Texas Fishing Forum

Illegal Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville *Video added*

Posted By: CoastalBent

Illegal Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville *Video added* - 01/16/18 09:39 PM

I have video of a home developer shredding buckbrush with a Bobcat on the shoreline of Lewisville. I asked if he had a permit to clear COE land, and he did not. He took out about 200 ft of prime bass spawning cover in the back of a cove. Should I report it to COE? Is there anything they will do?

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 10:09 PM

Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 10:11 PM

Wouldnt that be similar to clearing out the bank line, building a retaining wall, and digging out the water in front of it?

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
Wouldnt that be similar to clearing out the bank line, building a retaining wall, and digging out the water in front of it?

Well, not really.... but yes in that either way, you are required to get a permit on a Corps of Engineers Lake.

...and the COE does not give out permits to clear brush just because you want a nice beach in front of your lot. It was not his land to clear.
Posted By: corps2010

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 10:28 PM

The COE will throw him under the bus if they see that video. They take that stuff very seriously. (or at least they do on Rayburn).
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 10:30 PM

...Next time a truck goes speeding past me at 90 mph in a 65mph zone do you think I need to take a video of it and turn him in ?
...Next time I see a bass boat on plane in a no-wake zone do you think I need to take a video of his TX numbers and turn him in ?
***** no real concrete answer here *****
it basically boils down to WHAT "YOU" feel the need to do
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 10:36 PM

Love social media ( which this is a form of and disclaimer, I dont have a FB account) I saw something I guess/know/assume/presume is wrong, but lets air it out in the court of public opinion as I am not intelligent enough to make a decision on my own as to what to do.

Report it and let us know the outcome,even if they say " mind your own business" Guess OP is scared of that or something.
Posted By: LearnedHat

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Kisndismis
Love social media ( which this is a form of and disclaimer, I dont have a FB account) I saw something I guess/know/assume/presume is wrong, but lets air it out in the court of public opinion as I am not intelligent enough to make a decision on my own as to what to do.

Report it and let us know the outcome,even if they say " mind your own business" Guess OP is scared of that or something.

This is a perfect forum to broach the subject and there is nothing unintelligent about getting feedback on the matter: whether it be regulatory or ethics related.

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83
...Next time a truck goes speeding past me at 90 mph in a 65mph zone do you think I need to take a video of it and turn him in ?
...Next time I see a bass boat on plane in a no-wake zone do you think I need to take a video of his TX numbers and turn him in ?

How about the next time somebody fells trees from your local city owned greenbelt/park to use for firewood? Or knowingly transplants an invasive, nonindigenous aquatic plant in a state owned body of water.

Why don't you choose something that is in the ballpark of analogous?
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: LearnedHat

How about the next time somebody fells trees from your local city owned greenbelt/park to use for firewood? Or knowingly transplants an invasive, nonindigenous aquatic plant in a state owned body of water.

Look I was just trying to support what you are asking ..... but you have to make up your own mind.
as far as analogies ...... it doesn't matter the level of wrong,,,,,if it is wrong it is wrong. The decision is whether YOU think it is wrong enough to report.
I don't like speeders ..... it doesn't matter if it is 5mph over the speed limit or 20mph over the speed limit. I don't like tailgaters, you'll buy my bumper if you tailgate me...... and if drive on plane in a no wake zone around me I am taking a picture of your TX numbers and turning you in. ...... as far as cutting down trees to be used for firewood ..... do they need it for warmth or to cook a meal, if so I'll let it pass.

why in the He!! did you pick on me ...... I didn't say you were scared and needed social media approval. dang

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:31 PM

Look I was just trying to support what you are asking ..... but you have to make up your own mind.
as far as analogies ...... it doesn't matter the level of wrong,,,,,if it is wrong it is wrong. The decision is whether YOU think it is wrong enough to report.
I don't like speeders ..... it doesn't matter if it is 5mph over the speed limit or 20mph over the speed limit. I don't like tailgaters, you'll buy my bumper if you tailgate me...... and if drive on plane in a no wake zone around me I am taking a picture of your TX numbers and turning you in. ...... as far as cutting down trees to be used for firewood ..... do they need it for warmth or to cook a meal, if so I'll let it pass.

why in the He!! did you pick on me ...... I didn't say you were scared and needed social media approval. dang

I apologize. I thought your comparisons were insincere while the OP was being sincere, albeit maybe a little enthusiastic and ambitious. Anyway, please forgive me the trespass.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:37 PM

Snitches end up in ditches...
Posted By: TR176

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:37 PM

some years ago a developer cut down standing timber up in hickory he was fined small fortune. The shoreline flora is to be maintained for the benefit of wildlife, however a drive around the lake will tell you they don’t enforce it for brush. Trees may be a different issue.
Posted By: Kisndismis

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:52 PM

This is a perfect forum to broach the subject and there is nothing unintelligent about getting feedback on the matter: whether it be regulatory or ethics related.

Uh yah there is a whole lot of unintellingence in this one, in the form of not being able to make a decision on his/her own. Again, if OP feels that strong about it, report it, and let us know the outcome.
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: TR176
some years ago a developer cut down standing timber up in hickory he was fined small fortune. The shoreline flora is to be maintained for the benefit of wildlife, however a drive around the lake will tell you they don’t enforce it for brush. Trees may be a different issue.

WHo actually got the fine? I don't remember
Posted By: T-racer @ Mallard Marine

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/16/18 11:58 PM

Yeah I don't know what's going on in this thread and I don't 100% know the laws about a COE lake but if it's me... I'm turning it in and doing a little more investigating. JMO.

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:00 AM

Truth be told, I reported it to a COE ranger by voicemail yesterday while they were closed for MLK. My main purpose for posting was wondering how hard I should follow up as far as providing video etc. I was kind of trying to decide how mad I was about it. So thanks to the wisdom of the TFF, I have decided to do exactly what I want to do and send it. If I can't slash and burn federal land with no permit, then neither can he. People who don't snitch also sometimes end up in ditches.
Posted By: tejasbass

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:02 AM

Over half a million...

Fine
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:05 AM

Let's try airing opinions without casting insults. The guy saw something happen and is seeking advice. Nothing in the world wrong with that.

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

I hope you have more sense than to follow that philosophy when your neighbor's house is getting broken in to.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:06 AM

Originally Posted By: CoastalBent
Truth be told, I reported it to a COE ranger by voicemail yesterday while they were closed for MLK. My main purpose for posting was wondering how hard I should follow up as far as providing video etc. I was kind of trying to decide how mad I was about it. So thanks to the wisdom of the TFF, I have decided to do exactly what I want to do and send it. If I can't slash and burn federal land with no permit, then neither can he. People who don't snitch also sometimes end up in ditches.

See something, say something; it is the government's motto. Yeah, it is for consequential things like suspected terror attacks and other crimes. However, it can also be for the "not so" subjects...
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:14 AM

Wow, very surprised that someone had the audacity to do something of this nature. I guess he thinks he owns the world. Please let us know the outcome. I spend a lot of time on Lew and this sorta makes me mad, too.
Posted By: Clark3

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:16 AM

Cue the TFF attorneys. This a great place if you need legal advice.

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:16 AM

Originally Posted By: tejasbass
Over half a million...

Fine

Link no workie
Posted By: Cringe

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:46 AM

Try this

Relinked

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:48 AM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Let's try airing opinions without casting insults. The guy saw something happen and is seeking advice. Nothing in the world wrong with that.

I hope you have more sense than to follow that philosophy when your neighbor's house is getting broken in to.

Depends on the neighbor..
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:51 AM

why is there no video? topic says video?

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:53 AM

Well I haven't heard those names in a long time... I figured Pinnell's name would pop up but that was a lot of money for sure...
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 12:54 AM

He just increased his property value times double lol. Maybe we should do that for your new house too! @Coastalbent
Posted By: Flooringit

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 01:43 AM

I’d say something hes ruining a resource we all love. No spawning grounds no fishing. No one would think twice if he was tearing down a border wall
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: corps2010
The COE will throw him under the bus if they see that video. They take that stuff very seriously. (or at least they do on Rayburn).
Lewisville is not Rayburn the COE in this case will orobably look the other way.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 02:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
Originally Posted By: tejasbass
Over half a million...

Fine

Link no workie

Kerr was a scapegoat. Pinnell hired him and Pinnell had too many connections within Texas gov...
The actual fine money was used to fix drainage issues on the North side of Pinnell's property so he could finish his development.
nothing to see here, move along.....

That looks like the same area where the work is being done. Where exactly is that?

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 04:40 PM

It's not in Hickory creek. This is new development on the north end of the lake.
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 05:24 PM

So my question is this. Does COE own all the land around the old lake and new lake? How do we know he didn't have permission to do that or COE doesn't own the land there. Just a question. Not trying to start any arguments.

I say that cause I just bought land at Fork and SRA has my waterfront. But I can still cut and do stuff.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey
So my question is this. Does COE own all the land around the old lake and new lake? How do we know he didn't have permission to do that or COE doesn't own the land there. Just a question. Not trying to start any arguments.

I say that cause I just bought land at Fork and SRA has my waterfront. But I can still cut and do stuff.

Actually Big trees(I don't know the determining factor) even if they're dead, you are supposed to get permission for their removal. Not everyone will do that, it happens, but you are told to request it...
As far as the clearing of underbrush etc..has never been an issue for us in the past.. FYI

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 06:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Sinkey

The COE owns all of the land around Lewisville, and the clearing you see in the video is definitely illegal. I confirmed with the bobcat driver and the owner of the lot that there was no permit. I left a follow up voicemail with the head ranger this morning. We'll see if they take action....

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 07:40 PM

So if they got a permit and removed the same brush as is being done now, what's the difference concerning spawning habitat? If it's gone it's gone

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 08:08 PM

So if they got a permit and removed the same brush as is being done now, what's the difference concerning spawning habitat? If it's gone it's gone

Thanks for your insightful contribution to this conversation. You're exactly right. Once it's gone, it's gone. I'm trying to prevent them from taking out the rest of the cove. As I said before, COE does not issue permits to clear COE land just because an adjacent land owner wants a beach.
Posted By: Smurfs

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 08:30 PM

popcorn
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 09:20 PM

@CoastalBent. It is illegal and you took the right approach notifying the local COE. I hope you left good contact info and the fact you had video. Might just leave the message that if he doesn't get this you can contact the district commander.
http://www.swd.usace.army.mil/Media/News...rigadier-gener/

I don't think it'll interfere with spawning in the long run(IMO) but I do think it'll affect runoff for this spring. Probably affect fry survivability. The bottom line is an example must be made or everyone will do it.

Re: Habitat Destruction on Lake Lewisville - 01/17/18 09:36 PM

Originally Posted By: RayBob
@CoastalBent. It is illegal and you took the right approach notifying the local COE. I hope you left good contact info and the fact you had video. Might just leave the message that if he doesn't get this you can contact the district commander.
http://www.swd.usace.army.mil/Media/News...rigadier-gener/

I don't think it'll interfere with spawning in the long run(IMO) but I do think it'll affect runoff for this spring. Probably affect fry survivability. The bottom line is an example must be made or everyone will do it.

Your bottom line is exactly right.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum