Texas Fishing Forum

It's been tough out there

Posted By: Txfiremn

It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 02:11 AM

The last couple of times I've been out, I've skunked. I'm not sure if it's the weather, water temp, or both. Lake Waco is my home lake and it's been in the mid 40's. Same for Lake Whitney today. I've tried everything from shallow to deep and nothing. I can find them on the graph but they don't want anything I'm throwing. Has it been the same for everyone else?
Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 02:29 AM

Every time I drop my boat in the water and the temp says 40 something, I pack up and go golf....
Posted By: Razorback

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 02:39 AM

There is a reason why people go to power plant lakes in January.

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Razorback

I live less than 5 minutes from the Waco boat ramp and 20 minutes from Whitney. They closed the power plant on Tradinghouse. I wish there was a closer PP lake. I may need to make a few road trips.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 03:00 AM

I've always struggled to catch bass in cold 40 degree water. Back when I fished a bunch, I sometimes got lucky and caught a fish or two. Most times I zeroed.....started going to Fayette until lakes warmed into 50's....
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 03:02 AM

I blanked on a power plant lake last Sunday. First time in my life! First blank in almost a year and a half. I did have 5 bites, hooked three...didn't boat any. My partner caught quite a few including a 6 pounder he lost at the boat.

Tough day for both of us.
Posted By: PaPa@fork

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 11:19 AM

It’s winter and some of these COLD fronts that we have had this year have been brutal for fishing, it will give them lock jaw and for the past two years we really didn’t have any hard winter, this spring should be a blast hooked
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 12:30 PM

Havent even had the desire to fish this year in this cold weather.... yuck!
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/24/18 01:35 PM

It’s not just you. Water was 43 degrees last time I was out and I got one bite after fishing all day. It was a 4 pounder but it barely moved coming out of the water. Looked like a fish behind the counter at HEB it was so lethargic.

Water is just COLD. I think I will wait another week, pray for some sunshine, and hope the lengthening days can work it’s magic.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
I blanked on a power plant lake last Sunday. First time in my life! First blank in almost a year and a half. I did have 5 bites, hooked three...didn't boat any. My partner caught quite a few including a 6 pounder he lost at the boat.

I am curious. Which lake?
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 01:55 AM

Super shallow or super deep seems to be the ticket. I’ve been catching pretty good in <3’ of water, 40-43 degrees. Some of the most violent jig bites, knocking slack in the line. Pitched in a bush this last Sunday, a 3 lber popped slack in my line and headed out fast, at least 1 maybe 2 more came with it boiling the water around it while I was getting it in the boat. Fired up a school of shallow fish in 40 degree water. Those fish are acting like it’s summer time.

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor

Fairfield.

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 02:50 AM

Originally Posted By: bigfishtx
Super shallow or super deep seems to be the ticket. I’ve been catching pretty good in <3’ of water, 40-43 degrees. Some of the most violent jig bites, knocking slack in the line. Pitched in a bush this last Sunday, a 3 lber popped slack in my line and headed out fast, at least 1 maybe 2 more came with it boiling the water around it while I was getting it in the boat. Fired up a school of shallow fish in 40 degree water. Those fish are acting like it’s summer time.

Maybe shallow is what I need to try next because deep isn't working!
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor

Fairfield.

I blanked on Fairfield last Friday too
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 03:14 AM

They'll eat a trap shallow no doubt right now
Posted By: Tachyon62

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 03:19 AM

Fairfield was tough Sunday only managed one 2.5
Posted By: ETXfisher91

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 03:37 AM

I been on a power plant lake 3 times in the past week fishing cold water side and hot water side... I've fished jig, spinner bait, carolina rig, texas rig in 1-5ft all the way to 18ft of water on secondary points...1 fish... and it was off a spinner bait... this time of year I am usually catching at least 10lb stringer.

I agree with TexasTiger, this colder winter has them confused it seems like.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 04:06 AM

Got skunked on Houston County Lake for the first time as well.. I always tear them up there! I was up there a week and didn't get a damn bite the WHOLE week.

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 04:09 AM

wow a whole week... thats unheard of lol I would have left after day 3
Posted By: dk2429

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ETXfisher91
wow a whole week... thats unheard of lol I would have left after day 3

Well, after you already made RV spot reservations at CFR for a week, I'd rather get my money worth.. Lol.

I only saw 2 other folks out there that week. Talked to both of them. One was doing good with crappie, but the other was bass fishing and had the same luck I did
Posted By: markson

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 04:32 AM

After struggling with water temps less than 50 degrees last week I swallowed my pride and hired a Guide that I respect on Monday to show me what I was missing. Caught a 4 1/2 lbs first 15 mins plus many more nice ones. Then the next day I went out and hammered the fish (both bucks and mamas) on my own areas using his techniques. Find a Guide that specializes in TEACHING and RESULTS. It worked instantly for me.

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 04:38 AM

Originally Posted By: markson
After struggling with water temps less than 50 degrees last week I swallowed my pride and hired a Guide that I respect on Monday to show me what I was missing. Caught a 4 1/2 lbs first 15 mins plus many more nice ones. Then the next day I went out and hammered the fish (both bucks and mamas) on my own areas using his techniques. Find a Guide that specializes in TEACHING and RESULTS. It worked instantly for me.

Please share! haha
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 01:54 PM

Fairfield fish are just learning what cold water means. They haven't caught on yet.
Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 02:39 PM

Who was the guide ?
Posted By: markson

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 03:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Big Kahuna Fishing
Who was the guide ?

http://andermeine.com/new/
Posted By: i-Fish

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 05:08 PM

3 trips on the water this year and zero fish so far. Yesterday I had higher hopes and found some water right at 50 degrees on shallow rock but still no bite. Had one absolutely throttle a jig but he came off after hook set. Really don’t want to leave January with nothing in the boat!
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish
3 trips on the water this year and zero fish so far. Yesterday I had higher hopes and found some water right at 50 degrees on shallow rock but still no bite. Had one absolutely throttle a jig but he came off after hook set. Really don’t want to leave January with nothing in the boat!

Found a few crappie fishing , but targeting them specifically has not been successful so far. Have been trying to bank fish in the river at a creek drain, good color change and nothing home. Going to drop some minners over there tomorrow and see if ANYTHING is there. nice little spot with no current too!!!!
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 05:23 PM

It's been unusually rough this year, that's for sure. Last year at this time I already had three over 6 and two over 7.
Posted By: harvey walker

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/25/18 08:36 PM

Due to bad weather, wind and my wife heart attack I just got out Wed. for the first time sense early Dec.,
I fished Lake Brazos and the Bosque river for three hours and never got a bump. the water temp was 49 to 52. Yesterday I drove all around to all the parks on Waco to see how low the lake is. I saw a lot of my favorite spots high and dry. I planning on going there Friday and I really don't care if I get one or not. I will be looking for structure hints for when the water does come back up. If I get lucky I will let you know where and how
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/30/18 11:19 PM

Me and my buddy went to Alan Henry Sunday and got double skunked.

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/31/18 12:23 AM

Originally Posted By: ksalmon
Me and my buddy went to Alan Henry Sunday and got double skunked.
Sunday was a beautiful day to fish, perfect wind and temps.....but the bass didn't get the memo. I went 9 hours without even a bite.
Posted By: JohnnyCakes

Re: It's been tough out there - 01/31/18 05:45 AM

Waters too cold. Fish are super slow to bite
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum