Texas Fishing Forum

Monticello boat lanes

Posted By: johnathonmharding

Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 01:35 AM

Any boat lanes or hazards to be aware of?
Posted By: mudd

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 01:57 AM

South of bridge is ok but don’t run north of bridge
Posted By: Gamblinman

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 02:45 AM

Make sure when you leave the ramp, that you run out to the main lake before turning north. That initial point runs way out there.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 02:50 AM

On the north side, you can run straight to the discharge and power lines. To get to the railroad bridge, hug the shore a bit around the corner, watch out for incoming traffic and run under the power lines. That's it. BIG BAD stumps are everywhere, they will sink a boat! Some of the hardest in the state!!!
Posted By: mudd

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 03:46 AM

Those stumps are worse then the devil
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 04:58 AM

Yes exactly what they said... When you leave the ramp swing wide right, there's a long shallow point that goes a ways out there. Once you get north of the highway bridge, you can run for a few minutes towards the power lines on the right shoreline but be very cautious, I would look for a local to follow back to the rail road bridge unless you are idling.

The tree's on Monticello are petrified and will do major damage to any boat.
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 05:44 PM

Got this some time ago

Posted By: GIG'EM AGGIES

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 05:59 PM

Originally Posted By: 2015fordnut
Got this some time ago

That looks pretty accurate, I would even veer a little farther to the right after going under the bridge.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 06:33 PM

Just go slow, its the holidays, no one needs to stress out, might be some thick patches of fog, plus... I might be out there and I'm hard to see. roflmao
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/24/17 07:06 PM

Yes be careful - the last part of that run is pretty narrow on both sides. If you saw what was there when everything was still tall out of the water you know there are some real widow makers lurking on both sides, if you are not sure idle.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/25/17 03:08 AM

Looks like the government picked a great day to turn off power generating for the New Year
Should be a good test to see if everyone can keep their homes warm on January 1st, 2nd
hammer

Posted By: meP2too

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 03:14 AM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx
Looks like the government picked a great day to turn off power generating for the New Year
Should be a good test to see if everyone can keep their homes warm on January 1st, 2nd
hammer

Most homes are heated by gas so the plant was not a big part Ercot's winter needs. Summer will be the real test, the Feds wants Texas off their own electreical grid.
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 03:20 AM

Any word or update if the plant is still running thru year-end?
Or already shutdown?

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 03:34 AM

Maybe they will make the boat lanes better while they’re at it.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 04:03 AM

Pretty sure it’s already “not generating” and I believe they may have turned off the water flow too. Could be wrong on both of these but that’s what I heard. With as cold as it’s been, them not generating is very telling. Only 2 weeks away from official shut down date anyway. Please correct me if I’m wrong.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: meP2too
Originally Posted By: collincountytx
hammer

Most homes are heated by gas so the plant was not a big part Ercot's winter needs. Summer will be the real test, the Feds wants Texas off their own electreical grid.
Actually the number of Texans using natural gas for heat verses electricity is almost equal. Texas has a higher percentage of electrically heated homes than the national average. https://www.eia.gov/consumption/residential/reports/2009/state_briefs/pdf/TX.pdf
Posted By: TxDanFishMan

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Pretty sure it’s already “not generating” and I believe they may have turned off the water flow too. Could be wrong on both of these but that’s what I heard. With as cold as it’s been, them not generating is very telling. Only 2 weeks away from official shut down date anyway. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Maybe someone will be out there this week and confirm.
There was flow last Friday and current thru the bridge.
Posted By: Dwhitt

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 06:43 AM

Was there today.Water was 65 above the bridge.Fishing was pretty good.Nothing big.Caught 20 by lunch.All of them had fat bellys.Water was still coming out the discharge.Few boats out but not crowded.Just wanted to fish it one last time before it goes cold.Started fishing it 40 years ago,gonna miss it.Welsh will be so crowded next year it will be crazy.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 01:58 PM

I have a place on Sandlin and can see the power plant from our subdivisions. Quite a few days in the last few weeks there has been smoke coming out of at least one chimney. If there is smoke, they have to be cooling the equipment with water. Now they may just be at idle.

Dwhitt- it is already crowded at Welsh!

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 02:23 PM

There are only a few days left to discover a rare topical fin fungus (TFF) that only grows on the dorsal fins of mature grinnels in coal fired power plant lakes and the fungus is intolerant to cold water. The fungus contains a substance that is the only known cure for ignorance in the world. There is a great outcry to keep the East TX power plants running and all is good again.
Posted By: lconn4

Re: Monticello boat lanes - 12/27/17 04:28 PM

May have to make it back out there on Friday as I don't think I can handle the cooler temps coming later into the weekend.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum