Texas Fishing Forum

HDS 12 and a tungsten weight

Posted By: joeycan24

HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 08:03 PM

My HDS 12 recently met up with a pice of 1/2 oz tungsten. The screen was no match needless to say. Anyone have any knowledge about being able to repair it. I've removed the unit and have it inside to keep moisture from getting inside the head unit. It was working when turned off after the accident. Any help or guidance is appreciated. I called lowrance and they offered no assistance.
Posted By: KC Injection Baits

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 08:16 PM

Go to Boris Marine Electronics 817-624-3932 Fort Worth
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 08:34 PM

No shock that Lowrance offered no help, that's common for them. I had it happen a couple years back and had to replace the unit, hope you get your situation handled better than I did. They just told me it couldn't be fixed and I needed to give them a credit card to buy another one.
Posted By: joeycan24

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 08:40 PM

That's almost verbatim what they told me. And they didn't even offer a trade in discount or anything....
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 08:51 PM

I think you're SOL. They probably have one of the worst customer services in the world. You're probably gonna have to replace the entire unit. That's what usually happens in this situation. Sorry about your unit. Hope you get it taken care of.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 09:08 PM

I love the Lowrance units but this is the reason a lot of people are going to Humminbird Helix and I can't blame them. I think it has a great picture just have to teach myself to look at their 2D sonar.
Posted By: Troyz

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 09:12 PM

Does Humminbird repair any of their units? Just curious...
Posted By: ssmith

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 09:28 PM

hummingbird will repair most of their units lowrance is replace its amazing since they don't repair units someone hasn't figured out how to repair them.
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix
I love the Lowrance units but this is the reason a lot of people are going to Humminbird Helix and I can't blame them. I think it has a great picture just have to teach myself to look at their 2D sonar.

I did this but went to the Solix units. The Mega imaging is by far better than my HDS 12's, glad I made the switch.
Posted By: KnotEnuff

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 10:40 PM

Insurance should help with that.
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/27/18 10:47 PM

http://www.clearcastmarine.com/
Posted By: the skipper

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 01:07 AM

Check out Russel marine products. They have tempered glass screen protectors for most of the newer units.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 01:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Rick Collis
They don't repair cracked screens
Posted By: JBranham

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 01:35 AM

Anyone have any experience wit these?

http://cndty.zxjfp.servertrust.com/category-s/585.htm

HDS 9 Tempered Glass Screen Protector
The Russell Marine Products Tempered Glass Screen Protectors are the latest in state-of-the-art marine screen protection technology. Highly durable and scratch and chip resistant, this strong 9H (hardness level) protector will guarantee your MultiFunction Display the best protection against drops, bumps, scratches, lures, and normal wear and tear. Our Oleophobic coating is Anti-fingerprint and anti-oil smudging due to the oil resistant coating that is applied during manufactureing also making it anti-scratch. All the protection without any bulk - RMP Tempered glass screen protectors are a mere .30mm thin making them ultra-light weight to allow for a 'delicate touch' style screen protector that will not to interfere with the sensitivity of your touchscreen. These work with both touch and non touch units.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 01:40 AM

They just came out.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 02:08 AM

Russel has good products!!

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 02:10 AM

Well I have these screen protectors, just arrived to me, and will have them on before I go out next. Hopefully they will protect from this happening.
Posted By: mbassn

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 02:31 AM

you would think if phone, tablet, computer, and tv screens could be replaced they could do it on depth finders.
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 04:01 AM

Originally Posted By: JBranham
Anyone have any experience wit these?

http://cndty.zxjfp.servertrust.com/category-s/585.htm

HDS 9 Tempered Glass Screen Protector
The Russell Marine Products Tempered Glass Screen Protectors are the latest in state-of-the-art marine screen protection technology. Highly durable and scratch and chip resistant, this strong 9H (hardness level) protector will guarantee your MultiFunction Display the best protection against drops, bumps, scratches, lures, and normal wear and tear. Our Oleophobic coating is Anti-fingerprint and anti-oil smudging due to the oil resistant coating that is applied during manufactureing also making it anti-scratch. All the protection without any bulk - RMP Tempered glass screen protectors are a mere .30mm thin making them ultra-light weight to allow for a 'delicate touch' style screen protector that will not to interfere with the sensitivity of your touchscreen. These work with both touch and non touch units.

I don't think it will protect against a "lure" on a missed hookset, miss guided cast, etc. That is what probably happened to the O.P.'s screen. How could it if it is thin and capable of working on a touch screen unit?
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 04:13 AM

Approach one of the cell phone repair places and explain to them how they will have the whole market to themselves if they figure out how to replace those Lowrance touch screens. May be worth a shot. They may give it a whirl to see if they can do it

Read what these guys do... may be worth asking them
http://smartphonefixcenter.com/what-we-do/
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 04:52 AM

why doesn't somebody make a clear cover like the covers that already come with the units. You can take it off if need be to adjust settings while idling around and simply snap it back on when you get up from the console to fish. Problem solved. Most of the time we leave our settings and everything alone for the most part when graphing so you really wouldn't need to remove the cover all the time. Hell I would buy one for my 12 for sure.

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 05:23 AM

On it now, thanks!

Originally Posted By: RodBreaker aka cwill
why doesn't somebody make a clear cover like the covers that already come with the units. You can take it off if need be to adjust settings while idling around and simply snap it back on when you get up from the console to fish. Problem solved. Most of the time we leave our settings and everything alone for the most part when graphing so you really wouldn't need to remove the cover all the time. Hell I would buy one for my 12 for sure.
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 05:45 AM

Don't forget my royalties

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/28/18 05:46 AM

grin
Posted By: Tjhook

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/29/18 08:53 AM

I just fixed one of Russell's this exact thing happened too. I'll see what parts I have in the shop and try to make you a new one. Drop it off.
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/29/18 03:15 PM

According to their website, they're not yet repairing screens. Possibly at a later date.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/29/18 04:40 PM

Thanks Rick glad to know about this.
Posted By: skeeterK

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/29/18 09:12 PM

Agree with the insurance claim IF your policy covers such as it was an accident. You could also go the insurance route and claim vandalism. Say you stopped at whataburger for lunch and it was busted upon your return. Just saying...
Posted By: Ian Fellenbaum

Re: HDS 12 and a tungsten weight - 01/29/18 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Troyz
Does Humminbird repair any of their units? Just curious...

They repaired my helix once, fixed the issue for a short time. I sent it back in after the factory warranty had expired for the same issue, and they sent me a brand new head unit.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum