Texas Fishing Forum

House for my boat

Posted By: lucky55

House for my boat - 01/11/18 11:30 PM

Finally delivered this week! I got a fully enclosed carport building for my boat. Filled it with river rock, hung some lights. Awesome to have a lighted place out of this cold weather to get stuff ready and organized. Too windy to do anything else this weekend so I'll re tie and clean up my boxes. And Hope this wind quits!

Posted By: Troyz

Re: House for my boat - 01/11/18 11:40 PM

Nice setup. Sure you will enjoy it. Use to have similar setup. Good place to hide out sometimes.............
Posted By: Doing it for the fans since 71

Re: House for my boat - 01/11/18 11:54 PM

I am looking for one about that size what did they charge you to install out the door?
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: House for my boat - 01/11/18 11:54 PM

Nice. What size did you get?

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:13 AM

It is 18 x 30, room to walk all around the boat, maybe a couple shelves. I noticed on the online builder that you can go up to this size before it changes price again and its same price if smaller lol.
Surprisingly these buildings have gotten pretty cheap compared to the first one I got, this one was $4k installed, I did add a couple upgrades to it, could have been maybe $300 cheaper. I did all the dirt work myself.
Kicker, I now have the installers number and they sell them on the side even cheaper!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:22 AM

Lookin' good....only way to keep a boat in great condition is to keep it outta the weather.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:24 AM

I just don’t have room on my lot for something like this. Must be awesome.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:25 AM

living the dream now..
Posted By: burdman

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:26 AM

That's a good looking building. I am also looking for something similar for my boat. I need one that is like 14x28. What are the size options? Do you have a number I could call?
Posted By: Brent S

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:36 AM

Awesome

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:39 AM

Originally Posted By: burdman
That's a good looking building. I am also looking for something similar for my boat. I need one that is like 14x28. What are the size options? Do you have a number I could call?

You can get any size you want, but 14x28 would be same price as 18x30, think they just cut bigger sizes down to size you want. Widths are in 6 ft increments and length in 5 ft, height in 1 ft, something like that.
go to carportsandmore.com and play with their builder program, then you can order it or just print it out and find your closest dealer, they are all pretty much the same.
Posted By: burdman

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:41 AM

Thank you so much. I am limited on the space I have to put it. That's why I need a bit smaller.
Thanks Again!
Posted By: 206champion

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 12:59 AM

Looks good you will enjoy it.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 01:21 AM

Next best thing to an attached garage! I poured a very large extension to my driveway which raps around the side of my house. I parked my boat on it for about 2 years. Much better than parking on the dirt. About 5 years ago I put a 12' x 32' carport on that new driveway. I also strung lights and put in a power receptacle. I have really enjoyed having it.
Posted By: JackMason

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 02:02 AM

Originally Posted By: lucky55

It is 18 x 30, room to walk all around the boat, maybe a couple shelves. I noticed on the online builder that you can go up to this size before it changes price again and its same price if smaller lol.
Surprisingly these buildings have gotten pretty cheap compared to the first one I got, this one was $4k installed, I did add a couple upgrades to it, could have been maybe $300 cheaper. I did all the dirt work myself.
Kicker, I now have the installers number and they sell them on the side even cheaper!

Really nice! How long did it take them to install?
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 11:48 AM

I'm not sure that extension cord is up to code! bolt

Nice building, few little up grades and my wife would never see me!
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 03:06 PM

way too clean, throw some junk in there grin

nice boat house thumb
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 03:14 PM

what size would one do to put in a 18ft boat with single axle trailer & park a truck beside it ?
Posted By: LakeForkBoatAccessories

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 03:19 PM

After confirming you have no leaks, hit it with some closed cell spray foam insulation. banana
Posted By: RANDYSGLIDE

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 04:24 PM

Perfect
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 04:42 PM

clap

Mount some pegboard and some rod storage to the walls.

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 04:43 PM

Originally Posted By: jackmason

Really nice! How long did it take them to install?

7 hrs ! They were cruising!

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 04:52 PM

That is really good looking ..... nice job.
do you wish you had made it "shorter" --- not so tall ?
how big is your garage door ? it appears to be 8ft tall and 10ft wide ???

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 04:53 PM

were the side braces (wall to top) "standard" ?
I did not see that feature on their model building computer program.

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 04:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Stickchunker
I'm not sure that extension cord is up to code! bolt

Nice building, few little up grades and my wife would never see me!

I knew someone would catch that cord lol!
I'm working on finishing the electrical today, porch light and a couple plugs then its done.
As far as other upgrades, I put it as close to the current cave as possible. Already got fireplace, A/C, massive stereo system, half bath, office. If it gets any nicer it might cut into fishing hours banana

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 04:59 PM

How long after you ordered it did they show up to install ?
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 05:02 PM

I built a 20' X 30' a few years ago for my 21' Skeeter. Then put in a good reloading bench, TV, refrigerator, and hung all my deer heads on the wall. Great place to go chill. You will love it

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: flukeman83

Actually I'm tall so its perfect for me to walk in the boat and not worry about the lights. And taller the better in summer for heat!
Ya its 10x8 door perfect for my boat.
All the braces are standard, they have more when its wind or snow rated, this is the cheap version only upgrades were 12 gauge instead of 14 and some mobile home anchors I added. Last one I got was the other frame style and it is a little nicer trim wise but I didn't see the need on this one. I went cheap, any money saved goes towards ultrex fund!

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 05:12 PM

How long after you ordered it did they show up to install ?

7 weeks, don't hold your breathe their scheduling is horrible, that's why my story started with they finally arrived lol.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 07:36 PM

Looks great! enjoy it and fill it up with tackle, tools and tales.
Posted By: RJF1423

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 08:37 PM

Actually I'm tall so its perfect for me to walk in the boat and not worry about the lights. And taller the better in summer for heat!
All the braces are standard, they have more when its wind or snow rated, this is the cheap version only upgrades were 12 gauge instead of 14 and some mobile home anchors I added. Last one I got was the other frame style and it is a little nicer trim wise but I didn't see the need on this one. I went cheap, any money saved goes towards ultrex fund!
I wonder if the 9x7 would work? Cost is quite a bit higher for the 10x8.

This is an awesome idea. My boat has been sitting outside on dirt with no covering for a year now and I am in the process of restoring it. Bet it would be much nicer to redo the carpet and restore things inside a covered garage.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 09:12 PM

Originally Posted By: RJF1423

This is an awesome idea. My boat has been sitting outside on dirt with no covering for a year now and I am in the process of restoring it. Bet it would be much nicer to redo the carpet and restore things inside a covered garage.

I'd go with the larger door. I have a 10x10 on my shop and I have to pay close attention to my trailer and have it lined up just right to get my boat in. When I added on to my shop, I made the door on that side a 12x10 and it is so much easier to get into.

Re: House for my boat - 01/12/18 11:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Originally Posted By: RJF1423

I'd go with the larger door. I have a 10x10 on my shop and I have to pay close attention to my trailer and have it lined up just right to get my boat in. When I added on to my shop, I made the door on that side a 12x10 and it is so much easier to get into.

I agree, I only have about 6" on each side of fenders backing in
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: House for my boat - 01/13/18 04:26 PM

what size would one do to put in a 18ft boat with single axle trailer & park a truck beside it ?

Mine is 24 side x 26 have a 150 ford beside a ranger rt 188 and cord wood on one side.
Plenty room between them
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: House for my boat - 01/13/18 04:35 PM

That’s a good looking building!
Posted By: basscaster46

Re: House for my boat - 01/13/18 04:43 PM

saw one where guy put wood deck on inside next to boat . Boat was parked on rock but on other side wood floor ,benches, lots of shelves it was pretty cool. Probably lot cheaper than concrete.
The shop even had a wood stove think it had 10 ft wide door 1 walk in door .
J D

Re: House for my boat - 01/13/18 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: basscaster46

Mine is 24 side x 26 have a 150 ford beside a ranger rt 188 and cord wood on one side.
Plenty room between them

what size roll-up door did you put in for your RT188 ?

Re: House for my boat - 01/14/18 01:02 PM

Lucky55 ..... hate to hijack your thread & the only reason I would is because of the pictures of your GREAT HOUSE you built for your boat has me wanting one.....
so any and all advice would be helpful......you only get one (maybe 2) shots at getting it right. I know there are others wanting the same info.
what dimensions and door sizes would one recommend for an enclosed garage ..... just the wide & roll up door sizes. I got the length.
pick up truck -- single axle trailer for 18ft boat -- 2 roll up doors.
????
Posted By: Stickchunker

Re: House for my boat - 01/14/18 02:18 PM

What a set up, i know for sure now that my wife would never see me! cheers

Re: House for my boat - 01/15/18 12:31 AM

Lucky55 ..... hate to hijack your thread & the only reason I would is because of the pictures of your GREAT HOUSE you built for your boat has me wanting one.....
so any and all advice would be helpful......you only get one (maybe 2) shots at getting it right. I know there are others wanting the same info.
what dimensions and door sizes would one recommend for an enclosed garage ..... just the wide & roll up door sizes. I got the length.
pick up truck -- single axle trailer for 18ft boat -- 2 roll up doors.
????

Not sure if this is what you meant or not? But my other shop is 24ft wide has 8ft door 10ft door and man door. That 8ft door was fine for my little hotrod, but it is basically useless for anything else. IMO get at least the 10 ft doors if you can. Also, when my boat was in 12ft wide area it was critical to get it exactly straight, if back travels over with sun in your eyes well you know the rest. IMO boat area should be at least 14 wide but with this style building its same price to go up so bigger the better if you have the room.
If I could do my first building over again I would go with bigger roll up door and put the man door on the side!
Posted By: cjbles

Re: House for my boat - 01/15/18 02:20 AM

Thats nice, wish I had the room on the property for something like that.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: House for my boat - 01/15/18 02:58 AM

Dang. Wish I had space for that! bow_down
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum