Texas Fishing Forum

New Share A Lunker changes

Posted By: TBassYates

New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 06:00 PM

Has everyone checked out the new changes to the Share A Lunker program? It is all year long now and has multiple Classes to participate in different ways for some really great prizes and drawings.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 07:41 PM

even fishing has started to give out participation trophies now rolleyes
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 08:17 PM

I think they are some awesome changes. What this means to us anglers is exponentially more data. The more data we have the better we can understand the animal we are all so passionate about. I see nothing but positives here for the fishermen of Texas. Lower mortality, higher yields on the breeding program, and hundreds of times more data. I know some grumblers will never be happy no matter what is proposed, but I applaud the effort to keep innovating and trying to drive our understanding forward even if a few mistakes have been made along the way.

Link to changes: Share Lunker Program

Posted By: OzzieFish

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 08:19 PM

Originally Posted By: 04champ

1+ LOL smile
Posted By: David Welcher

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 08:31 PM

quote of the year
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 08:34 PM

They started that a long time ago when you could just show up to all the tourneys and qualify for the championship...
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 08:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

They started that a long time ago when you could just show up to all the tourneys and qualify for the championship...

True...
Posted By: Fishinfellow

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 09:20 PM

That program is grasping at straws at this point.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 09:52 PM

Lakes are getting old and stale and too many people fishing too little water = less productive catches

nothing a "feel good" program will fix
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 10:07 PM

Lot's of very good points in this thread
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 10:48 PM

Great another reason for novices to keep fish out of water even longer. Ya great idea
Posted By: DKennimer

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 11:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
Lakes are getting old and stale and too many people fishing too little water = less productive catches

nothing a "feel good" program will fix

I agree with Doug.

Although the program has been great in the past (and hopefully will in the future). There are so many good anglers in Texas (especially East Texas), I think it's going to take some people taking some fish. I know they have a small brain, but they have become conditioned. .

IMO, they are interested in a year-round program for a reason, to bring more anglers into the sport, thus bringing in the tax dollars through publicity, especially since the sport has grown into high school programs (that alone, shows the growth of our sport).

We have all benefited from the program, no doubt. I hope the program does great things in the future, but the pressure these (popular) waters get, has just gotten more and more. The internet has taught us so much, but has also created a huge "surge" to the sport. These programs do help tremendously in the science of it, but I think we all, need to learn how to really, "treat" a body of water. Maybe more native-strain bass should be considered...
Posted By: LakeForkGroupie

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 11:13 PM

I don't think they should have included the 8-10lb class. It should be double digit fish only. People strive for DD fish and keep count of DD fish, they don't keep count of 8lb'rs, or they are at least not held in the same regard.
Posted By: Neches

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/19/17 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter

YEP!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 01:16 PM

Wow, I really can't believe the negativity here. Did you guys read the announcement? They are not going to be accepting 8lb fish into the breeding program. All they are doing is providing folks an opportunity to report (via the web) catch information on fish 8lbs and above. That'll give them and all of us access to vastly better information on where, when, and how big fish are caught. I truly can see no downside here.

For the spawning program not much changes except the submittal window. They still need to be 13lbs or larger, but they will only take them Jan 1 to March 31st.

Verbiage from their site:

"Outside of the spawning window, the new year-round participation season will allow for anglers catching bass 8 pounds or larger to submit information about their catch through a web application in four categories: 8 pounds or larger, 10 pounds or larger, 13 pounds or larger and 13 pounds or larger with a spawning donation.

The goal is to increase the number of participants in the Toyota ShareLunker program and expand large fish catch rate data for fisheries biologists, Brookshear said. As a bonus, the new size categories open up more ways for anglers to receive prizes and incentives for participating."
Posted By: pacertom

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 01:24 PM

Man there's a lot of crusty, opinionated old men on this forum. Just commenting negatively for the sake of it. The changes here are basically reporting on line outside the normal spawning window. Other than that, the program is the same for collecting 13# fish during Jan - Mar.
Posted By: Fisherdad58

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 02:08 PM

Originally Posted By: pacertom
Man there's a lot of crusty, opinionated old men on this forum. Just commenting negatively for the sake of it. The changes here are basically reporting on line outside the normal spawning window. Other than that, the program is the same for collecting 13# fish during Jan - Mar.

We may be crusty, but we have sense enough to see that the guidelines will mean more of the mature fish will be hauled in to the scales, kept out of the water longer and ultimately end up dead or at least negatively affected healthwise.
Seriously... Isn't catching a good fish enough of a prize. Take a couple of quick pics and let 'em go.
Posted By: goodman1389

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 02:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Fisherdad58
Originally Posted By: pacertom

We may be crusty, but we have sense enough to see that the guidelines will mean more of the mature fish will be hauled in to the scales, kept out of the water longer and ultimately end up dead or at least negatively affected healthwise.
Seriously... Isn't catching a good fish enough of a prize. Take a couple of quick pics and let 'em go.

Read the article! All you have to do is submit a photo of your 8+ fish to qualify. You don’t have to take it to a certified scale, just snap a photo and put it back in the water.... same as before
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 03:10 PM

All this negatively , those of you who can see in the future should pack up to to Vegas , I'm old and crusty , I fish all the time , love to see Young Guns on the lake with the wrapped boats , let the sport of Bass Fishing evolve , cause like it or not that what it has turned in to . Will we enjoy the benifts from all this and our children will too .
Posted By: salex

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Jpurdue
I think they are some awesome changes. What this means to us anglers is exponentially more data. The more data we have the better we can understand the animal we are all so passionate about. I see nothing but positives here for the fishermen of Texas. Lower mortality, higher yields on the breeding program, and hundreds of times more data. I know some grumblers will never be happy no matter what is proposed, but I applaud the effort to keep innovating and trying to drive our understanding forward even if a few mistakes have been made along the way.

Link to changes: Share Lunker Program

Well said. IMO, TPWD does a nice job with the tools and resources we have. There are lots and lots of theories about why we do not see more 13+ lb fish reported. IMO, it is not the fault of TPWD, but a myraid of other factors. But, we have to find someone to blame, so many blame TPWD.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 03:30 PM

Not everybody carries a digital scale with them. The ones that don't probably don't care about the prize anyway.

Maybe there wont be a lot of wanna be biologists out there trying to gather scale samples for genetics either.

I just think the whole thing would achieve it's main purpose better if the prize was eliminated so the glory hounds and the expected cheaters were removed. IF, the main purpose is for the quality of the fish and not the money.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 03:34 PM

Not everybody carries a digital scale with them. The ones that don't probably don't care about the prize anyway.

Maybe there wont be a lot of wanna be biologists out there trying to gather scale samples for genetics either.

I just think the whole thing would achieve it's main purpose better if the prize was eliminated so the glory hounds and the expected cheaters were removed. IF, the main purpose is for the quality of the fish and not the money.

To my knowledge, they haven't said what the prize would be. My guess is for an 8lb fish it won't be much more than a certificate. Not all that different than the master angler program many states have.
Posted By: David Burton

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 03:44 PM

To my knowledge, they haven't said what the prize would be. My guess is for an 8lb fish it won't be much more than a certificate. Not all that different than the master angler program many states have.

It is getting closer to the Florida model, with the extra special category for 13lb fish the program was famous for. They have listed at least one of the "drawing" prizes: a lifetime fishing license.
Posted By: criglizard

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 03:47 PM

The state has asked TPWD for more data to support their budget requests for lake management and stocking. This isn't about handing out trophies to people. This is about securing funds so that TPWD can invest MORE into the lakes we fish. This program will produce data that will help TPWD with their goals...which benefit bass anglers!

Some of you guys are ill-informed, not to mention negative.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 05:14 PM

No doubt, it is an improvement over the previous program.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 05:20 PM

The Toyota ShareLunker Program is made possible by a grant to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation from Gulf States Toyota.

Gulf States Toyota Distributors (GST) is the US' second (out of 2) largest franchised distributor of Toyota vehicles. The 154 dealers in the five states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas account for 13% of Toyota sales in the United States. Per Forbes, GST is a wholly owned subsidiary the holding company, the Friedkin Companies[3] and ranked 53rd on the Forbes 2008 list of America's Largest Private Companies.[4]

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 07:44 PM

I saw something about a small tackle pack of lures and such on the video they posted. Also a jacket but that may be for the 13+. My only worry is people going out of their way to get an 8lb fish measured or weighed when it normally would just be released
Posted By: criglizard

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/20/17 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Ken A.
The Toyota ShareLunker Program is made possible by a grant to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Foundation from Gulf States Toyota.

Gulf States Toyota Distributors (GST) is the US' second (out of 2) largest franchised distributor of Toyota vehicles. The 154 dealers in the five states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Oklahoma and Texas account for 13% of Toyota sales in the United States. Per Forbes, GST is a wholly owned subsidiary the holding company, the Friedkin Companies[3] and ranked 53rd on the Forbes 2008 list of America's Largest Private Companies.[4]

Yes, very good that Toyota supports Sharelunker. They don't fund the entire program, didn't back pay for years before their sponsorship, and they don't pay for TPWD to exist. But their contribution is huge to Sharelunker and allows TPWD to extract valuable data from the fish so that they can further enhance Texas fishing, among other things. We live in a data world and I think it's wise of the state to want more data and wise for TPWD to extract more data.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 12:11 AM

They were already headed in the wrong direction. Might as well floor it and crash sooner.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 12:25 AM

Come on now guys. In all honestly, how many people catch an 8+ lb bass and don’t weigh or measure, and take a pic anyway??
Posted By: Lucky Al

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 01:33 AM

I can't believe they will even accept 8 pounders ! This is BS!
Posted By: hookedon

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 02:49 AM

OMG! I haver seen so much crying in all my life and so many grown [censored] men that can't read.

Outside of the spawning window, the new year-round participation season will allow for anglers catching bass 8 pounds or larger to submit information about their catch through a web application in four categories: 8 pounds or larger, 10 pounds or larger, 13 pounds or larger and 13 pounds or larger with a spawning donation.

Posted By: patriot07

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 02:53 AM

I like the changes.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 05:23 AM

Next year the snowflakes will probably be able to get their 5 pound "trophies" posted on the interwebs so they feel like they accomplished something

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 01:06 PM

Next year the snowflakes will probably be able to get their 5 pound "trophies" posted on the interwebs so they feel like they accomplished something

They aren't doing it to make people feel special, they are doing it to give people an incentive to report their catch information so they can have more data to make their program better. Your argument was based on false information to begin with and now you are doubling down on the nonsense. Next time try something like this: "Oh, I see... I didn't quite understand the new program initially. Makes good sense now. It would be awesome if they could figure out a way to make the states fisheries better."

A little positivity makes life a lot better gents.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 04:19 PM

Or they could just focus on stockings at the right time when the lakes have adequate water instead of feeding the white bass. Mother nature will do the rest
Posted By: 786

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 07:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta
Or they could just focus on stockings at the right time when the lakes have adequate water instead of feeding the white bass. Mother nature will do the rest

Or, they could do both (which they are doing). By the way, the whole 'TPWD doesn't know when and how to stock fish' thinking is getting old, and easily debunked as I have found out. Call your local fisheries biologist to get explanations.
Posted By: Dmfo

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 10:53 PM

from the entery criteria page of the sharelunker site

Entry Criteria
A largemouth bass legally caught in Texas waters using a hook, pole-and-line method (passive gears such as trotlines, setlines, jug lines, nets, etc. are not legal methods for catching bass and are therefore excluded).
Bass is at least 24 inches in length or 8 lbs in total weight (bass must be weighed on a digital scale).
For spawning donations, the fish must be alive and in good health in order to be transported to the hatchery. If TPWD makes the decision to not accept the fish for spawning although the fish is alive, the angler will still be eligible for entry into the Program.
Anglers must submit Photo 1 or Photo 2 as described below. Photo 3 is optional, and all three may be submitted.

Photo 1: Rigid measuring board and fish properly measured. The entire measuring board, length numbers and the bass (head to tail) must be visible, readable, and without interference. (Photo 1 with visual example) If only length provided, fish is placed in 8+lb category.
Photo 2: Digital scale and fish being properly weighed. The entire digital scale, numbers, and bass (head to tail) must be visible, readable, and without interference. (Photo 2 with visual example) Weight data field and photo documentation are required for fish to be placed in 10+lb and 13+lb categories. To be included in the 13+lb category, certified scales must be used; scale owner’s name and certification date data fields are required.
Photo 3: Angler appropriately holding Lunker Bass, 8lbs+. Appropriately means using both hands to hold the bass horizontally, with one hand firmly gripping the bass’s lower jaw and the other hand supporting its belly, just behind the anal fin. (Photo 3 with visual example)
To be eligible for program entry without documentation of Photo 1 or 2 requirements above, anglers can submit an entry by satisfying one of the below alternative requirements:

URL link to official tournament, newspaper, magazine or website published results. Link must include angler’s name, date and location of the event, and the individual fish’s certified weight (Insert in Angler Comments box).
A photo copy of an official tournament weigh-in slip. The photo copy must include angler’s name, date and location of the event, and the individual fish’s weight or length. (Insert in Photo 1 or Photo 2 picture box).
A photo copy of an official certificate of the TPWD Angler Recognition Program. The certificate must show the certified weight or official length of the bass, as well as angler’s name and date the fish was caught. Certificate must be dated within the current ShareLunker year. (Insert in Photo 1 or Photo 2 picture box).
All entries will be reviewed before confirming acceptance. If an entry does not satisfy the minimum criteria, photo requirements, weight/length is not clearly readable, the entire fish is not pictured, or the entry appears questionable in terms of fish size, date caught, location caught, or catch method TPWD may deny the entry.

Genetic Sample
Please complete the following procedures in order to provide fish scale samples for Genetic Analysis.

Remove or obtain 3 scales from the fish using a clean tool (e.g., fingernail, forceps, etc.) or from a clean surface (e.g., net, measuring board, etc.). Rinse (lake water is fine) and/or wipe down (alcohol wipes) the tools or surface between fish to prevent cross contamination (avoid any visible mucus or tissue from previous fish).
Press the scales between sections of clean paper towel (or other absorbent surface) to thoroughly dry (discard these paper towel sections – do not re-use or use for storage).
Place the dried scales between a new/clean section of paper towel and drop into a small envelope (e.g., coin envelope) (try to prevent clumping of the scales to allow for further air drying). Do not store in plastic bags.
Write your name and your submission number (from the app) on the envelope.
Store the envelope in dry conditions to prevent degradation and/or fungal growth (e.g., room temperature in an air conditioned room).
Place in business/mailing envelope and send to:
Attn: Genetics Lab
505 Staples Rd.

San Marcos, TX 78666

entery criteria
Posted By: Dmfo

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 11:01 PM

I feel the changes are good and will help provide more data and information to the TPWD. which hopefully will be passed back to us. Plus the Lunker class you only need a measuring board and or a digital scale to qualify for that class, your not going to have to call out TPWD or take the fish to a certified scale for the lunker class which will be the fish most effected by these changes.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/21/17 11:33 PM

They aren't doing it to make people feel special, they are doing it to give people an incentive to report their catch information so they can have more data to make their program better. Your argument was based on false information to begin with and now you are doubling down on the nonsense. Next time try something like this: "Oh, I see... I didn't quite understand the new program initially. Makes good sense now. It would be awesome if they could figure out a way to make the states fisheries better."

A little positivity makes life a lot better gents.

You're asking for a lot Josh. hammer
Posted By: senko9S

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/22/17 12:17 AM

all of yall trying to tell others how to do their jobs is a Texas joke... fish
Posted By: J.H.S.

Re: New Share A Lunker changes - 12/22/17 03:36 PM

Wow, I really can't believe the negativity here. Did you guys read the announcement? They are not going to be accepting 8lb fish into the breeding program. All they are doing is providing folks an opportunity to report (via the web) catch information on fish 8lbs and above. That'll give them and all of us access to vastly better information on where, when, and how big fish are caught. I truly can see no downside here.

For the spawning program not much changes except the submittal window. They still need to be 13lbs or larger, but they will only take them Jan 1 to March 31st.

Verbiage from their site:

"Outside of the spawning window, the new year-round participation season will allow for anglers catching bass 8 pounds or larger to submit information about their catch through a web application in four categories: 8 pounds or larger, 10 pounds or larger, 13 pounds or larger and 13 pounds or larger with a spawning donation.

The goal is to increase the number of participants in the Toyota ShareLunker program and expand large fish catch rate data for fisheries biologists, Brookshear said. As a bonus, the new size categories open up more ways for anglers to receive prizes and incentives for participating."

You know providing factual information on this website never got anybody anywhere right? The biologist of the forum have spoken. These are literally the smartest people in the world....
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum