Texas Fishing Forum

Weightless fluke rod

Posted By: Dosser

Weightless fluke rod - 01/10/18 08:20 PM

I used to throw flukes on a Berkley lightning shock rod 6'6" M. Looking at Falcon rods, specifically the 6'7" MH weightless worm rod or should I just stick with a 6'6" M rod like the cranker? If you have any other suggestions I'm all ears. Don't want a rod over 6'8" due to fishing from a kayak. Thanks in advance
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/10/18 08:24 PM

I’d go with the MH weightless worm rod
Grass and weightless fluke go together like PB&J. You want something stouter and less flexible than a medium cranker to get the bass out of the grass
Posted By: senko9S

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/10/18 08:33 PM

works well as a senko rod too...
Posted By: Bass-N-Buck Master

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 12:53 AM

i use a abu garcia vendetta great rod loss rate is less than 1%
Posted By: 361V

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Dosser
Looking at Falcon rods, specifically the 6'7" MH weightless worm rod Thanks in advance
Your search is over. Good choice! thumb
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 02:25 AM

If you can make it to the fun n sun show this weekend I can show you 3 rod models that you can check out. 6.7mh to 6.9mh. Thanks!
Posted By: Barn

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 04:19 AM

The Flacon weightless worm and finesse jig both really good fluke / senko rods. thumb
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 01:09 PM

I find myself using a dobyns 766 for a senko or fluke aroundgrass. I know it's overkill
Posted By: Jtunnell

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 03:02 PM

7’ MH Falcon BuCoo is what I use and works well
Posted By: Sinkey

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 03:36 PM

Anything 7 ft. MH will work. I use 7'3" just for stronger hook ups since flukes are thicker baits.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Jtunnell
7’ MH Falcon BuCoo is what I use and works well

Me too. The weightless worm is to flimsy for me but it makes a great top water rod or drop shot rod. The 7'mh is a great all around rod.
Posted By: the skipper

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo
I find myself using a dobyns 766 for a senko or fluke aroundgrass. I know it's overkill

The guy I fish with uses nothing but 7'3" or 7'6" heavy throwing flukes or senkos and won't use anything else. It works too. He doesn't miss fish or limit casting distance or anything. I can't do it though. I think the difference is line size. He uses 17 and I use 20. With the 20 I just don't think the bait sinks right or works right

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 04:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Barn
The Flacon weightless worm and finesse jig both really good fluke / senko rods. thumb

I do have an older Cara finesse jig rod, I'm just worried fishing out of a kayak about slapping the water with the tip of the rod.
Posted By: RBO

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 04:47 PM

The 5-167 Weightless Worm is perfect for wacky worm, exposed hook. But a bit light for a good hook set on a long cast with a weightless t-rigged fluke.

The AOY Lowrider, LFC-5-168S is a good choice in the length you asked for. Although it only comes in the Lowrider Series, it's been a best seller for many years.

FYI..It also serves as a great small topwater, squarebill, chatterbait,rod.

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: RBO
The 5-167 Weightless Worm is perfect for wacky worm, exposed hook. But a bit light for a good hook set on a long cast with a weightless t-rigged fluke.

The AOY Lowrider, LFC-5-168S is a good choice in the length you asked for. Although it only comes in the Lowrider Series, it's been a best seller for many years.

FYI..It also serves as a great small topwater, squarebill, chatterbait,rod.

I haven't had issues hooking up with the fluke when throwing it on a medium power rod, is there something I am missing about the weightless worm rod? I do tex-pose the hook when throwing a fluke, not sure if that needs to be factored into rod choice for me. I don't have any lowrider series yet, but I do have a Falcon Jason Christie 6'8 MH for throwing spinnerbaits, swim jigs and chatterbaits on.
Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 06:12 PM

I'm using a 6'9" BPS Morris series in medium with a fast tip.
Perfect for the weightless double fluke (donkey rig)....it stays tied on because bass always eat baitfish.
Posted By: OldChamp

Re: Weightless fluke rod - 01/11/18 11:28 PM

Love throwing weightless Flukes but had problems with baitcast rig throwing it when windy. I went to a Daiwa Procyon 7' MH spinning rod with braid and a flouro leader. Works great. MH has backbone for good hooksets and no problems throwing in wind.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum