Texas Fishing Forum

Ice on Lake Athens

Posted By: Brad R

Ice on Lake Athens - 01/03/18 02:41 PM

We begin a warming trend today but the sustained sub-32 weather down here on Lake Athens created a thin layer of ice this AM. Having no wind to disturb the surface always helps.

It'll be gone in an hour or two, I suspect.

See below.

Brad

Posted By: Fish2222

Re: Ice on Lake Athens - 01/03/18 02:52 PM

Brad....is that North end, middle or south?

Re: Ice on Lake Athens - 01/03/18 03:39 PM

Fish2222,

Up on the very NW corner of the lake not far below Athens Fish & Game Lake. Shallow water, say 4 or 5' out in the creek channel running through the center of the cove. The photo shows water about 3 or so feet deep. It is unfrozen at deeper points.

I'd imagine any other areas would be limited to shallow water back in coves.

Brad
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: Ice on Lake Athens - 01/03/18 03:44 PM

That's a rare sight. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: DBFishing83

Re: Ice on Lake Athens - 01/03/18 06:23 PM

soooo,
how's the fishing under that ice.
did ya punch a hole in it ?

Re: Ice on Lake Athens - 01/03/18 06:42 PM

flukeman83,

It is still out there at 12:35 PM, not yet melted away. I thought it'd be gone by now!

Nope, no poking holes yet . . . but I may run down with a topwater frog, give it a go!

Ha! Brad

P.S. This would have been an almost annual event in the mid to late 60s when I was a teenager. Small stock ponds froze over most years. We'd walk across them, play on them, break the ice up. Then, in the years 71,72,73,74 I was a discus thrower in college and the springs were usually so cold that I rarely took my sweats off until May. By the mid to late 1970s, a highly regarded magazine had a cover with the caption: "The Coming Ice Age." Some of the same scientists who are predicting global warming now? They once thought things were going to happen in the other direction. br

Cold temps

Posted By: Neches

Re: Ice on Lake Athens - 01/04/18 12:09 AM

I watched a couple ice skating at the power line on the north end Palestine, we walked way out there, it was froze all the way to the river channel. I think that was in 1983
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum