Texas Fishing Forum

Fayette 01-20-2017

Posted By: Bazzectomy

Fayette 01-20-2017 - 01/21/18 05:10 AM

Fayette Report
Water temp: didn’t go into the discharge, 59-64 pretty much everywhere else.
Wind: 5-8 MPH (Mist until noon)
Fished from 8:00 am - 3:30 pm
12 bass. Lost one around 4. The rest were between 2-3.

Caught where: 22-24 foot of water seemed to be where the better fish were today.

Con: A kayak tournament and a Bass boat tournament were both occurring.
Everywhere you looked, there was a kayak. In the middle of the kayaks were two or three bass boats. If you caught a fish, here they came like magnets. Reminds me of fishing Calaveras in the 70’s and early 80’s. I did not fish my normal water because there was at least 5 boats on every spot. Therefore, I fish uncharted territory and the numbers reflect that.

Event while driving to Fayette from Austin:
I am just outside of Bastrop heading to Smithville on 71. The fog and mist is maybe 1/8 of a mile visibility. I am almost to the top of a hill when in a split second is see in my peripheral vision an Owl flying directly into my driver’s side window and mirror. I admit it; it caught me off guard and scared the living Schmidt out of me. At the last second, the Owl realized “Oh Schmidt” and tried to turn with his wings wide open. Splat into my window with the wings wide open. I had a cup of coffee in my hand and thank god, it had a lid on it. The window did not break, but the mirror was dangling and flopping back and forth against the door. I was only going 55 MPH and by the time I stopped, the mirror had already fallen off.

Then when I finally get to Fayette, there are two bass tournaments going on. Well [censored]!

Pro:
Regardless, I had a good time and decided to make the best of it. I let the tournament anglers fish the better water and explored new areas I had not tried before. I found some deeper spots that although did not pay off today, but definitely will in the future.

Bassectomy
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Fayette 01-20-2017 - 01/21/18 05:55 AM

I know your new here but there is a 2-3 page topic about today at Fayette that started earlier this week. Wish you. Could have seen it before hand
Posted By: Skunked Again Fishing

Re: Fayette 01-20-2017 - 01/23/18 12:17 PM

Thanks for the heads up report. Being that it's the only warm water lake within 100miles of Austin, I figure it's the crowded lake until Spring.
Posted By: fivebites

Re: Fayette 01-20-2017 - 01/23/18 01:59 PM

Aren't Bastrop and Decker both power plant lakes?
Posted By: bastropian

Re: Fayette 01-20-2017 - 01/23/18 02:41 PM

Bastrop hasn't been running hardly. I haven't heard it doing anything in a while. And I live within earshot. Seems like the water is staying pretty cool.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Fayette 01-20-2017 - 01/23/18 04:13 PM

Lots of stuff here for anyone fishing Austin area lakes. Around 11 minute mark on one angler's day fishing the tournament.

https://www.facebook.com/KeepAustinFishi...KqmbaVHMZ_JpZe0
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum