Texas Fishing Forum

Sinaloa Travel Threats

Posted By: TexasTechliprip

Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 05:35 PM

Im taking a trip to Comendero in late February.

The State Department has just issued a level 4 DO Not Travel warning to this area due to crime. They have very limited explanation or information regarding why.

Everyone I talk with says its safe no issues. I called the consulate in Mazatlan, who just refereed me to the state department website.

Anyone know where I can get better information on the area? I have talked to the outfitter, but I want another opinion.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 05:37 PM

Also on another note.......I cant find any reports of incidents to Americans in this area.

If its all cartel on cartel, then I am not worried.
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 05:49 PM

My grandad and grandmother live in the state of Chihuahua and grew up there. Even their small town has been shot up by cartels at times. While most of the incidents are cartel on cartel, many people die in the crossfire. Last year there was a shooting in town where 40 people died. Guys with 50 cals mounted to the bed of their trucks. My mom's cousin was kidnapped and held for ransom about 7 years ago even before it got real bad. Stuff happens to civilians as well. It is not all cartel on cartel.

Having said all of that, most of the time if people keep to themselves they won't have issues. A couple of years back when the Sinaloa cartel really started moving into the town my grandparents live they shut down all travel after dark. They were stopped once by a cartel vehicle and were told that would be their only warning and to stay off the roads after dark.
Posted By: Pete Robbins

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 05:57 PM

I just returned from El Salto yesterday, my 10th or 11th trip, and I noticed no apparent differences. Everyone has to make their own judgments, but I'd go back tomorrow if I could.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 06:31 PM

There's a guy on here named bluebonnetb who just packed up and moved down there. You might search his name and send him a pm. I pm'ed a couple of times and he always responded. Don't remember the name of the town but they had a Walmart, banks, gas, ATM's and a Yamaha dealer so must be pretty big.
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 06:33 PM

Screw Mexico. I'm never going there again. If I want an expedition trip I'll go smallie/pike fishing in Canada, multi species in Alaska, or Amazon peacock fishing.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Pete Robbins
I just returned from El Salto yesterday, my 10th or 11th trip, and I noticed no apparent differences. Everyone has to make their own judgments, but I'd go back tomorrow if I could.

how was the fishing?
Posted By: Pete Robbins

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 06:54 PM

Numbers are very good, with a lot of 4-8# fish, but not many true monsters in camp this week.
Fish are in all stages of the spawn, and we caught them on everything from Whopper Ploppers to 10XDs. Good time to work on your favorite (or least favorite) technique.
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 07:00 PM

thumb
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 07:14 PM

This happened Dec 30th and probably has a part to play in the warnings

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.c...mexico.amp.html

Note that it happened at 4am
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 07:52 PM

No way I'd go, then....
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 07:53 PM

Nothing really very good happens at 4am on any city street
That is a time when it is best just to be sleeping.
Posted By: JeffLStevens

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 08:12 PM

yeah.....being gunned down on the streets in Mexico at 4 am COULD be an indication of someone not acting the safest manner and MAYBE was somewhere he should not have been.
Posted By: JackMason

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 09:22 PM

Just fish, stay at camp, maintain a low profile and you should be fine. I've never been there, but know of people who have and they say it's great.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 09:37 PM

If something is going to go down it’s going to happen no matter how much you try to prepare for it. They are not looking to kill American fishermen if that is your biggest concern. The last thing any cartel or Mexican citizens want is to bring heat from “el otro lado”. Enjoy the trip!
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 10:10 PM

Originally Posted By: K.D.
This happened Dec 30th and probably has a part to play in the warnings

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxnews.c...mexico.amp.html

Note that it happened at 4am

That's nutz
There is not, nor will there ever be a bass, or a bass fishing trip worth risking my life, or any families life over.
The warnings are there, stay the hell away is what I see, no question...

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/16/18 10:33 PM

..... I went to El Salto in September .....
I'd go back to Mazatlan -- El Salto in a heartbeat; or any other Mexico lake.
I'm dang sure going to the Mexico side of Falcon in 2 weeks.
Posted By: SuperSpookJr

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 02:21 AM

If you read the article, the American who was shot got into an altercation over a prostitute he hired at a cartel-owned bar. Not saying he deserved it, but there was some very poor judgment going on - especially at 4:00am.
Posted By: troyman

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 03:28 AM

www.borderlandbeat.com
Posted By: bluebonnet2

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 03:33 AM

good evening,

i'm here, ,,,la cruz, Sinaloa,,,probassadventure,,,about 25 minutes to town, just back to town after a great meal, catching lots of numbers....80 plus daily to 8 plus lbs....will start looking a casa soon, stay at hotles JR in la cruz,,,,,normally leave town about 5,30ish...people are moving around in town,,,,heavy agriculture area, tomatoes, peppers mangos, egg plants...just saying

i'm close to mazatlan (80 miles, mas o minos) and they got everything, sam's club, wallyword, Costco, etc ....doctors, hospitals, and a couple of Yamaha dealerships..international airport,,,.the coca cola distributorship is right down the street from me and john deere, massey fregeson and new Holland, and a firestone store here in town, plus a lots of small mom and pop stores and resturants...

I stayed on the toll roads from Laredo to la cruz exit....skeeter and dogs did well, 13,8 mpg for the whole trip, 2017 RAM 1500, bighorn, loaded and boat, 65 mph , toll roads are great...skeeter cover did very well..

I haven't seen much trouble, just lots of federal policia...these are good guys

I don't do "stupid stuff"....

hope everyone rest easy...I glad i'm not in east TEXAS, never cared for snow and ice and cold weather....it was 82 here today

god bless

good luck,
PURA VIDA,
bluebonnet2
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 01:44 PM

Good to see you arrived safely and have everything under control. I'm sure a little common sense and minding your own business will go a long way.

FISH ON!!
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 04:54 PM

This is correct. I'm heading to Huites on 2/5 and have no concerns.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 05:01 PM

Dang , wish I could but I look too much like a Messikun .
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
This is correct. I'm heading to Huites on 2/5 and have no concerns.

Let me know how you do on Huites. Was there back in 06 I think, had the lake all to myself, caught a ton of fish, biggest was 7+.
Posted By: Leonardo1

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 08:31 PM

I don't think it is something to make light of. I really want to go back but haven't been able to convince myself to this point.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 08:57 PM

Originally Posted By: SuperSpookJr
If you read the article, the American who was shot got into an altercation over a prostitute he hired at a cartel-owned bar. Not saying he deserved it, but there was some very poor judgment going on - especially at 4:00am.

I went over the article twice and I did not see where it mentioned an altercation over a prostitute at a cartel owned bar. Where did you see this?
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 09:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.

I went over the article twice and I did not see where it mentioned an altercation over a prostitute at a cartel owned bar. Where did you see this?

Here you go
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/17/18 11:39 PM

Originally Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.
Originally Posted By: Ken A.

Here you go

If this is factual, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, that man was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Certainly not saying he deserved to die but if you play with fire you are eventually gonna get burned.
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 12:23 AM

The travel warning is exactly that, a warning from the state department and a way out for them when something happens. There will be little to no resources at your disposal if you do in fact get into some type of incident while there.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 12:38 AM

I quit going to Mexico. Too much drug related violence for me. I know several people who have homes in various areas there or wintered there. All pretty much say things continue to get worse. Sure you can run into the same thing here. Difference is you have pretty much zero rights down there. They aren't concerned about what the US might do to them on an incident involving one American citizen. For certain the cartels and gangs don't give a damn.

Too many other places to travel to without that risk.

An outfitter knows what's going on as much as anyone. They should be able to steer you away from risky areas and risky behavior.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 12:50 AM

It's a level 4. They don't just pick a random level to assign to an area. Think about it, that is the same level as Afghanistan. I used to hear Americans traveling to Cancun telling everyone how safe it was on the resorts until they had a shootout on the beach full of Americans and later when they found 2 suitcases with bodies hacked up in them. A fishing trip there will be safe until it isn't. If you're the one caught there then, we'll all set around and have a thread about it and everyone will be saying that it was your fault for being somewhere you shouldn't be.

If you can't be out after dark and feel that you should be relatively safe, do you really think it is somewhere you should be during the day? Too many other places that I can fish in this world to be choosing one in an area so out of control as Mexico right now.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 12:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
It's a level 4. They don't just pick a random level to assign to an area. Think about it, that is the same level as Afghanistan. I used to hear Americans traveling to Cancun telling everyone how safe it was on the resorts until they had a shootout on the beach full of Americans and later when they found 2 suitcases with bodies hacked up in them. A fishing trip there will be safe until it isn't. If you're the one caught there then, we'll all set around and have a thread about it and everyone will be saying that it was your fault for being somewhere you shouldn't be.

If you can't be out after dark and feel that you should be relatively safe, do you really think it is somewhere you should be during the day? Too many other places that I can fish in this world to be choosing one in an area so out of control as Mexico right now.

So what do you imagine the rating for Detroit, Memphis or St. Louis would be?
Posted By: CubbyObrien

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 01:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Perry

lol Thats funny right there! dont forget Chi-Raq
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 01:29 AM

I'm actually from Memphis, and I can tell you that I wouldn't go out after dark in certain areas. But that's just it, every city has it's bad areas. Be smart, keep your head on a swivel, and avoid the areas that you're not supposed be in! Don't go looking for trouble and most of the time trouble won't come looking for you. Just use common sense, guys. I know that seems to be a lost art nowadays, but that doesn't mean you guys can't still exercise it. Would I go to Mexico right now, probably not. Would I go when things died down, probably so.
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 01:40 AM

Been to East St. Louis, St. Louis, Memphis and New Orleans and they are all comparable to south Dallas and Beaumont. You can get all the excitement you can handle in those places but you better have the fastest car,lol. Been to everyone of them on a Harley and got out alive. Won't be going back, used up all my luck.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 01:55 AM

Originally Posted By: CubbyObrien

lol Thats funny right there! dont forget Chi-Raq

I'm sure that the areas this goes on in are pretty much known and I wouldn't be caught fishing in the park there either. This is kind of like saying smoking cigarettes causes cancer so let's huff glue.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 02:04 AM

I couldn't tell you, haven't looked it up because I don't plan on going fishing there either.
Posted By: USA-1

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 02:55 AM

http://www.borderlandbeat.com/?m=1
Posted By: USA-1

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 02:59 AM

I travel all over Mexico regularly as I have an office and sales people down there. if anyone tells you it’s safe and nothing is going to happen to you, well maybe they only want your fishing money. Be careful. It’s gotten hot lately.

Posted By: pil,b

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 04:01 AM

It doesn't have to be cartels, lot of bandits that will kidnap or rob people that are drugged up. Go back and find the story about Charlie Harrelson and the trouble they had at Sugar lake across from Falcon. He said he thought they were dead. fish

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 05:31 AM

That is the most ignorant defense I have heard. I get that Mexico isn't the only dangerous place and there are plenty of places to avoid here in the USA. That is exactly why you nor I choose to walk down the street there and most of the time avoid driving in that part of town altogether. Add being in a foreign country with known corrupt police and government and well the lack of comparison could go on forever.

It is dangerous just like the wrong street in Chicago, just don't expect any help for you or your family from government resources.

I am not telling you it's not worth it because a trip of a lifetime might well be. It has been for me any many others who have been. I just was lucky enough to go prior to this mess and we all thought it to be relatively safe. At least for traveling outside the USA.

I will say that while fishing you are closer to the cartel business than many on here will let you know. While fishing Salto at what I recall record high water levels, 23 feet high, at the back of coves and cuts, you could see crops being grown and tended to. Water being pumped from the lake for irrigation and hombres taking siesta's underneath trees with machine guns. We also had security escorts while fishing Comedero that accompanied us throughout the day on the water and stood outside the bunkhouse while we slept.

Not to mention getting stopped by the Police on the way back to Mazatlan, for what seemed like hours that was about 15 minutes probably, and our driver getting really nervous on the side of the road. I believe both camps now allow you to travel from fish camp to the airport if you so choose avoiding a nights stay in town. This is definitely the route I would choose.

Hindsight leaves a little to be desired but I had a hell of a good time on each trip. My wife knows nothing about the circumstances above because it would scare her. And honestly the desire to go back burns hotter as each year passes but I can't talk myself back into it yet. I about had myself convinced until the level 4.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 01:12 PM

...There are 2 "CAMPS" here.. (play on words)
1st --- those that think the trip to El Salto or Sugar or Piccachios or any other Mexican lake is worth every penny spent and feels that if they just go to the camp and fish they are safe from harm and will not have a problem. They also believe that the threat of danger is no more than the threat of danger here in the good ol' USA if you go to the wrong (where you are not wanted) side of town at the wrong time. Those folks (me)will go to Mexico, catch lots of fish and enjoy the experience. More power to us .... O'Lay.

2nd --- there are those that think the reward is not worth what they think the risk is and wouldn't enjoy the experience due to the fear factor of what might happen to them. That is understood.

I just have one more comment --- how many folks on here will now .... NOT go visit or vacation in Hawaii due to the nuclear threat from N. Korea ? The pundits are saying this is a very real & possible threat. I for one have a trip planned to Hawaii for May & a trip planned to El Salto for June & I am not canceling either one. The possibility of me being killed at either location is worse than the odds of me dying in a plane crash & I fly every week somewhere on business.

Live life to the fullest & where/when you feel comfortable and safe.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 01:54 PM

Haralson's story:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-3189.html
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Leonardo1

That is the most ignorant defense I have heard. I get that Mexico isn't the only dangerous place and there are plenty of places to avoid here in the USA. That is exactly why you nor I choose to walk down the street there and most of the time avoid driving in that part of town altogether. Add being in a foreign country with known corrupt police and government and well the lack of comparison could go on forever.

It is dangerous just like the wrong street in Chicago, just don't expect any help for you or your family from government resources.

I am not telling you it's not worth it because a trip of a lifetime might well be. It has been for me any many others who have been. I just was lucky enough to go prior to this mess and we all thought it to be relatively safe. At least for traveling outside the USA.

I will say that while fishing you are closer to the cartel business than many on here will let you know. While fishing Salto at what I recall record high water levels, 23 feet high, at the back of coves and cuts, you could see crops being grown and tended to. Water being pumped from the lake for irrigation and hombres taking siesta's underneath trees with machine guns. We also had security escorts while fishing Comedero that accompanied us throughout the day on the water and stood outside the bunkhouse while we slept.

Not to mention getting stopped by the Police on the way back to Mazatlan, for what seemed like hours that was about 15 minutes probably, and our driver getting really nervous on the side of the road. I believe both camps now allow you to travel from fish camp to the airport if you so choose avoiding a nights stay in town. This is definitely the route I would choose.

Hindsight leaves a little to be desired but I had a hell of a good time on each trip. My wife knows nothing about the circumstances above because it would scare her. And honestly the desire to go back burns hotter as each year passes but I can't talk myself back into it yet. I about had myself convinced until the level 4.

Ignorant to you maybe but just another way to look at it. You don't have to agree with it. That is the good thing about opinions....everyone is entitled to have one.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 02:30 PM

Well at least with conceal carry in Detroit, Memphis, and St. Louis you can shoot back to protect your family. You get caught shooting someone in Mexico you will not be seen again. I think that is about the only difference. They may be less violent in Mexico tho.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 05:05 PM

Originally Posted By: pil,b
It doesn't have to be cartels, lot of bandits that will kidnap or rob people that are drugged up. Go back and find the story about Charlie Harrelson and the trouble they had at Sugar lake across from Falcon. He said he thought they were dead. fish

I love when this gets brought up as a reason NOT to go to Mexico. Just a couple of boys out fishing and minding their own business and got sucker punched. Could have happened to anyone. hammer
Posted By: Workfishngolf37

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 05:27 PM

Bass fishing is just as addictive as meth to some people. Everyone knows it is as dangerous to be in some parts of mexico just like being in some parts of LA. Some died hard fisherman are willing to take that chances to fish mexico lakes. On the other hand would they be saying it is safe if they were going to a marching band concert in mexico? Prolly not lol. Bottom line is sometimes trouble finds you for example. I'm a hispanic that doesnt know a whole lot of spanish and that my friend is a no no in mexico. Puts me in a vulnerable spot when communicating with mexicans.
Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 05:40 PM

" We also had security escorts while fishing Comedero that accompanied us throughout the day on the water and stood outside the bunkhouse while we slept. "

I really didn't like armed guards around...when I went back a few years ago... I wont go back there again. I feel much more comfortable at El Salto Anglers Inn.
Posted By: furim2

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 05:52 PM

Originally Posted By: OzzieFish
" We also had security escorts while fishing Comedero that accompanied us throughout the day on the water and stood outside the bunkhouse while we slept. "

I really didn't like armed guards around...when I went back a few years ago... I wont go back there again. I feel much more comfortable at El Salto Anglers Inn.

The only place I've ever heard of fishermen getting into trouble was at El Salto. Two years ago.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 08:12 PM

Fouz told us the story about Charlie, just the tale he told scared me enough to never go there... You never know what will happen...

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 08:17 PM

Originally Posted By: JacksonBean

I love when this gets brought up as a reason NOT to go to Mexico. Just a couple of boys out fishing and minding their own business and got sucker punched. Could have happened to anyone. hammer

Yeah -- In a place they shouldn't have been at a time of night that they should have been sleeping. Take a sack lunch next time and eat it for a late night dinner. Why in the world would you go to a Cantina in a small out of the way town ? They just increased the chances of an incident by 1000 times.
C'mon Man !!!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83

Why in the world would you go to a Cantina in a small out of the way town ?

To get a couple tacos?
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 08:35 PM

I have caught 5-6 fish over 10 right here in north Texas not Detroit and I can carry my Kimber in the boat if I want to. Have a cousin that has a cabin on Lake Novillo Mexico and goes every year for 2 weeks and said their big fish on average is 7 lbs. Years ago I would have gone down there but things have changed and not for the better. If you feel safe go for it , just hope you don't make the head lines. Don't try sucker punching me in north Texas or you will make the head lines. hammer

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 08:52 PM

Originally Posted By: OzzieFish

Shame on us, we didn't realize that was going to be the case until we arrived. On the last day, riding down to the lake on the bus, the clip in one of the guards machine guns fell out into the floor of the bus. Made us feel great. Good thing we didn't need him.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 09:08 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Originally Posted By: flukeman83

Why in the world would you go to a Cantina in a small out of the way town ?

To get a couple tacos?

Better be REAL GOOD tacos ..... !!!

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/18/18 09:22 PM

in the summer of 1970 I went to Tangiers,,,,,,I was 18.
got off the plane (walked down steps onto the tarmac) and there were armed guards standing about 20 yards apart from the plane to the terminal.
I thought Dang ..... then went to the Casbah and walked from the top down to the bottom, went to a belly dance / lunch show, had dinner at a hotel.
walked back past the armed guards got on the plane and went back to Spain. I didn't do anything wrong, they didn't shoot me, bad guys didn't attack, it was a great adventure. If you let little things keep you from enjoying life then you will truly never experience what this world has to offer. there is bad everywhere you go ...... you just have to avoid the bad and embrace the good.

the absolute most terrifying day in my life is when I took a wrong turn (in the middle of the day) while I was in PHILADELPHIA. I was in a neighborhood that I should not have been in. I ran stop signs and red lights trying to get stopped by the police or get out of there. Since there were no police in the neighborhood (too smart to be in there) I got out fairly quickly. Now will that/has that kept me from going back to Philadelphia,,,bsolutely not. Great City with great heritage and great food. Super place to visit, but I don't go back to that neighborhood.

Same with Mexico, I wouldn't suggest going out for a taco at the local Cantina after dark thirty, but I would certainly say YES to a trip to El Salto for some bass fishing.......keeping yourself at the fish camp.

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/19/18 03:29 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I went to Salto last year, clearly its hot and you dont need to go looking for trouble....I get all that. I just want to know if this new level 4 is just a new rating system or if there has been events that has lead to the increase in over the past few months in Sinaloa.

No one can answer the following questions for me. I have tried the consulate, state department.....who can answer this?

Has an american been kidnapped or murdered in Sinaloa in 2017?
Have there been any reports of road blocks in Sinaloa?
When was the last time an american was attacked on lake Comendero?
What was the cause for this new rating system.

Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/19/18 03:42 PM

I'll throw my two cents in: It sounds like you are trying to justify taking the trip because you will be fishing on Comedero and you can't find a specific instance where someone was harmed while traveling to/from the airport or harmed while fishing on the lake.

That could be true, but I would not use the lack of a specific incident to determine whether or not it's safe to travel there.

Things are rough down there with all the cartel battles going on. You can read the borderland beats webpage and see how much turmoil is happening. You will be out of the country with none of the rights you expect to have while in the US.

With that being said, I think you would be pretty safe going straight from the airport to the fish camp and staying put until you travel straight back to the airport from the camp. But, there are certainly risks involved and you have to determine if you are willing to take those risks.
Posted By: Doug King

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/19/18 06:06 PM

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-state-department-announces-a-new-travel-warning-system

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/mexico-travel-warning-what-the-update-means-for-travelers

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/us-state-department-travel-warning-about-mexico

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-...ancel-your-trip
Posted By: propman

Re: Sinaloa Travel Threats - 01/19/18 07:37 PM

I have been to El Salto 3 times, once with a group of 14 and twice with a group of 18, and will go again, but only with a group of friends as I have in the past. All the times we went with Doug King's Pro Bass Adventures. They pick you up at the airport and take you and your gear to the lodge on the lake for no additional charge. They have security at night at the lodge but it is so unobtrusive you won't know it is there. They have everything you can legally want or need. No need for any other adventures other than fishing, comfortable lodging, good food and drink. You'll be too tired to even think of anything else. I do lock all my valuables in a case in my room when out on the lake. There is no need for valuables out there anyway. Need more beer on the boat, the guide calls back to the lodge and a boat will bring you more. Doug's crew also returns you and your gear to the Mazatlan airport. Nothing is easier than that. Yes there are Federales at certain points on the drives but they are not interested in fishermen going to and fro from the airport. If you think about it the cartels will probably take care of any local who does something to bring additional heat down upon the cartels heads. I have felt as safe on my trips with Doug's Pro Bass Adventures services as I have been on many other trips in the USA.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum