Texas Fishing Forum

First service on ProXS?

Posted By: i-Fish

First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 12:19 AM

I’m nearly certain I have 20+ hours on the motor after 2 months of having the boat. Are you religious in getting the boat in for the first service right at 20 hours? Am I safe if I put, say, 30 hours on it before its first service? Motor runs like a champ (had a few non-critical alarms but those have sorted themselves out) and I’ll check the lower unit oil for water. Other than that it’s smooth as butter. What do you say?
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 12:23 AM

If it's under warranty, I'd take it in. I would not risk losing the warranty coverage for failure to follow scheduled maintenance.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 12:25 AM

I service my SHO every 65-75 hours, every 100 hours is recommended by Yamaha .
Posted By: DuctsZX250

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 12:32 AM

I agree with Steez and Doug on this one...early better than late.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 12:35 AM

If you have already had a alarm go off better get it in. Need to change Lower Unit oil now anyhow and get rid of the break in oil.

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 12:51 AM

Copy that. Thanks guys! I’ll take her in tomorrow after I get off the water.
Posted By: MIKE SANDERS

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 04:08 AM

Mercury said once a year or every 100 hours witch ever comes first.
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 12:35 PM

First service is 20 hours
Posted By: Jobucko

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 02:03 PM

I have a 2017 115 Pro XS 4stroke. When I inquired on this board about the first maintenance I received the same recommendations...20 hours for engine and LU, and 100 hours for both???
I called Mercury Marine and spoke with their technical support. He looked my engine up by serial number and told me that NO maintenance was necessary for the first 100 hours and I could do it myself just to keep my receipts for the Oil, filter and gear lube. I also added the VesselView mobile module to my engine and it has a maintenance section in it where it clearly tells you what maintenance is due at which Hour mark. Engine oil and lower unit lube =100 hours. When you perform the maintenance you can update it on the VesselView APP so you and Mercury have a complete picture of what has been done on the engine.

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: MIKE SANDERS

Well...got home and looked through the manual and no mention of anything other than a 100 hour service. I then called Mercury to confirm and they confirmed. No required maitinence until the 100 hour mark UNLESS you are storing outside (prior to winter setting in) for the winter.
Posted By: 361V

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 03:40 PM

I agree with the 100hr 1st service but what about the alarms you have mentioned? Not interested in having the codes read for those alarms since the motor is under warrantee? Honestly, my motor never has "non critical alarms that sort themselves out". Good luck and congrats on the new boat.

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
I agree with the 100hr 1st service but what about the alarms you have mentioned? Not interested in having the codes read for those alarms since the motor is under warrantee? Honestly, my motor never has "non critical alarms that sort themselves out". Good luck and congrats on the new boat.

Coincidentally, I hadn't heard the alarm for 3-4 weeks until this morning after an extended period of idling. Seeing as I was freezing my a$$ off I put the boat on the trailer and took it over to Gary's to check it out a few minutes ago. Likely just trash in the thermostat. But seeing as it was a non-critical I wasn't in a mega rush to take it in while the weather was good.
Posted By: C130

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 05:38 PM

I changed my lower unit oil at 20 hours then took it in to the dealer for 100 hour service. It’s too easy to change the lower unit oil yourself and not worth the hassle to take it to the dealer for that in my opinion.
Posted By: moon75904

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 06:54 PM

to 300 hrs before the plugs or gear oil need to be changed
Posted By: Matt1212

Re: First service on ProXS? - 01/02/18 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: i-Fish
Originally Posted By: MIKE SANDERS

Well...got home and looked through the manual and no mention of anything other than a 100 hour service. I then called Mercury to confirm and they confirmed. No required maitinence until the 100 hour mark UNLESS you are storing outside (prior to winter setting in) for the winter.
I get gear lube changed once a year and do the 100 hr service. No more. Mine will flash alarm on monitor(no beep) if something as simple as oil reservoir half empty(consider this minor). You can clean thermostats yourself(I did it and no one on earth is less mechanically inclined)
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum