Texas Fishing Forum

Best line for a jerk bait

Posted By: Nitro27

Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 07:01 PM

What are your thoughts? Fluorocarbon or mono? I went out yesterday, was throwing 15lb fluorocarbon, threw about 10 times and broke the line while working the bait. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: T Bird

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 07:12 PM

I use 12 lb. InvisX and have had no issues. Check your rod eyes for damage with a cotton Q tip. You may just had a weak spot in line from previous trips and/or removing back lashes.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted By: T Bird
I use 12 lb. InvisX and have had no issues. Check your rod eyes for damage with a cotton Q tip. You may just had a weak spot in line from previous trips and/or removing back lashes.

Ditto... 10 or 12 lb. InvizX
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 07:22 PM

Very subjective and lots of variables.

Tournament fishing or gin clear water—I’d go 6-8lb fluoro. Fluoro sinks, so you may have to alter the jerkbait bouyancy. Keep in mind, that as the water becomes cooler and more dense, the relative bouyancy of the jerkbait will increase (more prone to rise as the water cools)

If you don’t want the line to affect the bouyancy of the jerkbait, I’d choose a neutrally bouyant line (Yozuri hybrid, Pline CX, or fluoro coated hiseas copoly)

If you want to maximize casting distance on light line, 15lb braid mainline to leader.

Posted By: Jaden Oberkrom

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 07:36 PM

Used to fish mono while jerkin. The line gets too weak and starts to stretch too much. I'd stick with floro. 10-14lb depending on cover
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 07:51 PM

10-12 flouro. Much easier on your wrists after a day of jerkbait fishing. Mono has to much stretch that makes you have to pop the rod tip harder to get the same effect.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 08:03 PM

Line diameter makes a huge difference in the action of a jerkbait, go with as light of line as you can get away with. My preference is 10 lb flouro coated copolymer on a bait caster and 8 lb flouro coated copolymer on a spinning reel. If you plan on throwing the jerk all day its nice to have both style of reels rigged up so you can rest one arm for a while.
Posted By: John175☮

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 08:06 PM

The lighter the line the better the action.
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 08:47 PM

12 InvisX
Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 09:09 PM

Hey jerk bait, why dontcha come up and see me sometime. Oh you mean fishing line, sorry.
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Best line for a jerk bait - 12/27/17 09:23 PM

Thanks for the help.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum