have to pay 1500.00 to fish there so no it isn’t the same as public lake:
J D stir
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 10:16 PM

Catching a big fish is still a big fish. I don't care if it's a public lake or private. I wish i could afford a day out there.
Posted By: Chris B

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 10:27 PM

I'd love to spend a day out there. No hate here.
Posted By: jwcromer

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 10:43 PM

IF I had the money,I would fish there,but I would not hunt a high fence
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 10:43 PM

Someone asked earlier and I didn't see the answer. I am curious what the rates are for Camelot Bell, is the $1500 rate for 1-2 people or per person? No rates are listed on their site. If so it's way cheaper and way closer than La Perla. I could swing $1500 once every 3 years, but $4,000 at La Perla. Not going to be able to do that.

Also is what are the other great pay to play lakes in Texas besides Camelot Bell and La Perla ??
Posted By: Dubee

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: jwcromer

Why not hunt HF. They aren't all canned hunts.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 11:33 PM

The only way I would hunt would be a paid deal like a high fence. Not one where they come up to the truck but somewhere I knew I was going to get a big buck. I could fish the bell for a LONG time with all the money I've spent on fishing, a LONG time. I still don't see it like a public lake but I don't hate on it either

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/29/18 11:35 PM

Pretty sure according to earlier postings that it's $1000 for one person and $1500 for two.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 12:45 AM

Originally Posted By: basscaster46
It’s the fact you have to pay 1500.00 to fish there so no it isn’t the same as public lake:
J D stir

You have to pay 450$-500$ to fish with a guide a Rayburn. If you catch a DD or lake record or a tagged fish and win money should it not count because you paid 550$ to fish with a guide?

Money is a very relative thing.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: LakeForkGroupie
Someone asked earlier and I didn't see the answer. I am curious what the rates are for Camelot Bell, is the $1500 rate for 1-2 people or per person? No rates are listed on their site. If so it's way cheaper and way closer than La Perla. I could swing $1500 once every 3 years, but $4,000 at La Perla. Not going to be able to do that.

Also is what are the other great pay to play lakes in Texas besides Camelot Bell and La Perla ??

You have 5 star lodging, meals, beverages and lots of other fun things to do at La Perla. Over several days, as I don't think Dr. Gary does day trips. Who will be the first (other than Dr. Schwarz and TPWD) to fish Jalisco Lake in a few years? As for other great pay lakes in Texas, I only know of one similar to CB. Don't ask grin
Posted By: Deps

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 01:08 AM

I appreciate all the input guys. I’m currently looking for someone to join me in mid march. If you’re interested message me.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 01:14 AM

Do you have a firm date, deps? If it's a Saturday, I'll jump on it if no one else does. Great offer, btw. Prime time and split the daily rate.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By: fouzman

You have 5 star lodging, meals, beverages and lots of other fun things to do at La Perla. Over several days, as I don't think Dr. Gary does day trips. Who will be the first (other than Dr. Schwarz and TPWD) to fish Jalisco Lake in a few years? As for other great pay lakes in Texas, I only know of one similar to CB. Don't ask grin

Jalisco has about 10 or so more years until it's free from TWPD? The suspense is goingto be over the top.
Posted By: TX Strampion

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 02:07 AM

I never knew much about it til I hung out with jerseydan at Falcon in 2014. I fished it that summer and caught one a little over 10. I haven't been back but I'll go this summer if I don't end my DD slump by the end of July.
Posted By: redmojo

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 02:22 AM

Any clue what name shows up on credit card statement? Can't have the wife kill me before I get to fish it.

Thanks, yes I'm serious! haha

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 02:34 AM

Originally Posted By: redmojo
Any clue what name shows up on credit card statement? Can't have the wife kill me before I get to fish it.

Maybe they are as good as strip joints at hiding it.

Wife "what is RETNorth"
Me auto parts store
Posted By: SteveHummert

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 02:47 AM

Deps, PM sent
Posted By: Dr JL

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 05:17 AM

Pm sent.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 05:44 AM

Originally Posted By: 21xs Elite
This thread just turned to total chit in a hurry. The OP didn't ask for opinions about HF fishing, he ask who's been there and how it was. bang this is getting as bad as the drama over on THF.

Wow so there is MORE drama on THF?
I gotta check it out!

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 01:13 PM

It shows Camelot Bell
Posted By: bassmanrudy

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 01:23 PM

In Marshall Texas there is Heartland 10/10 Ranch. 4 lakes that have been managed for trophy bass. They are stocked with what they called "Tiger bass" so they are super aggressive and they grow rapidly! Electro shocking there has yielded a 16lber! The rates were like $500 for up to 3 people so not bad at all IMO. You can change lakes too but Craig will suggest what lake has been the "hottest" and what lures to use and all. I've been 4xs now and some days its pure numbers of fish and some days its slower but some good ones. Biggest so far has been my sister's 11.75lb bass!!
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: bassmanrudy

In Marshall Texas there is Heartland 10/10 Ranch. 4 lakes that have been managed for trophy bass. They are stocked with what they called "Tiger bass" so they are super aggressive and they grow rapidly! Electro shocking there has yielded a 16lber! The rates were like $500 for up to 3 people so not bad at all IMO. You can change lakes too but Craig will suggest what lake has been the "hottest" and what lures to use and all. I've been 4xs now and some days its pure numbers of fish and some days its slower but some good ones. Biggest so far has been my sister's 11.75lb bass!!

Thank you Bassmanrudy and thank you Fousman for the answers.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 04:05 PM

APOLOGY.....

When I said it is like HF hunting....I know it is not a put and take situation at CB. There are no guarantees and you still have to catch them.

What I wanted to express is a PB at CB is not the same as a PB on a public lake. For several years, my biggest fish was from a private lake and when someone asked me what my biggest fish was....I would stipulate 9.5 from private and 9.0 public. To me there is a difference.

I apologize for detracting from anyone’s enjoyment.

In my defense......I was responding to some replies that were deleted while I was responding. With those deleted.....it looks like I was the first to bring up HF fishing.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 04:09 PM

That's why TPWD has categories for public and private water State Record Largemouths.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 04:18 PM

That's why TPWD has categories for public and private water State Record Largemouths.

Exactly

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 04:24 PM

I've helped farm 40+ acres, that's a pretty darn good size patch. Trying to pin the tail on a Donkey in an area that large, holds some amount of credibility imo...
I'm just sorry I'll never get the opportunity, you guys that have caught some bigg'un from there, deserve all you can claim... Awesome place to fish from what I can see, you would have to be nuts to pass it up... cheers

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 04:38 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSkeeter

I'm just sorry I'll never get the opportunity,

I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 04:50 PM

It shows Camelot Bell

Haha even sounds like a strip club..

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 04:51 PM

Great lol another ranch to look into for fishing. I see you mentioned the rates but I don't see any on their site. Sounds like a cheaper trip but less chance of (if the stars line up) a possible mid teener bass or a couple 10's.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/30/18 05:03 PM

It shows Camelot Bell

Lol. It really does. Somebody's wife is gonna be pissed
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 02:38 AM

To fish Camelot with my Son is on my bucket list.

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 03:22 AM

I've helped farm 40+ acres, that's a pretty darn good size patch. Trying to pin the tail on a Donkey in an area that large, holds some amount of credibility imo...
I'm just sorry I'll never get the opportunity, you guys that have caught some bigg'un from there, deserve all you can claim... Awesome place to fish from what I can see, you would have to be nuts to pass it up... cheers

Come on Billy, I will take you to fish there fish
Posted By: redmojo

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 03:33 AM

I would be better off telling her it was as strip club, trust me. I just ordered 4 new rods and accidentally sent them to the house instead of the lake cabin and that was a bad experience to say the least! Can't believe I screwed that one up. She says I have a problem, every year before the tournaments start I have to do a big project for her. Last year I build her a wine room! I don't even drink wine but it shut her up for a while...

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 01:33 PM

Great lol another ranch to look into for fishing. I see you mentioned the rates but I don't see any on their site. Sounds like a cheaper trip but less chance of (if the stars line up) a possible mid teener bass or a couple 10's.

sent you a PM. I didn't make it there last year(fished it thanksgiving of 2016) but those rates were good as of then.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 02:53 PM

Man, some of yalls wives give you a lot of chit...i hope my fiance does not transform into that, she has been supportive of my fishing so far... then again if i told her i dropped $1000 to go fish a lake she would be puzzled

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: steve hummert

Two of the finest men I know, no doubt, thanks guys, yesterday taught me I'm about a yr out... Only a yr, drop in the bucket right... banana

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: UTDmiller
Man, some of y'all's wives give you a lot of chit...i hope my fiancé does not transform into that, she has been supportive of my fishing so far... then again if i told her i dropped $1000 to go fish a lake she would be puzzled

Mine encourages me to buy more fishing stuff.

She always says you can never have too much of what you love to do...

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 04:28 PM

^^^^ you have a bad*** significant other!! best keep her! banana

Re: Camelot bell? - 01/31/18 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: steve hummert

Two of the finest men I know, no doubt, thanks guys, yesterday taught me I'm about a yr out... Only a yr, drop in the bucket right... banana

Good for you, get to feeling better and we will make it happen
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/02/18 02:32 AM

Originally Posted By: the skipper

The only way I would hunt would be a paid deal like a high fence. Not one where they come up to the truck but somewhere I knew I was going to get a big buck. I could fish the bell for a LONG time with all the money I've spent on fishing, a LONG time. I still don't see it like a public lake but I don't hate on it either

Don’t hate it either just don’t see it the same .
Would like to fish it but way to much wife would kill me.
JD
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/02/18 04:24 AM

flehan

That's why everyone loves you man.... Billy would sure deserve it!
Posted By: Rocky Robison

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/03/18 08:25 AM

Ken, Chris, Steve, or Dr JL, y'all visit it more frequently than anyone else on here. Do any of y'all know if Mike still does the discounted 3 or 5 time visit package in a year?

Billy if he does offer this, I'm going to purchase one, for $500 extra a trip I'm gonna ask each one of these guys to go on a trip so I can pick their brains if they'll go and learn all they'll spill if anything, then you and I will go, maybe more than once.
I might have to take Kay once, I owe her as much as I owe you for being there for me when I needed it!

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/03/18 02:17 PM

It shows Camelot Bell

roflmao

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/03/18 02:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris B
I'd love to spend a day out there. No hate here.

I used to fish at Trout Farms

All you had to do was hold a bare hook above the water and they would jump out to get it

It was kinda fun...........
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/03/18 02:35 PM

It shows Camelot Bell

Every time I hear that word "Camelot Bell", it reminds me of an old hotel in Tulsa that was called Camelot Inn. It actually was a place of ill repute. It's nickname was "Cramelot Inn". I bet BigBob knew of it very well...... bolt

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/03/18 03:07 PM

God willing I'll try to get there.. it's pretty sad for 10 yrs I've tried to get Kay on a DD here at Fork, I'm certain she has hooked up with a few, everything has to be just right to land one that big. selfishly, so I could get a double mount of her fish and biggun I caught. The Bell seems to be the best option to achieve that goal.. think about how much cash you would spend chasing that monster fish over a 10 year period.. I say, it's worth the price of admission in my case.
Rocky.. cheers

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/04/18 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Rocky Robison
Ken, Chris, Steve, or Dr JL, y'all visit it more frequently than anyone else on here. Do any of y'all know if Mike still does the discounted 3 or 5 time visit package in a year?

Billy if he does offer this, I'm going to purchase one, for $500 extra a trip I'm gonna ask each one of these guys to go on a trip so I can pick their brains if they'll go and learn all they'll spill if anything, then you and I will go, maybe more than once.
I might have to take Kay once, I owe her as much as I owe you for being there for me when I needed it!

Sent you a PM Rocky

Re: Camelot bell? - 02/04/18 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

It shows Camelot Bell

Every time I hear that word "Camelot Bell", it reminds me of an old hotel in Tulsa that was called Camelot Inn. It actually was a place of ill repute. It's nickname was "Cramelot Inn". I bet BigBob knew of it very well...... bolt

roflmao
Posted By: gt2003

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/14/21 03:54 PM

Who's been here recently? Am considering putting a small group together to head that way. Is one lake better than the other? Would love to hear some recent experiences!
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/14/21 04:35 PM

I was there 2 weeks ago. Honestly I feel like its a crapshoot as far as size versus numbers right now. We went right after a cold front (lows dipped to 36) and it didn't seem to affect how many we caught on the Bell although the biggest fish we caught were about 6.5 lbs. Honestly for the price I would just keep on driving and book a few days with Matt Reed or any of the other reputable guides on Falcon...
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/14/21 07:30 PM

Wow,

Reading back on the last page of this post just about brought me to tears.

Rest in Peace Billy!!

Originally Posted by RedSkeeter
God willing I'll try to get there.. it's pretty sad for 10 yrs I've tried to get Kay on a DD here at Fork, I'm certain she has hooked up with a few, everything has to be just right to land one that big. selfishly, so I could get a double mount of her fish and biggun I caught. The Bell seems to be the best option to achieve that goal.. think about how much cash you would spend chasing that monster fish over a 10 year period.. I say, it's worth the price of admission in my case.
Rocky.. cheers
Posted By: Hook'em79

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/15/21 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by Fish Killer
Wow,

Reading back on the last page of this post just about brought me to tears.

Rest in Peace Billy!!

Rocky.. cheers

Did he and Kay get to go?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/15/21 09:01 AM

I do not believe so

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/15/21 10:02 AM

Rocky.. cheers

Wish you were here brother. I left you on the mod staff just in case you ever want to drop in and say hello.

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/15/21 10:30 AM

That's a good goal for us. Let's do what we can to get Kay on a DD. Yo Mahfouz!
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/15/21 01:12 PM

Just an update on Camelot Bell. My buddy Craig Dowis and Larry Walker were there yesterday and Craig caught the lake record on the new Wolfpack Lake there at Camelot Bell. It weighed 13.13 lbs. They caught 65 to 70 fish and Craig's next 4 biggest fish weighed 9.6, 8.6, 8.4 and 8.2 which would have been almost 48 lb 5 fish stringer. What a great day they had.

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/15/21 01:14 PM

Thanks for the info! Sounds like the new lake is going strong!

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by TBassYates
Just an update on Camelot Bell. My buddy Craig Dowis and Larry Walker were there yesterday and Craig caught the lake record on the new Wolfpack Lake there at Camelot Bell. It weighed 13.13 lbs. They caught 65 to 70 fish and Craig's next 4 biggest fish weighed 9.6, 8.6, 8.4 and 8.2 which would have been almost 48 lb 5 fish stringer. What a great day they had.

Here she is!!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jacksonmj

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 03:11 AM

Wow is all I can say of that bass

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 03:15 AM

Look at those eyes!

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 03:17 AM

Originally Posted by J.P. Greeson
That's a good goal for us. Let's do what we can to get Kay on a DD. Yo Mahfouz!

I’ll donate to that cause JP.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ken A.

Here she is!!

[Linked Image]

Oh my

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 04:06 PM

Just WOW! Hard to beat that fish or stringer!

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 04:28 PM

It's important to have your expectations calibrated before going to CB. In the best years I think there is about a 50/50 chance at a DD bass between 2 guys fishing 10 hours. In a bad year it might be 10%. I follow Mikes lakes pretty closely. From what I can tell this year about 25% of the time a DD is caught. About 50% of the time they are getting a couple solid fish between 5 - 9.9, but no DD's, and about 25% of the time they are getting nothing but small males.

These lakes have big fish in them, but it is not high fence hunting. Even if you are an accomplished angler, the fish still has to bite. On an hour for hour acre for acre basis I know of no better place to go catch a DD, but it is far from a guarantee. The cost is a personal risk/reward decision for everyone and mileage will vary.

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 04:52 PM

Agree with everything you just posted @Jpurdue . I think I could justify the trip at least once in my life provided I can find 1, maybe 2 more people to make the trip with me. Traveling from the Tulsa area so it doesn't look like it's too bad of a trip. I have to get an upcoming trout trip out of the way first then I can put some real thought into it!
Posted By: banker-always fishing

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/16/21 07:13 PM

Here she is!!

[Linked Image]

Nice fish. cheers
Posted By: PieFiller1

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/19/21 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by Pintail711

Every fish under 7# comes out. He either sells them or puts them in his brothers lake down the road.

What's it cost to fish his brothers lake????

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/19/21 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by PieFiller1
Originally Posted by Pintail711

What's it cost to fish his brothers lake????

His brother does not allow folks to fish.

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/19/21 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Jpurdue
It's important to have your expectations calibrated before going to CB. In the best years I think there is about a 50/50 chance at a DD bass between 2 guys fishing 10 hours. In a bad year it might be 10%. I follow Mikes lakes pretty closely. From what I can tell this year about 25% of the time a DD is caught. About 50% of the time they are getting a couple solid fish between 5 - 9.9, but no DD's, and about 25% of the time they are getting nothing but small males.

These lakes have big fish in them, but it is not high fence hunting. Even if you are an accomplished angler, the fish still has to bite. On an hour for hour acre for acre basis I know of no better place to go catch a DD, but it is far from a guarantee. The cost is a personal risk/reward decision for everyone and mileage will vary.

Well said Josh. If you think the 12# bass jump in the boat with you because you plunked down the dough you'd be wrong. I've been on WP twice this spring and three times on CB and have not landed a DD yet. My personal best fish this spring season is 9.53 from CB.

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/20/21 02:48 PM

On an 'average day', if there is one, how many fish in the 5-8# range might someone expect to catch? Obviously I'd love a DD fish but catching a decent number of nice fish would make it well worth it.
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/20/21 03:22 PM

Originally Posted by gt2003
On an 'average day', if there is one, how many fish in the 5-8# range might someone expect to catch? Obviously I'd love a DD fish but catching a decent number of nice fish would make it well worth it.

I was there 3 weeks ago the morning of a pretty severe cold front on CB and my biggest 4 were 6.61, 6.42, 4.38, 3.92 and I'd say I caught between 20-25 fish total.
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/20/21 04:57 PM

Serious question, does a bass on private water actually count as a PB? I have never counted my PB as one that I caught on a ranch, it had to be public water.

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/20/21 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by WLBDallas
Serious question, does a bass on private water actually count as a PB? I have never counted my PB as one that I caught on a ranch, it had to be public water.

As far as I am aware there are no laws on what a man can count as his PB. Some folks are going to be perfectly comfortable counting a private water fish as a PB others are not. Does it count as a PB if you used a guide? What about electronics? What if you use a $1,200 rod and reel casted from a 80K bass boat? Is that PB less meaningful than an kids caught from the bank on a cane pole?

Nobody had a problem counting fish from Lake Dixon in CA as a PB. It's tiny... 70 acres, and while technically public, access was highly limited. I'm not sure how CB is fundamentally different. In some sense it is open to the public. Anyone who pays the fee can fish it. Yes the fee is high, but so are boat payments.

Bottom-line is different strokes for different folks. I say if you are proud of it, count it!
Posted By: WLBDallas

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/20/21 09:18 PM

As far as I am aware there are no laws on what a man can count as his PB. Some folks are going to be perfectly comfortable counting a private water fish as a PB others are not. Does it count as a PB if you used a guide? What about electronics? What if you use a $1,200 rod and reel casted from a 80K bass boat? Is that PB less meaningful than an kids caught from the bank on a cane pole?

Nobody had a problem counting fish from Lake Dixon in CA as a PB. It's tiny... 70 acres, and while technically public, access was highly limited. I'm not sure how CB is fundamentally different. In some sense it is open to the public. Anyone who pays the fee can fish it. Yes the fee is high, but so are boat payments.

Bottom-line is different strokes for different folks. I say if you are proud of it, count it!

No argument here, just figured I'd throw it out there. I couldn't go there and stick a big one and feel like I had accomplished something. Catch a DD in Lewisville, Ray Roberts, or any other public lake and I'd say it quite an accomplishment.
Posted By: 68Sixstringer

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/28/21 12:52 AM

I just got back from there (fished 4/25 and 4/26 2021). First two days after a cold front with thunderstorms. Caught 65 on Saturday including a 5.5, 6.3, and 8.5, and then about 30 on Sunday including a 7.5 and 9.2. I didn’t catch my pb there, but still had a great time. Mike was a great host. Cabins and campers on site. Big fish aren’t guaranteed, and you still have to know how to fish, but the odds are WAY better. Bottom line, I can’t wait to go back!

Re: Camelot bell? - 04/28/21 01:48 AM

Originally Posted by 68Sixstringer
I just got back from there (fished 4/25 and 4/26 2021). First two days after a cold front with thunderstorms. Caught 65 on Saturday including a 5.5, 6.3, and 8.5, and then about 30 on Sunday including a 7.5 and 9.2. I didn’t catch my pb there, but still had a great time. Mike was a great host. Cabins and campers on site. Big fish aren’t guaranteed, and you still have to know how to fish, but the odds are WAY better. Bottom line, I can’t wait to go back!

Sounds like a pretty good trip!
Posted By: Travis McBacklash

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/16/21 07:55 PM

There is some great input here! Has anyone been since it got hot lately or have summer pattern info? My buddy and I are going on June 27 for my birthday and we have a few other good reasons to celebrate. - I don't see a lot of summer videos but most all the youtube videos show guys throwing crankbaits or flukes. What else do you throw? We are fishing Camelot Bell, not Wolf Pack if it matters.

How clear is the water? Will they hit a spook or pop-r on top water early and late? Frogs? Buzzbaits? Texas or Carolina rig? Wacky rig? Drop shot or too much grass? Jigs and Chatterbaits? How tough is the grass, can you punch it? Would you use a leader with braid or just straight braid? Do you need good electronics or is it small enough you just fish the fishy spots and take all day doing it? We're renting their boat and getting a guide (might be their son) for at least part of the day, so that should alleviate some of the brand newness. It's going to be hot, but we plan to fish it hard pretty much all day from the time they allow us on the property until they kick us out. I only have a small handful of crankbaits, so if I need to buy something specific I certainly will. Thank you all for sharing!

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/16/21 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by Travis McBacklash
There is some great input here! Has anyone been since it got hot lately or have summer pattern info? My buddy and I are going on June 27 for my birthday and we have a few other good reasons to celebrate. - I don't see a lot of summer videos but most all the youtube videos show guys throwing crankbaits or flukes. What else do you throw? We are fishing Camelot Bell, not Wolf Pack if it matters.

How clear is the water? Will they hit a spook or pop-r on top water early and late? Frogs? Buzzbaits? Texas or Carolina rig? Wacky rig? Drop shot or too much grass? Jigs and Chatterbaits? How tough is the grass, can you punch it? Would you use a leader with braid or just straight braid? Do you need good electronics or is it small enough you just fish the fishy spots and take all day doing it? We're renting their boat and getting a guide (might be their son) for at least part of the day, so that should alleviate some of the brand newness. It's going to be hot, but we plan to fish it hard pretty much all day from the time they allow us on the property until they kick us out. I only have a small handful of crankbaits, so if I need to buy something specific I certainly will. Thank you all for sharing!

Give me a shout. Happy to help
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/16/21 08:20 PM

Man 1 day I'd love to fish this place.

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/17/21 01:50 PM

Thank you Ken, your kindness is greatly appreciated! My theory here is if you want to catch big fish (and I do), it helps to go where they are.

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/17/21 02:02 PM

Thank you Ken, your kindness is greatly appreciated! My theory here is if you want to catch big fish (and I do), it helps to go where they are.

Yes sir you are welcome. I love helping folks catch their PB's. There are some legit Giants in CB.

I caught one in Jan 2012 that actually bottomed out a 15# Boga Grip and we had to get a 30# set to weigh her.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/17/21 03:06 PM

Yes sir you are welcome. I love helping folks catch their PB's. There are some legit Giants in CB.

I caught one in Jan 2012 that actually bottomed out a 15# Boga Grip and we had to get a 30# set to weigh her.

So what did she weigh?
Posted By: Chis D

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/17/21 05:39 PM

No argument here, just figured I'd throw it out there. I couldn't go there and stick a big one and feel like I had accomplished something. Catch a DD in Lewisville, Ray Roberts, or any other public lake and I'd say it quite an accomplishment.

I understand the thought, but I think it is all about perspective. I could say it is not an accomplishment to catch PB on public lake that kicks-out big fish. I don't believe that, it's still a PB, but you can make a qualifier for whatever you want. It's what you want it to be. I am happier knowing I figured out a pattern and catching solid sized fish for a given lake than randomly sticking a big fish. But, then again, I don't find a need to advertise my catches to anyone except me (and possibly my wife and close fishing buddies) - I don't do it for the internet.

But, to the gist of the post, Camelot Bell would be a great experience. Would love to have the opportunity to fish it.

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/19/21 03:13 PM

If you love bass fishing how could you not want to fish it? I feel very lucky to get to go and I absolutely agree it's relative - that's why PB starts with "personal." Anyone who wants multiple classes of personal best is free to delineate. I don't fish so I can brag about the biggest fish I caught. I fish because it's good for my soul and I absolutely love the mental exercise of trying to figure out patterns, seasons, baits, where the biggest bass in the lake is, what it wants and then trying to catch it. It's like natures' rubix cube. Having said that, I don't think the state record should ever be recognized from a privately owned 30-40 acre fish farm.

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/20/21 05:16 PM

If you love bass fishing how could you not want to fish it? I feel very lucky to get to go and I absolutely agree it's relative - that's why PB starts with "personal." Anyone who wants multiple classes of personal best is free to delineate. I don't fish so I can brag about the biggest fish I caught. I fish because it's good for my soul and I absolutely love the mental exercise of trying to figure out patterns, seasons, baits, where the biggest bass in the lake is, what it wants and then trying to catch it. It's like natures' rubix cube. Having said that, I don't think the state record should ever be recognized from a privately owned 30-40 acre fish farm.

Agreed. thumb

Also the State Record from private waters is 15.74

Public is 18.18 from Fork
Posted By: ToasterWEyes

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/20/21 05:30 PM

Well said, and I like that. Nature’s rubix cube.

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/20/21 07:00 PM

Thank you Toaster, unfortunately many times it's like a rubix cube where someone moved the stickers and now it can't be solved, lol. Ken, that 18.18 is holding up good isn't it?

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/20/21 07:12 PM

Agreed. thumb

Also the State Record from private waters is 15.74

Public is 18.18 from Fork

Well put and obviously the record for public and private is separate anyway as Ken notes. Fishing at a place like Bell is a ton of fun!
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/21/21 01:07 PM

How's the fishing during these dog days for those of you that have been?

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/27/21 03:56 PM

We went yesterday and it was pretty tough sledding. Biggest fish was 6.9, biggest 5 fish weighed about 20 pounds. Wind was steady at 20 gusting to 30 and bluebird skies most of the day. There was a cancellation so we ended up fishing both lakes with similar results. Caught mostly culls. Big fish were not into it. They had really been catching them just a few days before and that's how it goes. We plan our fishing trips when we can go, and hope they're biting. We took our shot.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/27/21 05:20 PM

Rather go to Baccarac😀

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/27/21 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by forkduc
Rather go to Baccarac😀

I want to fish them all...
Posted By: Techfisher

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/27/21 06:33 PM

To the guy that went 100 times and dropped 150K....are you adopting...???...:)
Posted By: Captain Break-Off

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/29/21 06:35 PM

One thing that I keep seeing said on here about fishing CB, is that "I just can't afford it". The simple truth is this, most everyone on here if not everyone, could afford to go and fish CB. It would just be a matter of priority and a few daily changes that would impact your life almost none at all. If you go to Starbucks, make a few less trips per year, if you smoke, buy a few less packs, if play the Lotto, get fewer tickets, etc., etc. The list is endless on what small adjustment that you could make to go to CB once a year, if not more than that. What it all comes down to is a matter of choice, do your really want to fish Camelot Bell or don't you. Just my 2 cents and just the way I see it. No, I haven't fished it but I could if I really want to and I'm by no means rich. Happy fishing to all of you that do and may you catch the biggest bass of your life. Tight lines everyone.

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/29/21 08:01 PM

Is it uncommon to come on here and ask for a 'partner' to fish with at CB to split cost and learn from someone who has already been there?
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/29/21 08:26 PM

I would say it should be a bucket list trip for everyone. I will also say their is a big difference in going on a pond and whacking 40 pounds and doing it on a lake. I remember we were about to leave and I asked my buddy if he wanted to flip the dam reeds one more time and said yes and we caught 4 more 8 pounders like it was no big deal. Our big fish of our trip as 11.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/29/21 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Techfisher
To the guy that went 100 times and dropped 150K....are you adopting...???...:)

He's a good dude though....he used to not like me frkazoid

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/30/21 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Break-Off
One thing that I keep seeing said on here about fishing CB, is that "I just can't afford it". The simple truth is this, most everyone on here if not everyone, could afford to go and fish CB. It would just be a matter of priority and a few daily changes that would impact your life almost none at all. If you go to Starbucks, make a few less trips per year, if you smoke, buy a few less packs, if play the Lotto, get fewer tickets, etc., etc. The list is endless on what small adjustment that you could make to go to CB once a year, if not more than that. What it all comes down to is a matter of choice, do your really want to fish Camelot Bell or don't you. Just my 2 cents and just the way I see it. No, I haven't fished it but I could if I really want to and I'm by no means rich. Happy fishing to all of you that do and may you catch the biggest bass of your life. Tight lines everyone.

Well said Captain. I'm budgeting to go back in the fall.. and flip the dam reeds. I've been seeing those things in my dreams.

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/30/21 05:26 PM

Is it uncommon to come on here and ask for a 'partner' to fish with at CB to split cost and learn from someone who has already been there?

This is what I did the first time I fished it. I just PM'd a guy on here who had one heck of a story; a 61 lb 5 fish day. (You can read about it on the link below if you'd like to)

I have no clue why he agreed to go with me. He had never met me. I'm glad he did though. I caught my first DD and he's been a good friend of mine every since.

https://www.lunkerlore.com/single-post/2018-02-17-the-nuclear-day

Re: Camelot bell? - 06/30/21 07:41 PM

This is what I did the first time I fished it. I just PM'd a guy on here who had one heck of a story; a 61 lb 5 fish day. (You can read about it on the link below if you'd like to)

I have no clue why he agreed to go with me. He had never met me. I'm glad he did though. I caught my first DD and he's been a good friend of mine every since.

https://www.lunkerlore.com/single-post/2018-02-17-the-nuclear-day

GREAT STORY! CB is on my list so I'll be here asking for a fishing partner for the day when the time comes. Thanks again for sharing
Posted By: Monty Wright

Re: Camelot bell? - 07/01/21 12:03 AM

They posted on their Instagram today "Larry Walker top 5 fish at Wolf Pack, 47.93 lbs".
Posted By: BrandoA

Re: Camelot bell? - 07/01/21 12:13 AM

I would be interested In splitting cost with somebody either late fall or in Jan/Feb/March. Would love to fish the home of the Belles. Have no boat

Re: Camelot bell? - 07/01/21 12:39 AM

Not uncommon at all, throw it out there or PM someone. Have been several times before and would be happy to split a trip sometime

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/06/22 02:00 PM

FYI they are in the news lately with their deer operation there bad bad deal, https://www.lsonews.com/two-last-minute-cwd-zones-set-before-general-rifle-season-opener/

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/06/22 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SC-001
FYI they are in the news lately with their deer operation there bad bad deal, https://www.lsonews.com/two-last-minute-cwd-zones-set-before-general-rifle-season-opener/

What does that have to do with CB? Mikes been mostly out of the deer business for a few years, sold most of the herd and kept a few bucks.
Posted By: cali kid

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/06/22 02:53 PM

How did the fishing rate this year compared to season's past?

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/07/22 03:40 PM

It was a tough year out there last year. As always some big fish were caught but it was definitely fewer than in past years. Water levels are very low right now, flirting with too low to even launch a boat. I think it's technically "closed" right now on both Wolf Pack and Camelot Bell. Hopefully, they caught some rain this weekend.

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/08/22 05:03 AM

It was a tough year out there last year. As always some big fish were caught but it was definitely fewer than in past years. Water levels are very low right now, flirting with too low to even launch a boat. I think it's technically "closed" right now on both Wolf Pack and Camelot Bell. Hopefully, they caught some rain this weekend.

Interesting. Our Belles were off this yr. Now granted my late winter/spring fishing was limited due to my foot injury but friends and family didn’t do well. Only one DD caught so far this yr

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/08/22 05:21 AM

Which of the 3 lakes would y’all recommend ?
Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/09/22 02:10 AM

video of the bell low

Posted By: Lance Vick

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/09/22 02:11 AM

Wolfpack low

Re: Camelot bell? - 11/09/22 03:07 AM

Cool video Lance!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum