Texas Fishing Forum

Rod Recommendations for a newbie

Posted By: John Holland

Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/24/17 09:13 PM

Ok, so I have fished the better part of my life but mainly crappie fished. My son will be in High School in a few years and wants to do the HS fishing team thing. So he and I and learning to bass fish, and are looking to get going this spring. I have numerous Dobyns spinning rods in champion and champion extreme in 701's and 702's so i have fished with some nice higher end rods. Looking for opinions on bass rods to get outfitted for bass. I obviously dont want to spend 500 on a Loomis NRX, but i am looking for good quality in the 150 to 200 dollar range. There are so many rod manufacturers its hard to choose...Loomis, Dobyns, Garcia, Lews and on down the line. Any info is appreciated.
Posted By: Champion 221 Elite

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/24/17 10:24 PM

G Loomis IMX
A little more than your price range,but worth the extra for the sensitivity they give you.If you are willing to spend more,go with the G Loomis GLX.You will absolutely fall in love with them.Awesome Rod! fish
Posted By: texasAUtiger

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/24/17 11:52 PM

Spinning: Dobyns 703sf $99

Baitcaster: Falcon BuCoo MH $100 ish or better Falcon Lowrider 20 for about $170 (?)
Posted By: TinRangerJim

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/25/17 12:48 AM

Since you already own several Dobyns rods and are happy with them, why not stick with something you know? They just recently came out with the Colt series. This is an entry-level rod with a $79.99 price point. I personally would recommend the following:

Baitcaster - CL705CB for cranking
CL734C for just about everything else

Spinning - CL702SF or CL703SF

For a larger selection, you can move up to the Fury series, starting at $109.99
Posted By: H2ODawg67

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 12:16 AM

I prefer Falcon's. But, like they say, to each his own. If you have friends that bass fish with baitcasters see if you can borrow there rods, try to get different brands (may have to borrow from different folks) and see which ones you like. Sorry for you getting into bass fishing, but this is the best support group for the addiction. You will never recover, the rush is to great to overcome.
Posted By: dk2429

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 05:11 AM

Waterloo rods!!!

Castaway and Falcon are great too.. You don't need to pay $150-200 for a good rod.... They are nice, but you can get a bad arse Falcon for $90
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 02:06 PM

Falcon bucoo for the price imo. Large selection of actions
Posted By: Bill Durham

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 04:26 PM

I think if I was starting out from scratch.. brands any more are pretty much a personal preference.. there are a lot of good rod builders out there. Anymore, rod selection has been narrowed down to specific functions.. as in a Trig rod, a Crig rod, a jig rod, a cranking rod, a trap rod, etc. And in some of those cases, even specific reels for the application.. deep cranking a 5:1 reel vs a high speed.. etc. I think the harder choice in all of this is to know what actions are the best for the application. Spinning vs Baitcasting.. decisions decisions!
Posted By: Los Lagos

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 04:32 PM

Been down this exact same road, have three boys so equipment in triplicate can get pricey, here is where I started and I am very happy with all 6 of them I have
https://skeeterboats.com/About-Skeeter.php?content=owners_tournament

TFO H 7'2 for 100 off the skeeter tournamnet site
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 05:22 PM

Falcon LowRiders and Caras.
Posted By: TX Rigged Senko

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 06:28 PM

Take a look at Falcon Lowrider, Shimano Zodias, & Dobyns Fury or Sierra at that price
Posted By: TEXASJIGSTER

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 08:37 PM

H2O are half the price of some of the rods mentioned and get two set ups for the price of one. And if anything happens to one of them take it back to Academy and get another just keep you receipts.In the HS fishing tournaments equipment takes a beating because of [censored] happens with three people in the boat.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/26/17 10:34 PM

The answer you are looking for is in your signature! They make great bass rods. The Colt and fury series are priced just right for budget minded anglers! I use the sierra series myself.
Posted By: SeniorChiefUSN

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/27/17 03:00 AM

The Xtreme Angler Series rods, from FX Custom Rods, will fit the bill for you. Several different technique specific models to choose from (casting and spinning), and will be under your budget. In my opinion, you're not going to find a better rod, at the $130ish price point. On top of that, they are a veteran owned company, and their warranty is amongst the best in the business (no questions asked replacement). I see that you're located in Greensville. I'm in north Richland hills. I'd be more than happy to meet you out at Grapevine one day, to let you throw a few different models. Or you can check them out at www.fxcustomrods.com
Posted By: hurricanecraig

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/27/17 07:45 PM

Dobyns Fury series
Posted By: lucky55

Re: Rod Recommendations for a newbie - 12/28/17 12:48 AM

Not sure why cabelas rods are never mentioned. I have one of the xl ones with green letters, that was on sale for $99, normally $129-149. It seems to be lighter and more sensitive than rods I have in the $300 range. If they go on sale again I will definitely get another one!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum